Sketchbook: New Sketches and Finished work-GIO

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Sketches and Finished work-GIO

It's probably for the best that I lost track of my old thread of all my sketches. My newer stuff is more anatomically correct and all that since I've practiced from Bridgam and Loomis books. Some of you guys probably don't remember me at all. Well, I'm Gio. And I guess I'll let my artwork speak for itself. If you do remember me, hope you notice some progress in my artstyle. I don't just focus on manga all the time, I mess with Tradional as well sometimes. And I've improved my manga style to something more detailed and realistic, but still retaining Manga elements.

Attached Images Attached Images

Like my work? Check out my Official Website, Manga Cyphah for more ( look on my profile for the link) - GIO
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to throw in my Vash The Stampede sketch I did. Cuz let's face it, Vash is the shit! lol I did the face from memory but I need to use the manga for reference as for his costume. But the pose is mines. I think he's alittle off as far as the second head going from his neck down to his chest. But I still had to put him up Too much detail on this to let it not be seen.

The other one, with the bound woman I call Iron Maiden. I'm gonna turn it into a CG pic. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cheshire, the guy with the twisted smile, is a revised version of my manga character. He hasn't shown up yet. I'm changing up my manga style on chapter 4 to something more detailed. I figured manga can actually get pretty detailed, like the mangas Akira, or Berserker. So why should I settle settle for little detail like Pokemon, when i can do WAY better and more detailed work. So that's why I've been redesigning all my characters.

The WIP ink page is from Chapter 3 of my manga. I've upped the detail on the backgrounds ( which is causing the time it takes to make each page grow big time) I'm going to be using a new inking technique that Steven Cummings told me about, masking over the pencils and cleaning it up. That's how he does Pantheon High. ( He actually does EVERYTHING old school, even the tonework! lol I was amazed

Attached Images Attached Images

Like my work? Check out my Official Website, Manga Cyphah for more ( look on my profile for the link) - GIO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the vobrant colours you use in your work. Also your pencil work is very strong! I have no crits at the moment, so carry on posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I love the vobrant colours you use in your work. Also your pencil work is very strong! I have no crits at the moment, so carry on posting
    Thanks alot Spirit I saw your work I think too. Your paintings at age 10 and all that I think. Amazing for you age Glad you like everything so far I'll be putting up some more tradional work later, just to show I'm capable of that style. I just REALLY love the manga style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your color use is daring and fun but in regards to shading, lighting, and texture it needs work. Using less airbrushy brush tips will help you a lot there and also doing some value studies while working on a piece will show improvement on the finished product. Also, on the third image down, the hand that is crashing through the platform is pretty confusing. I'm assuming that there is a fist just on the other side of that platform, but the forearm on the visible side is super wide. Additionally, the broken chunks that are flying through the air don't really flow with the smashing action because 1) the fist is heading downward, and 2) there are no missing spaces from the platform where the hand has smashed as to indicate where a chunk might have originated.

I hope I'm not coming across as harsh because I think you've got a great start here and your drawing foundation is definitely something you can build upon. Keep it up.

EDIT:
    Now I see where the chunks came from, but the direction they are flying and the location of the holes still do not seem realistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. I really don't know how to use any other brushes except gradient, solid, sponge, and the scatter brush. I tried to use the scatter brush with the smudge on the muscles to try to show skin texture as well as on the horns. It'd be nice if I can make small bumps on the Behemoth's skin, but I have no clue on how to do that. Good to see you noticed the holes where the chunks came from. I thought that detail was important. I'll take your insights into consideration for future work. THanks again

One more thing, I've been told over and over about Value Studies, but nobody ever told me what it is. So you think you could clue me in real quick?

And no your not being harsh. Thanks for being a civilized human being about it. It's nice to have that once in awhile ya know? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Pills View Post
    Your color use is daring and fun but in regards to shading, lighting, and texture it needs work. Using less airbrushy brush tips will help you a lot there and also doing some value studies while working on a piece will show improvement on the finished product. Also, on the third image down, the hand that is crashing through the platform is pretty confusing. I'm assuming that there is a fist just on the other side of that platform, but the forearm on the visible side is super wide. Additionally, the broken chunks that are flying through the air don't really flow with the smashing action because 1) the fist is heading downward, and 2) there are no missing spaces from the platform where the hand has smashed as to indicate where a chunk might have originated.

I hope I'm not coming across as harsh because I think you've got a great start here and your drawing foundation is definitely something you can build upon. Keep it up.

EDIT:
    Now I see where the chunks came from, but the direction they are flying and the location of the holes still do not seem realistic.

Last edited by Neogio; March 25th, 2008 at 04:24 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.