Thanks
    Blog Entries

Digital or traditional

This could be just a stupid question, but a question that I need to ask.

What do potential employers prefer; digital artists, or traditional artists? This question i posed for all art forms, from concept design to book covers.

I could have mentioned other questions but I do want his topic to be focused on what you have experienced so far in terms of digital and traditional specialization.

Sorry for the bad title, I dared not say the bane of all; as it is not one of those topics, hopefully.

For those that are wondering why I would ask such a question, here is a little of why: I have been watching and studying from the Workshop DVD's for a few months now and I have gained respect for these digital artists after seeing their working methods, and artwork. Before this I admired artists like Alan Lee and John Howe; two active illustrators that work exclusively with watercolours. When you hang around on this forum you see both types, and sometimes a little of both. So I found the need to ask this; as many have experience both ends of the trade.

I realize there are many variables involved, such as what the end product is for; an exhibition, book cover, film/game concept, etc etc... so that in itself might make my question invalid.

Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What I've picked up from the numerous threads about this in the past, is that it's the final image that matters, not what was used to make it, and that it's just faster and more convenient to use digital most of the time which is why it is an industry standard.

I hope that answers your question

Thanks
    why not work to achieve great skill in both ?
    not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks
    both teach very important things. I find learning to draw traditional teaches more patience on placing your mark. Digital can spoil you a bit, and learning to be more confident with your placing of shapes and lines comes in very handy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Chimp View Post
    both teach very important things. I find learning to draw traditional teaches more patience on placing your mark. Digital can spoil you a bit, and learning to be more confident with your placing of shapes and lines comes in very handy.
    I agree to this as I have been painting in both mediums and I can certainly 'feel' the change of pace and the more volatile traditional medium.

I guess a good question would be, those artists that are in the film and game industry, what medium is your preferred medium?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    For production or in-house work, digital is preferred because of it's speed and flexibility. For finished illustrations nobody cares, although being able to deliver the work in digital format is a big plus.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    What I've picked up from the numerous threads about this in the past, is that it's the final image that matters, not what was used to make it, and that it's just faster and more convenient to use digital most of the time which is why it is an industry standard.

I hope that answers your question
    This man speaks the truth. I think the final image is what really matters.

However, having the ability to beautifully render something using traditional media will not only make you that much more diverse as an artist but gains you quite a bit of respect within the art community around here. As far as with employers though, i don't think they care about all that.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch