Brush creator problems
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Brush creator problems

Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brush creator problems

Hello, I wondered if anyone could tell me how to get back the brushes as they were originally after manipulating them in the brush creator?
    I played around with one of my favorite brushes (the round camelhair) in the brush creator, and now it's stuck as a useless pointy ever-changing color blob.
    I just can't seem to get it back as it was!
    Can anyone help?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Unless you saved the adjusted Round Camelhair variant as a custom brush variant without changing the name, and overwrote the default Round Camelhair variant, the solution is easy:

To restore a single brush variant to its default state, go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Restore Default Variant.

To restore all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default state, go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Restore All Default Variants.

Since you don't say what Painter version you're using, I'll assume it's Painter X or Painter X.1 and base the following on that version.

If you did save the Round Camelhair variant using the same name after making brush control adjustments, and thus overwrote the default Round Camelhair variant:

1. Close Painter X.

2. Go to the following Painter X application/program folder:

Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Oils

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Oils

3. Copy the Round Camelhair.xml file.

4. Go to the following Painter X User folder:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Oils

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Oils

5. Highlight and delete the following files:

c_Round Camelhair.xml
    Round Camelhair.nib
    Round Camelhair.stk
    Round Camelhair.xml

6. Paste the Round Camelhair.xml file you copied from the Painter X application/program folder in Step 3.

7. Launch Painter X, open a new Canvas, and select the Oils' Round Camelhair variant. Painter X or Painter X.1 will automatically regenerate the following files and write them to the Painter X User folder where you deleted the files in Step 5:

c_Round Camelhair.xml
    Round Camelhair.nib
    Round Camelhair.stk

8. Test the Oils' Round Camelhair variant, and you should find it's back to its default state.

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes! Restore default variant worked! Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!
    *glomptackles*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy that solved it. Easy, eh?

Save my post to your hard drive, or bookmark it as you may need to refer to it in the future if you accidentally lose one of the default brush variants.

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on THAT note...

I use painter 9 when I work in the labs in the library for class (i'm the only painter user in my entire class, i'm fairly sure, they can't help me) and find that default variants for certain things are different.

one such example is that the opacity is set to pressure on ALL oil brushes in painter 9, however not so in painter 10 (at least my version, which is educational version for the moment). What's up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless someone using Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5) in the lab made brush control adjustments, then save the brush variant without changing its name (overwriting the default)....

If you have Painter IX.5 installed on the lab computer, and check the Oils' variants after restoring them to their default state, you'll find many are set to Opacity Expression: None. The others are set to Opacity Expression: Pressure.

The same is true in Painter X.1.

I expect it's also true in Painter IX and IX 9.1 as well as in Painter X.

There are lots of things that are different in each new Painter version, some just different, and some entirely new.

Why? My guess is the developers and Painter users wanted things changed, to improve Painter.

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.