Thanks

Party like it's 1999

I did this piece during my senior year of high school, 1999, and it won best of media at the school art contest but lost best of show to a pastel portrait of Elvis. Sorry it's a photo but the original piece is about 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide so it would be difficult to scan. The photo also gave it a yellowish tinge.

Even though I can't really edit it at this point (it's colored pencil on posterboard) and I hope I've improved at least a little bit since then, I'd still like to hear what you think of it.

Also, I plan on adding this to an admissions portfolio in the hopes that it, along with my other stuff, is impressive enough to get me a scholarship. Think it's portfolio-worthy?
    My Sketchbook | Crit Thread

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find there.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It seems fine apart from a proportion/placement issue with her right eye (too big, too low)

Thanks
    It's great but 1999 is a long time ago, usually at interviews they ask to see your latest work. I would leave it out because it is so old and as you say you have improved since then so you must have newer even better work. If you don't have newer, better work they will want to know why and including this may highlight to them how little progress/work you have done since '99. You could always say it's new I suppose, but I wouldn't lie. It's up to you of course but I say the newer the better- can't live in past glories forever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryCarey View Post
    It's great but 1999 is a long time ago, usually at interviews they ask to see your latest work. I would leave it out because it is so old and as you say you have improved since then so you must have newer even better work. If you don't have newer, better work they will want to know why and including this may highlight to them how little progress/work you have done since '99. You could always say it's new I suppose, but I wouldn't lie. It's up to you of course but I say the newer the better- can't live in past glories forever.
    Hmm, that is a good point. I have done sketching and charcoal pieces since then and some digital stuff (the skeleton in my sketchbook is another one I want to use, but that's still from 2003), and I was hoping to do at least one new large colored pencil piece. You're right, though, including a piece from 1999 might not make a very good impression.

I have an interview with an admissions officer next week at which I can have an informal portfolio review. I'll take this with me and see what he/she thinks.
    My Sketchbook | Crit Thread

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find there.

Thanks
    Hi Snake-Woman,

I agree with MaryCarey, you want to show your latest and best pieces for any kind of interview, whether it be for school admissions or for a job. You certainly have talent, that painting is quite well done having been done while still in high school. It would be nice to see some more recent work.

Best of luck with your interview!

Quinn