Sketchbook: Double-A's Sketchbook [updates: September 16th!]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Double-A's Sketchbook [updates: September 16th!]

Hello to all!
    I just joined the CA forums the other day and its been a big help for my art studies. Im not too sure what will end up in here, but itll most likely be some quick 3D models, traditional and digital art.
    Check back often to see what Ive added.
    Schoolage, homeworkage and workage is pretty hectic right now so Ill do my best to post when I can.

Comments and Critiques are always welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AA-ron; September 16th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
    "From here to the ears and eyes of the 'verse!"
    "There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer, the wills, the won'ts, and the can'ts. The wills accomplish everything, the won'ts oppose everything, and the can'ts won't try anything." - Vincent; The Black Hole
    -----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a handful of drawing I did for my sketchbook class this semester. These are more of the highlighted works. By far the easiest class Ive ever taken...five 3-hour classes, 45 total sketches needed...I wanna take the class again! haha.

These are really my first attempts at watercolor illustrations (Pinky being the latest) so go easy
    Not in order of date completed - far too lazy fer dat.

"There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer, the wills, the won'ts, and the can'ts. The wills accomplish everything, the won'ts oppose everything, and the can'ts won't try anything." - Vincent; The Black Hole
    -----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I figured tonight Id try to muster some courage and try a speed painting. It resulted in frustration. Approx. 10-15 minutes from the reference picture I posted.
    I really want to get better at this but I dont want to practice mistakes.
    Any suggestions?

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick sketch turned into a longer drawing and illustration. Kind of Starcraft Marine-esk . Midtones are set in place, I plan on adding the highlights and dark tones when I get the chance. The gun is roughed out but needs some major re-working.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey an welcome to ca,

your sketchbook looks like there is something great but you realy need more parctise. just start with some lifedrawings and anathomie studies befor concepting charakters. i think you can make it. keep posting im watching you!

cheers lateman

Searching for female mentor! ... will pay with love.

Website COMING SOON!

NEW Sketchbook

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments
    I do have some drawings from my human figure class; Ill upload them when I get home.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaron, nice start here. I agree about continuing with anatomy studies, they'll do you good! In regards to the speed paint... I'd say try again starting with completely opaque colors to block in the shapes. The photo you've chosen is essentially four jagged strips of color when you squint at it, start with those, then work the details second.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up never give up thats the artists motto

thanks for stopping by my sb.. some new stuff is up..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brinkman! - Thanks for the tips, Ill certainly have to try that out. For now Ill probably just stick to photo reference enviornment stuff until I somewhat get the hang of this.

Reject-D - No problem, thanks for checking out my sb too! Ill have to check out your new stuff.

Here are some drawings and a self portrait I did for my human figure class last semester. I would have liked to continue on these and refine them futher but the class was shorter than my liking. Ill probably be uploading some more later on tonight.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took Brinkman!'s suggestion and applied it to tonight's speedpainting. Im pretty excited and happy with the results even though it is still pretty unrefined.

This was supposed to be a speedpaint using photo refence, except it took just over an hour. BUT, I did record it and I will be making a time lapse video out of it that will be on my youtube account listed in my signature..if anyone is interested
    Now, on to boring college homework..fooey!

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of improvement here man, though your speedpaintings still seem a bit too smudged. Work with just flat colours, not texture or anything till you nail that then move on to texture, etc.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Available for freelance
    Email: ambientchroma [at] gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the suggestion EtherRain, I wasnt too sure how refined or how much time I should have been spending on this piece. Hopefully Ill be able to do a number more this weekend.
    Do you suggest just the standard brushes?

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you need help with digital painting, I'll suggest Bumskee's thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107217. He really teaches you how to make use of the regular brushes. The suggestion around here has been to just work with a simple brush and try to get the most out of that. Other than that, I agree with everyone else about going into life studies and anatomy. Building up your foundation will definitely help you later on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link, it should help out on my digital painting. Im aiming for more of the concept/speed painting so I probably wont get as detailed as the thread was explaining.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More scans

I found the strength to go through my recent stuff and scan some more.

Both the male Spatan Hoplite and the female statue were drawn from 3d models on the Zbrushcentral.com website as practice. The rest are just doodles.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried out the blending of colors with the standard hard brush and the opacity set to pen pressure. This was mainly a practice to get used to the pen pressure but I liked how it turned out I should probably color in more of my sketches this way. Plus I recorded this one too for a speed video.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New updates
    I did these closer to the beginning of the week but I was too tired to upload and Ive been bogged down with homework since then.

I suppose they are both doodles but with the face I experimented with a layer set to color, even though the porportions are horrible.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new update: school project

Hey everyone, thought Id share my current project. In my Design and Layout class we have to do 10 Moticos projects...basically mail art on 10x6in illustration board. I have four left and wanted to slam them out of the way and since Ive been so busy with homework and havent been able to do a lot of sketching/painting, I thought Id combine the two.
    My plan is to this 20x12in print of the 4 elements; earth, air, fire, water, then mount it on the illus. board. Each element will be overlapping on the other boards to create more of a puzzel piece setup. Bit hard to explain but Ill post the finals when I get there.

For now, heres the nearly finished Earth element. Im aiming for the antique Japanese-ish wall scroll style.
    For the background I found some old paper images that were available for download on deviantart, along with aging some of my own parchement paper.
    Im excited about this project

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u got tallent dude, got nothing intelectual to say really but, keep working n keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Lotet, just what I needed. Ill have an update soon. I set a deadline to have this ready for printing by the end of the week, so I have my work cut out for me.

Last edited by AA-ron; April 8th, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
    -----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks to me that you're working in the right direction. I only have a few suggestions based on what I've seen in your SB. As far as speed painting goes try to keep your brush strokes to a minimum. Really get to know the Photoshop brush engine, it'll really help you get some nice results. Try to do 1/2 art studies and 1/2 from imagination, give or take. When doing studies do your best to reproduce the values your observing. Don't let the values be relative to each other or you risk getting washed-out tones. Make the values be representative of what you actually see. Best of luck and keep those drawings coming!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks MarkWinters, those are some good tips to keep in mind. Ill give them a shot tonight if I have some spare time. Speedpainting is a bit of a challenge for me, or any painting in general since Ive only had drawing/sketching classes.
    I did just start a watercolor class so hopefully Ill have something good to post soon.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tonights speedpaint

This was painted from a small plastic model I have in my room. Somewhere betwee half hour and an hour? Im not sure. Turned out better than I thought it would have, so Im kinda kickin myself in the shorts for not recording it haha.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    S'more updates. Woot woot, multiple updates in one night! No homework rocks!

Clouds were added and woven into the mountain so the Earth and Air elements are pretty much done. The second image is tonights progress on a water drop that will be used for the Water element (go figure) which will be blended in under the mountains. The water drop is the first painting Ive had to use a reference on; theyre just difficult with all that shading. I will probably have to use a combination of references for the Fire element next.
    Although everything isnt perfect, I dont really have time to fix everything.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey AA-ron,

That self-portrait you did in post #9 is very well done, it would be nice to see more drawings from life like that. The water drop and ripple looks like it floating in the air, it needs those darker values I see in the ref. around it to ground it more.

Keep up the good work,
    Quinn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for pointing that out Quinn, I plan on working on it today. I would have continued last night but I couldnt keep my eyes open.
    Hopefully over my spring break next week Ill be able to roll out a good bunch of life drawings and speedpaintings.
    Thanks for the comments and stopping by!

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my book.

Great job on that self portrait!!! The drop of water is colored pretty well. It's not all that sharp though. Nice work altogether. Keep it going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update! woot woot

Crazy Pills - Thanks for the comments and for checking out my SB.

I finally decided to take the effort to take some pictures of my portfolio, which has stuff from last semester's human figure class. I really liked the class and hope to take another, although Ill be done with college classes in May. Maybe in the fall when I move to school in Florida Ill look into some night classes or something. For now heres a handful. Theres a lot where I ran out of time or didnt sight porportions properly.

I apologize for the glare, light graphite pieces and bluriness; I shot these on the floor of my room with horrrrrible lighting.

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

S'more!

More is better. Common page 2!!

-----------
    www.youtube.com/algae998
    DeviantArt gallery
    Zbrush WIPs
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    .are the knight's glowing pieces from a screen or color dodge layer?
    I just cant get used to that color layer, once your different colors begin to overlap. Nice work; more!
    ill answer your question here while i check out ur recent stuff..

the only thing i overlayed was the gray to brown..

next i added a new layer because i tend to mess up alot.. and i added the knights glow on top of all the layers.. added a couple brushes to jazz it up.. and boom.. too bad i didnt make a video..

awesome updates dude.. if you dont already have one i suggest you got an anatomy book and start drawing all of the bones and muscles and then draw how the muscles connect to the bones and so on!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.