C.O.W. - #113: Sound Creature - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #113: Sound Creature

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some interesting wips and drawings here!
    I posted mine in the final entries-section... but I might make some minor adjustments later this week.

davi: That's some nice and fun stuff, right there. The backdrop is a great painting in itself.

MJ: Nice start.

Mike Corriero: I like the colours and the style.

DECYPL: I like that head!

Try mimicing 'the sound' for three hours before you get to bed every night, and your result will improve... a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Cloister,
    I decided to update mine a bit, refining details, lighting, colors and edges. I left the attachment on the prior page(s) so you can take a look at the updates for those interested.

This is going to be my Last C.O.W. for a long while, after having done 6 in a row it has been fun to get back into this weekly. Good luck guys.

Artist: Mike Corriero

Concept: Shallow Swamp Loofeesh
    Loofeesh are a rather small, nervous, friendly, playful, harmless breed of amphibians. They have evolved from a form of fish into a winged shallow swamp dweller that contains elements of birds such as thin scaled fins mimicking wings and webbed hind legs. These large finned appendages allow the Loofeesh to quickly make its way from one tree to the next. They flap these wings but usually in short spurts and glide their way over hundreds of feet. During the flight they will dive and weave after insects and other small food sources.
    They also contain smaller forelimbs for climbing and other more mobile actions. These hind legs are used for additional height when jumping out of the water for their food as well as slowly treading on top of the water at night. They are capable of holding their breath for many hours though like most amphibians and aquatic mammals they do eventually need to surface for oxygen. At night the shallow clear swamps are filled with a deafening echo of the Loofeesh' mating calls.
    Some of the noises are playful, others are purely for attracting the opposite sex. Loofeesh will run around, scurrying, swimming, gliding and jumping about during the day but the majority of them are much more active at night. Reproduction is something of a mystery though because unlike amphibians, fish or birds, the babies are born fully active often in pairs of two. The babies are approximately the size of a tadpole and they use their suction-like forelimbs to hold on to their mothers back between the protective fins until they are old enough to fend for themselves.

Last edited by Mike Corriero; March 28th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Update.

Cloister, looking good man.

Great progress everyone.

Arteater: Everything looks great, except the ears.
    MJ: I really like it so far, very nice design. Creepy. Crit would have to be the teeth (they're too similar to the folds in the skin), and the texture(reminds me of your ugly beauty a bit much). Other than that, thanks for the comment.

We'll miss you Mike.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really good ones out there

here's my WIP so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge: Looks like yours is coming a long. Good point on the teeth. I may rework that.

Cloister: No fair, your creature looks gayer than mine does. I'll have to gay mine up a little more. Time to bust out the fuschia feathers....

EDIT: okay, so no feathers. But, Scorge's comment about the teeth made me knock them out altogether, add a tongue... and then I was reminded that in the middle of the sound file, the creature sounds like it's blowing bubbles... hence, the rework:

close to done maybe. I've been looking at this a lot so I gotta walk away for a while and come back a little later...

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; March 28th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my picture again. I have a feeling its too traditional and/or beginner-ish to apply here, though. Any hints?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tyrus; March 28th, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
    64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please help!!!!! i can't work out how to upload my image!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael Jaecks@- A quick note about presentation. Crop your negative space (unless you planned on adding some additional elements there). Then once cropped, make sure you leave enough room for the concept to breathe ie;(left, top right, bottom) below the feet and ground plain and above the head. I also adjusted the background it sits on to a slightly different hue so the creatures color scheme pops and stands out more. Some minute texture was added as well..just because I always think that if you're going to place your creature on a blank background, it should have just a touch of either brush strokes or texture for some minor added interest. You could move the scale chart to the top left for a better presentation, filling that space and allowing you to crop the right side. A white border might look good on this one as well.

This all seems very rudimentary and perhaps (tediously nit picking), but I think it would make for a much better presentation. No crit on the concept itself, just the layout and background color. Btw - Love your creature and the change to the mouth and the bubbles are fucking interesting as hell dude

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Corriero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marius d View Post
    please help!!!!! i can't work out how to upload my image!!!
    Marius to use Conceptart.org's uploader just follow these steps; First make sure to click : Post Reply : NOT the ..quick reply

Then as you can see in this attachment:
    1: click Manage Attachments
    2: A window will pop up where you will click Browse, to choose your file from the location you saved it in on your computer desktop.
    3: Click Upload
    4: You'll see your file name appear once it has uploaded
    5: Click Close Window

Now your image will be attached, just click Submit Reply and it will show up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Its done for now, Thanks everyone for your crits and advice
    Mike: It was great watching your work these last couple months, hope to see you back here soon.

M.J.: great work

Scorge: I feel I should have re-thought the ears now you mention it. Nice work on your creature.

Foz:This was my favorite topic so far. Maybe it should become a challenge itself. S.O.W. sound of the week. I have tons of sound fx, thousands and thousands of sound fx. Thanks for going with the idea

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arteater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good gawd, but the competition is getting tight in these COW threads. Lots of good stuff here.

Arteater: Loads of progress from your first post. You get an A+ for work ethic.

Mike Corriero: Dead on with your crit on Jaecks presentation. Don't worry about being nitpicky--that was good advice that I plan on filing away for myself as well.

Michael Jaecks: Freaking LOVE the bubbles! The colors on the ear-fin-things is really luminant. Great job.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artifex33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a WIP of my current progress and still going at it. this was done in photoshop with the use of custom brushes i have and it's working out for me better than ever.
    please crit, thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arteater: I'm glad to see that you managed to bring out a working background. The head looks great! (but I think the ears and the hands and feet needs some extra care...)

MJ: Nice progress - fantastic head there. The scales are a bit monotonous, having basically the same size throughout. Some variations there will make the thighs and the main body more interesting. (A suggestion on this point is to bring in some "invisible" yellows or greens, to lift all that purple and make it even more vibrant)

scorge: looking interesting.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloister For This Useful Post:

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALL REGARDING THE FINAL THREAD
    If you guys are not able to post your entry like it is described in the 1st post i will delete them. Just copy and paste. Is it that hard?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo hoo! Thanks for the kind words, crits from all and the paint-over from Mike. Truth be told I wasn't sure if I was going to knock in a background or not. And originally I considered more info for the thumbnail schematic side, but now that I've switched to bubbles I may not need it. I had some thoughts about shifted visual spectrums and vestigal nearly blind eyes and the need for echolocation... but the bubbles seem to be doing all the talking for me. I may drop the excess pseudoscience. Nice finish on the BG, Mike, can I just steal that? Nah, I'll figure out what you did.

Cloister you havent had enough of my greens yet?

Arteater I like yours more and more as you work on it, but the gif is making me itch a little. He's got fleas! Eeeek! heheheh. Its cool you tried to animate it though... if any round called for it (granted we can't post it as a final) the sound round works with a little motion.

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; March 29th, 2008 at 05:40 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's it... I'm done painting creatures for the week. (I made a small update in the final thread...)
    Thank you CA, and Fozz for keeping this activity going. It's always a pleasure returning to this field of friendly learning and battle!

/For the greater glory of COW

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little progress.

I had to cop out on the feet - I just couldn't get them to look right. Hopefully it's nee too bad. Favourites so far are Mike's and Arteater's, but it's all good stuff.

Of course, only looking at it now do I realise my creature doesn't really fit the noise. I'll have to change that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyrus maybe your creature's sound could hypnotize creatures into thinking that the chick is their creature is their child which causes them to feed it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry get rid of "chick is their"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very very much!!!!
    sorry to bother you people with my poor knowledge about uploading stuff!!!!
    Mike you've been very kind to explane it very well and step by step!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!HAIL MIKE!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Morgon creature

He's Morgon and he leaves inside the tank from ever because of a nasty experiment in a secret laboratory;he's attached to cables for feeding and breathing manners and the lonelyness makes him to make "that" sound,but trust me guys, is working out how to get out of there and so the fun will begins for him.........first thing on the list is to KILL THE NASTY SCIENTIST!!!
    MMHHUUAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sound creature uses the placenta like part of it's stomach and long body to create various different sounds that range from high to low tones. It can trick its prey into thinking that it is a small creature by definition of it's sound. The sound creature also has an excellent sense of smell which it uses to navigate it's way through the wet cave borrows of it's habitat. It also uses its sense of smell to track it's prey. This creature is not as much of a hunter as it is a scavenger, but it will attack anything smaller than it if there are no other options for food.

-=Lege1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok my idea for the creature came from an in joke between a friend and myself that Davi's sound clip really put me in mind of (btw, glad to hear I'm not the only one who's been running around goin "loloo loloo lollup" before crawling into my bed for the past few nights! )

the Loloo-Lolup - Descended from a race of gliding shrews it is an amphibious creature that powers along underwater looking for food in the form of insects (water boatmen, caddis fly larvae etc.) like its shrew ancestors it has to eat constantly due to its high metabolic rate.

The sound you can hear being picked up by our high tech underwater microphone is produced by the Lolup's vestigial glide flaps vibrating in the current as it races around the streambed. This sound is thought to act as an alert, warning other Lolups not to infringe the resident creatures territory.

Name:  Sound COW Loloo Lolup (smallened).jpg
Views: 518
Size:  475.4 KB

Any help and advice to help me improve my work (and not get rejected) really appreciated

~m^-^m~

get better or die trying....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lege1: First thanks very much for the e-mail and the kind words again. Sorry to hear about the shoulder, but it sounds like you're on the mend. Just don't hurt the drawing arm!

Second, this newest painting of yours is probably the most confident piece you've done for COW. The handling of the paint seems much more defined... the variation in texture is quite nice... your color sense has improved a lot over time as well. And it's really interesting and consistent stylistically. Really I think you've made some steps forward with this one. Nicely done.

Virtual Surreality: Your little guy looks very sweet and is really nicely painted. I'm looking forward to how you finish it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i hope i can come up with something, because im kind of stumped...
    i guess ill just hope for the best...
    but its as though i have a picture of what it might look like in my mind....
    but i just cant see it at the same time!

Edit: just wondering...im kinda new here, so are we supposed to hand draw these???

Last edited by josh_041; March 29th, 2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: adding a new line

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep. Hand draw.

In the larger section of the "Creature of the Week" there should be a rules thread, newly fashioned by our leader Fozzybar in recent months.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright thanx...one last question...
    after weve finished drawing them, can we
    improve them with photoshop or something right?(color, background etc)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike Jaecks: Your very welcome on the message and I meant what I said. You and a hand full of others have been a great help on here, especially in my struggles with the digi painting. I really appreciate and see how taking certain things in to consideration pays off. I look forward to constant progression and I am glad you like my piece. Thanks again man =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is an update, placed all the values down and did whatever I can to bring out the form of the creatures. still have yet to add things later. if anything comes up that you notice, please crit.

i call these "wogs" or something, can't really think of a better name.

Mike Corriero- your creature looks great, looks as if it was watercolor something. It has a nice old style feel to it.

ArtEater- I like how your creature came along, like the job done on the skin and teeth. Especially the gif animated version, that's awesome.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to REGNIRUTH For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.