Help with front cover
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help with front cover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with front cover

Hey all,

I'm designing the front cover for a portfolio for college work, as you can imagine I'd like it to look as good as possible. I just wanted to know if the read looked right on the 3 characters I'm using, if anything wrong jumps out at you. It's been a complicated picture for me, even more so for the raptor on (our) right because of the angle and stance he is in.

The women in the picture is sort of a queen of dinosaurs type character, want to give her an slightly amazonian look, but with some almost military/uniform outfit.

Background will be a jungle clearing with a slightly overgrown bunker on the right.

Opinions? Comments? Slating?

Thank you!

-SpiritRaptor

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dinos look really nice so far. One thing I'd point out is the stance of the woman's lower body, comparing to the motions of her upper body as well as the dinosaurs her legs look a bit stiff. Also watch where you put her feet, as the dinosaur's claws should be behind her but they are lower in picture plane, thus read as in front.

Cool work, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool idea, and a good start.

I think the dinosaur on the leash, due to his stance, should read as closest to us. He is curling to look back, so his head should be closer to us than any part of either of the other figures. That being said, the leashed dino's tail should go in front of the other dino's tail.
    And speaking of tails, I would redesign them. They are criss-crossing and shooting out from behind the main figures head, leading your eye off the page and just generally being a distraction.

Lastly, if your going to add a complex background element (like an overgrown bunker) I would suggest adding more room to the image.

Good stuff!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments Nightblue and Mute! Yeah I'll have a fiddle around with her stance and move the dinos a bit so they read in the right order In regards to making the picture bigger, thats no problem the full image isn't shown here, just the part with my main characters in, so I should have enough room to detail in all the bunker and such. Thanks!

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch the feets! The dino on the left has its right leg in the same space as the woman leg. Similarly the dino's tails look like they could occupy the same space

The womans stance isn't very natural. Try pulling on an object that raises one shoulder, your hips should slant in the opposite direction in order to create your pulling force. You could also have some twisting around the torso with interesting muscle structure, she's holding onto a dinosaur so it should be dynamic!

On the plus side I think you've got your anatomy just about perfect.

"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

My SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Thanks to everyone who commented, I took your recommendations and changed the picture the best I could. I think it is important for the two tails to be shown as the Raptors seem to look a little odd if you can't see the tail ends, so thats the best I could come up with for the tails.

I also changed the women's stance to look as if she is pulling firmly on the leash by moving her leg some, as if she is putting more weight on it. Also detailed a little more on the Raptors so I have a guide when I paint. I'm fond of feathered plumes on Raptors

Also blocked in a little of the background, however it will be changed a lot more when finished. Just in to set the scene a little more.

Opinions?

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her left leg (from the viewers eyes) look almost in full profile to the left because of the calf muscle definition. Her right leg looks more like a frontal view so they get confusing where they meet. Knee joints cant rotate so it should be anatomically impossible.

Her body looks frontal as well so its only the left leg that seems out. However...

The womans stance still doesnt seem right. Let me expand a bit.

Ive made the 2 stick figures to illustrate what I'm seeing and where I think it should go.
    Notice in particular the horizontal hips.

Not suggesting you copy the stance I made but that you see how you could incorporate the twisting motion. I think it makes her pose look more energetic and the character more powerful. She look like shes controlling the dino through the leash, the feet digging into the dirt against its strength.

"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

My SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply Halix, I see what you mean in regards to looking like she is almost strained to hold the raptor, making it a little more dynamic, Ill try a few more poses and try and get it right

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updates

Hey all, just an update on how I'm doing with this piece, it still has a long way to go but I wanted to show how its coming on. I know there are a lot of problems in it, but with time constraints with college there's only so much I can do with it being the first time Ive tried to render jungle and a female face

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure where you're applying to, but I know when I sent in a portfolio it was all about the life drawings and my interpretations from life. A lot of art programs really like to see your figure drawings and your studies, as this is a good basis for how well you draw. Right now things are looking a little off with the anatomy of your female character (Female human, that is... I don't know the sex of your raptors .).

While there isn't much NEGATIVE space, the actual subject matter of this image encompasses less than a fourth of the composition. The tree branch seems to have more importance as it races across the image at a very large scale.

I would suggest reading up on composition a bit and thumbnailing a newer composition out. You can post the thumbnails here so we can review them and tell you what's up.

I might also suggest doing something you know you can do more. You said you're not comfortable doing this piece. It's nice to spread out and do new things, but a college might look down on something if it isn't well done while trying to get in. The experimental stuff usually happens there and you really need to secure your way in. If you're hell bent on this I would go HEAVY reference.

Keep drawing and good luck with college .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    I'm not sure where you're applying to, but I know when I sent in a portfolio it was all about the life drawings and my interpretations from life. A lot of art programs really like to see your figure drawings and your studies, as this is a good basis for how well you draw. Right now things are looking a little off with the anatomy of your female character (Female human, that is... I don't know the sex of your raptors .).

While there isn't much NEGATIVE space, the actual subject matter of this image encompasses less than a fourth of the composition. The tree branch seems to have more importance as it races across the image at a very large scale.

I would suggest reading up on composition a bit and thumbnailing a newer composition out. You can post the thumbnails here so we can review them and tell you what's up.

I might also suggest doing something you know you can do more. You said you're not comfortable doing this piece. It's nice to spread out and do new things, but a college might look down on something if it isn't well done while trying to get in. The experimental stuff usually happens there and you really need to secure your way in. If you're hell bent on this I would go HEAVY reference.

Keep drawing and good luck with college .
    Thanks for the comment Quigleyer! The college bit is ok, I should of explained better. Im already in an art college but this piece is the front and back cover of my portfolio for a college project. Looking at the composition, its certainly something I need to work on, Im not too upset about the tree hogging the space at the moment, only because that side of the page will be on the back cover (folded in the middle, left side back, right side front cover) however as an entire image, it does indeed attract a lot of attention, im hoping to fix this a little by making the women and dinos pop more when I colour.

Also anatomy is a problem, Im currently looking to see if my college will do life drawing classes more as there arnt enough being done.

Again thanks for the pointers! greatly appreciated

-SpiritRaptor

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.