Wacom problem - wavy line

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wacom problem - wavy line

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom problem - wavy line

I recently noticed that occasionally my intuos2 will start producing slightly wavy lines. whenever that happens, I can try drawing with a ruler, and the line is still crooked. searching on the web it seems some people have the same issue, but no-one seems to know what the problem is. it comes and goes, at first I thought maybe my motor control went out the window I emailed Wacom tech support but it's been a couple of days and still no response. anyone who had this problem ever figured out a solution?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i have the same problem

i often have to draw all over the place then when i start drawing again its fixed for a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had problems with the cursor being jittery before and the tech guy where I worked told me it was because my wacom was too close to the monitor. When I moved it away the jitter went away. Don't know if this is your exact problem but you might try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you're trying to draw a stright line either horizontally or vertially.... hold shift while making the line.. otherwise... try setting the tablet properties to be less sensetive, maybe?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's an interference problem. Wacom is an electro magnetic resonance device. Often, any strong electro magnetic source such as monitors resonating on similar frequency as the Wacom pen can cause interference.

You can try to rule out the source near the tablet when you get such interference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't think its the same thing as being too close to the monitor, its a very solid pattern it makes, its not a jitter. I could consistently mimic the exact same curve it makes every time unless i squiggle all over the place

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    if you're trying to draw a stright line either horizontally or vertially.... hold shift while making the line.. otherwise... try setting the tablet properties to be less sensetive, maybe?
    uhh, that's hardly a solution. I would have to do for every brushstroke I make, otherwise it can happen whenever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by davi View Post
    i don't think its the same thing as being too close to the monitor, its a very solid pattern it makes, its not a jitter. I could consistently mimic the exact same curve it makes every time unless i squiggle all over the place
    Yep, same exact thing. It's not interference, not em interference anyway. there is no jitter, rather a steady sinusoidal pattern that repeats itself. there's gotta be a reason for this, other than maybe the tablet getting old.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds really weird, could you draw a line and post it? I'm not sure if that would help you at all, but I want to see what this looks like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This just happened to me at the beginning of February, so I wanted to chime in here as well:

Whenever I drew a line through the middle of my tablet (Intuos2 I've had since 2003) - dead center - the line went wavy like a drunk driver. I had to move my canvas around in CS2 to avoid drawing in the center, because no matter what I did when that line passed near the center of the tablet it was going to go sick house.

I downloaded new drivers. I played around with brush settings. I even plugged it into one of my other rigs and it produced the same result. I searched around on the Intertubes and found similar problems, but no answers as to why it happens or how to repair it.

I finally just broke down and replaced it with a newer Intuos3. That might seem like an extreme (and costly) solution, but I've not had the wavy line problem repeat with the new tablet on either rig sitting and working in the very same spot its predecessor lived.

If replacing the tablet is out of your list of available options, I hope you can find a solid workaround.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    took a while for it to kick in today, but here it is;

Name:  wave.jpg
Views: 5450
Size:  36.3 KB

KingUnicorn - what you're describing seems to match my experience, except it happens anywhere on the tablet, not any specific area. It's not bad enough yet to warrant buying a new tablet, but if it gets worse and there's no other solution I'll have little choice left. what bugs is that Wacom still haven't responded. I'll have to write them again I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the same problem with my intuos 2. I had the tablet for about 4 years and I took care of it.

I tried everything from calling wacom and upgrading the drivers, but nothing seemed to work. I ended up getting a intuos 3 becuase i couldn't deal with it anymore

I hope someone can figure this out, because i don't want the same thing to happen to me new tablet in a couple years.

2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this will help, have you tried killing the driver and restarting via net.exe? I use this to fix all sort of weird Wacom related issues.

The commands are,

STOP = C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe stop tabletservicewacom

START = C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe start tabletservicewacom

run with admin rights in XP.

It is possible that the driver is getting screwed up during the load sequence. I've heard on Wacom's European forums
    that certain progs/drivers loaded before/after screw with the driver. Also, that power management on the USB ports/Hub screws with Wacom too. In my experience the driver does seem to messed up with time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsujni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the problem is so sporadic and short-lived that restarting the driver wouldn't help, since it goes away after 10-15 seconds or so, and manifests itself completely randomly. It's more of nuisance right now, although a very annoying one.

edit;

searched the wacom forums, and it seems to be a problem with stylus - old age I guess.
    http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=9554
    I was gonna buy a standard, thinner one anyway, it sure beats buying a new tablet.

Last edited by dusty imp; March 18th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

The same exact issue with the sine wave is happening to me too. I have an intuous 3. I tried different ports on the computer, different computers, turning everything in the house off, unplugging things from all the walls, pulling devices out of my computer, buying ferrite chokes, ripping out the earth pin on the power plugs, going across the room away from the monitors, going outside, wrapping the tablet in aluminum foil, and nothing works.

This is nuts. I have heard of people experiencing this issue with the Cintiq and lap version of the Cintiq as well. I suspect that the computer's power supply could be the issue, but I'm not sure either.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply
    Looks a bit like the sine wave in the link above.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem as Yutani. It started off just happening sporadically, but it got worse over time and now happens 100%.

I think Davi is right about the pen, because the normal tip of my pen causes wavies, but the eraser tip does not. Now I just have the eraser set to "click" and use it to draw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really know if this is anything related to the issue you guys are getting but is quite similar.

I've been getting what looks like a 'tremble' in my photoshop (v5, CS2 & CS3) lines no matter what settings or options I try (I've also been able to replicate it exactly in flashCS3 if I turn down the smoothing option to 40% or lower).

I have spent months trying to work this out with Wacom and Adobe with no solution - I have been using an intuos2 A5 and 5months ago purchased an intuos3 A5. Since then I unfortunately have had my intuos3 replaced 3 times due to a defect around the drawing area (a small raised ridge that catches the underside of the mouse and the edge of my hand) and very annoying 'creaks' from inside the tablets. Anyway - that's a different subject!

Point is, that I have been able to use 5 separate tablets plus have done many tests (Also specific stuff while talking to Wacom tech on the phone following their instructions) and all have been exactly the same with this line issue I've had - leads me to believe it's not the tablet in my case.

I was also following this up with Adobe by opening a web-case with them and talking directly to them on many occasions via the phone - after many months, tests and them being able to replicate the issue exactly they suddenly dropped my case and insisted it was how their software was supposed to work - thanks Adobe - I paid £1,000 for software that make me look like I can't even draw a smooth line ... :sarcastic lol: good job I'm used to using Illustrator for line work! (Although I do have one issue that I will start a new thread for)

Here's an example of the line issue I have while drawing at a comfortable smooth speed at 100% zoom (same in every version of Photoshop tried on two different Macs (old G4 and new intel iMac) in two different rooms at opposite ends of the house and at full tablet cable length and right up close and with any setting/drivers I can find)
    I do have quite a few more detailed and specific images if anyone is interested.

I'm also sorry if this isn't quite the same issue the rest of you are experiencing as you seem to find it's the pen - if that's the problem for me then I've had 5 faulty pens!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problem that you're describing, The7Artist7.

I have also not found a real solution. The only thing that works for me is to shut everything down and restart my computer. That fixes it for a while, but it will usually show up again eventually.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I had the same problem with my wacom intuos 2 (a5 platinum). When i draw a line diagonal, the line was not straight but very wavy! I also had the problem that my mouse pointer quickly places itself somewhere else on the screen and then back to it's normal position.

But now it seems to work exelent again!

What i did was:

i removed the rubber grib from the pen and cleaned the plastic strip (mousebuttons). After that i took a very small screwdriver and screwed a very small screw (between the mouseleft and right kliks), just +/- 45 degrees left (counterclockwise). Then i assambled the pen back together... Thats it! and now it works perfectly!

I hope this works for you also!

Nathaniel from Holland.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The7Artist7, I have the same issue you describe here. I know it's not the tablet because I have an Intuos2 and an Intuos3, both have this problem on PS CS3 on my Mac but worked fine on my PC (with CS3 also). Also, if the problem WAS in fact the tablet, when using Painter it should have that same effect, and it doesn't. Unlike Bluefooted's case, my problem doesn't even get temporarily fixed if I restart the computer.

So when I looked all over Google for this problem I arrived to the conclusion that it was a problem of CS3 for Mac. However if you say you tried on an older Mac with an older PS version (I assumed it would work perfectly in a non-intel Mac with an older PS), I'm really lost, as I can't believe Adobe would drag such a problem for so many versions. We can also be sure that this is not the way Photoshop is "supposed" to work since I've used the same version of PS with the same tablet on a PC and it doesn't happen.

So basically so far I've just had to suck it up and wait to see if Adobe would provide a patch, but now I doubt they'll make one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bluefooted - hmmm strange that you only get it sometimes - I guess you should be glad you can fix it at least now and then!

Nathaniel - Hmm I did once try adjusting those tiny screws under the rubber cover on my intuos2 pen but it stopped working altogether and freaked me out while I prayed I'd be able to find the right adjustment for it to work again! Thankfully I did! phew!

Fedezz - Yeh as I said before I also have intuos 2+3 and yep unfortunately have tried them both with a 10 year old G4 machine using OS9.2 + Photoshop v5 and on an intel iMac running OS10.4 and OS10.5 + Photoshop CS2 + CS3. I was amazed they all displayed exactly the same issue???? It's almost like there has always been a problem with Macs and photoshop??? I just don't understand - the reason however that painter doesn't have a problem has been said that it simply has a automatic smoothing of lines?

Also this is a cool little program that very easily creates superb smooth lines - any mac user artist type peoples should check it out seriously, download it already!: http://www.moosoftware.com/tabletdraw.html it's exactly what photoshop should feel like to use! Very simple and limited but just the speed and smoothness is worth the download.

My official stance is that I'm very confused about what on earth is causing the Photoshop 'stroke tremble' as on the one hand all seems to point to the software then all seems to point to the hardware - is it Photoshop? is it the Mac OS? is it the tablets?, is it the Mac it'self, the graphics card? the drivers etc etc etc

Lets hope someone sometime hits on a solution that works and solves the issue as I refuse to accept that it can't be solved! Just have to for now

All the best to you all - I'll let you know asap if I solve it / find the answer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

I had the same problem that dusty imp described. I also have an old intuos2.. maybe 9 years old or something.. but yeah, i had these same wavy lines for a while. they were driving me insane but i found a really sketchy solution for it.....

if you remove the rubbery thing over your pen and the "clicking system"... youll find six small holes on the side of your pen.... the third hole (counting from the eraser head to the pen tip) there is a small screw looking thing. I added some pressure over it, a small screw that i tightened over it... i cleared my problem, now my pen works just fine... hopefully i can sped few years with my intuos2 before ill buy a new one ;D

if youll try this solution there is a possibility that you brake your pen completely, just be careful...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had this problem with my Intuos 2 and I have come to the conclusion after trying numerous things that it's the fact that my overlay plastic is just too worn in spots. I can move the canvas to the extreme side and work off of a spot I've hardly ever touched and the strokes will come out as clean as the day I got it. If I move back to the center, it's just a matter of time before my strokes become wavy again. Intuos 4 is on the way and am positive I won't have the same rpoblem. I just think I finally wore this sheet ( never replaced it since 2004) down enough that it's no use. Time for the upgrade anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Massikka View Post
    Hey!

I had the same problem that dusty imp described. I also have an old intuos2.. maybe 9 years old or something.. but yeah, i had these same wavy lines for a while. they were driving me insane but i found a really sketchy solution for it.....

if you remove the rubbery thing over your pen and the "clicking system"... youll find six small holes on the side of your pen.... the third hole (counting from the eraser head to the pen tip) there is a small screw looking thing. I added some pressure over it, a small screw that i tightened over it... i cleared my problem, now my pen works just fine... hopefully i can sped few years with my intuos2 before ill buy a new one ;D

if youll try this solution there is a possibility that you brake your pen completely, just be careful...
    Thank you Massikka! I have intuos 2 this worked perfectly for me.... just tightened it ever so slightly!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    I don't really know if this is anything related to the issue you guys are getting but is quite similar.

I've been getting what looks like a 'tremble' in my photoshop (v5, CS2 & CS3) lines no matter what settings or options I try (I've also been able to replicate it exactly in flashCS3 if I turn down the smoothing option to 40% or lower).

I have spent months trying to work this out with Wacom and Adobe with no solution - I have been using an intuos2 A5 and 5months ago purchased an intuos3 A5. Since then I unfortunately have had my intuos3 replaced 3 times due to a defect around the drawing area (a small raised ridge that catches the underside of the mouse and the edge of my hand) and very annoying 'creaks' from inside the tablets. Anyway - that's a different subject!

Point is, that I have been able to use 5 separate tablets plus have done many tests (Also specific stuff while talking to Wacom tech on the phone following their instructions) and all have been exactly the same with this line issue I've had - leads me to believe it's not the tablet in my case.

I was also following this up with Adobe by opening a web-case with them and talking directly to them on many occasions via the phone - after many months, tests and them being able to replicate the issue exactly they suddenly dropped my case and insisted it was how their software was supposed to work - thanks Adobe - I paid £1,000 for software that make me look like I can't even draw a smooth line ... :sarcastic lol: good job I'm used to using Illustrator for line work! (Although I do have one issue that I will start a new thread for)

Here's an example of the line issue I have while drawing at a comfortable smooth speed at 100% zoom (same in every version of Photoshop tried on two different Macs (old G4 and new intel iMac) in two different rooms at opposite ends of the house and at full tablet cable length and right up close and with any setting/drivers I can find)
    I do have quite a few more detailed and specific images if anyone is interested.

I'm also sorry if this isn't quite the same issue the rest of you are experiencing as you seem to find it's the pen - if that's the problem for me then I've had 5 faulty pens!
    I get the exact same kind of wavy lines. What I've noticed is that I get the exact same effect with mouse or Intuos4, on both my computers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

Got the same problem, but, it happens randomly, sometimes I got wavy lines while trying to do straight diagonal, somethimes the problem is gone.
    Name:  StraightLine.JPG
Views: 1671
Size:  47.9 KB
    I have a beautiful old silver intuos2 from a long time, and my pen felt in the floor many time due to my 2 years old daughter curiosity. I guess the problem came from there, old + some hit.

I also found interresting behaviour, I can fix it temporary by giving to my pen a slighly "nose" hit if I can say.
    Invert bahaviour, releasing the "interior" to the front, by shaking it in the air, will make the problem reapear right away.
    Name:  StraightLine2.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  40.5 KBName:  StraightLine3.JPG
Views: 1430
Size:  34.3 KB
    Of course it's not THE solution.

I tried to turn the screw in-between 2 buttons, but as you can read below, it could be very fragile and need a precise precision fixing the problem permanently.
    http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12483
    http://danirosen.com/drupal/node/1411

I guess it's time for me to by new one...

daprato-art.com portfolio & blog
    my deviant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The screw up solution worked fine for me! thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 20