painter x has failed me...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

painter x has failed me...

it's not like i don't have any patience, i think it had lots of potential for me. But i've lost confident in it and it has forced me to go to photoshop due to major technical issues and the programs stubbornness with hardware resources.
    i'm runnning it on leopard osx on a macbook pro.

it started like this...one day i started using it again after a while of using photoshop. i create a canvas, 100dpi, 7x5 RGB. so the sketching and all that is working fine. so then i create a new layer choose a different brush from the custom brush library. then all of a sudden it refuses to allow me to paint with color and my brush library pallete spontaneously disappears i've had no luck getting it to show up again. the color brush strokes are working the brush creator but not the canvas i want to work in.

i tried restarting the program but no luck. so...i don't know what the deal is, i've got 2gigs of memory a fast laptop, plenty of drive space. this isn't the first time painter x has failed to aid my painting experiences as a medium.

help me out here.
    thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the past couple of months, I've been using Painter religiously along with Photoshop and Illustrator. Maybe this can help a little. Painter is definitely superior as far as brush technology and natural media effects Photoshop just doesn't have the same feel and quality.

1. Even though you have 2gb of ram, as each day passes, 1MB of efficiency seems to go out the window with each program and operating system update/patch. 4gb seems to do the trick, that is if your operating system allows program access above the 2gb ceiling. Research it, I know 64bit operation systems do.
    2. I used to walk into my studio, fire up Painter, Illustrator, Photoshop and Firefox along with 1-2 IM programs running in the background. After discovering how much of the system resources were drained and getting tired of my hard drive whining like a diesel engine with bad lifters and dirty oil, now I closeout *ANYTHING* I don't need. If I work on Painter today, I only load Painter. Same for all the other progs. If I feel it improves workflow to have more than one loaded, I only have two at a time and if I can help it, I'll have one on a networked laptop and the most memory intensive one on my main workstation.
    2GB, 4GB, 32GB of RAM, 64bit environment, quad core whatever, dude, I can't stress enough the benefits of an external USB2.0 hard drive as a scratch disk. If you do a cheapie build of off of eBay, get at least an 80gb 2.5" SATA drive and put in a compatible USB2.0 enclosure. Set it up for use with your OS and set your primary scratch disk volume in Painter to this drive. At first I didn't notice a drastic difference, that is until I started putting the pressure on Painter with large files on my 2GB RAM laptop, finally, no hiccups and the stress relief was well worth the price I paid for the drive.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some things that might help, in addition to BlackARK's post:

Read my Sticky thread at the top of this forum and follow those suggestions:

Keeping Painter 6 Through Painter X.1 Running Smoothly - Updated February 6, 2008

If you haven't already, install the Painter X.1 Update. As I recall, this fixes the vanishing Brush Selector bar problem. In the meantime, try using Window > Arrange Palettes > Default and see if that brings it back.

If you can't paint on a new Layer, there can be a few reasons.
    • The brush variant you're using only works on existing color. Brush variants that use Method: Plugin need existing color to work.
    • A known bug in Painter X and X.1 - In the Layers palette, though the Preserve Transparency box may not be checked, Preserve Transparency may in fact be enabled. The solution is to click in the box until a check mark appears, then click once more to remove the check mark and disable Preserve Transparency.
    • The Layer might be locked. In the Layers palette, highlight the Layer, then click the Lock icon to unlock it.

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the same problem. Just reinstall the program.

Quote Originally Posted by REGNIRUTH View Post
    it's not like i don't have any patience, i think it had lots of potential for me. But i've lost confident in it and it has forced me to go to photoshop due to major technical issues and the programs stubbornness with hardware resources.
    i'm runnning it on leopard osx on a macbook pro.

it started like this...one day i started using it again after a while of using photoshop. i create a canvas, 100dpi, 7x5 RGB. so the sketching and all that is working fine. so then i create a new layer choose a different brush from the custom brush library. then all of a sudden it refuses to allow me to paint with color and my brush library pallete spontaneously disappears i've had no luck getting it to show up again. the color brush strokes are working the brush creator but not the canvas i want to work in.

i tried restarting the program but no luck. so...i don't know what the deal is, i've got 2gigs of memory a fast laptop, plenty of drive space. this isn't the first time painter x has failed to aid my painting experiences as a medium.

help me out here.
    thanks.

Brian LeBlanc, Fantasy Illustrator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's glitchy sometimes, because although the painting effects are far superior to Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, ArtRage or any other digital painting software, there's more script to be interrupted due to the massive amount of bugs because of the customisable settings. I swear this program creates bugs, but however annoying (and expensive) it is, I just love it to pieces. I have similar problems to this; sometimes the brush action is interrupted by a problem the Corel guys haven't come across, and so it can't perform that action. It then sometimes stops doing anything, but all I did was shut it down and retry. Perhaps it's just compatibility with Vista and Leopard OS', because they're relatively new and there may be problems that don't fix. Also, do you have more than one Painter window open? I have 1000+Gig drive, 3GB RAM and 4 quad duo processors, and guess what? I ran out of memory with just two Painter projects open. It's a power hungry program.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.