Sketchbook: The Nezumi Works Sketchbook (Can I take it to the Bridge, man?) - Page 16
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nezumi, Awesome sketchbook! I love the sense of movement in your gesture drawings. Mine always end up so stiff.

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this is great, it would make a nice wall paper going round a room
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1292126317

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    P_Sage: Great to hear from you again. You gave me some great help a while back, and a lot of it still sticks with me. I still have a ways to go before drawing becomes more joy than struggle, but the proportion is shifting at least.

Rabbit Run: Yeah, I need to exaggerate more. Another thing to concentrate on this summer, I suppose. And I'm quite familiar with John K, especially given several of my instructors the past couple of years have worked with him. I really don't like his blogging style or opinions, but the man's a great animator, and not a bad teacher from what I gather.

Wooden Mango: That's one thing I've always concentrated on in my gestures, getting them as dynamic as possible. I don't always succeed, but it's always on my mind.

Velocity Kendall: Hah! Now I'm an interior designer, eh?

Just a bit of life drawing today. There are less than two weeks of classes left, so things are pretty crazy. Look forward to a lot more getting posted as I swing into my personal projects over the summer.

Name:  torso study 01.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  torso study 02.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  189.0 KB

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something else I thought I'd share, my final assignment from Digital Practices & Principles. Animated in Toon Boom Harmony over about four weeks, although I had a lot of other work to do during that time and was sick for a week. So actual time considerably less.

Sound is a clip from Bell, Book & Candle, starring Jimmy Stewart, found in the 11 Second Club archives.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey , thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and giving me all those links to add to my studies. Your sketchbook looks amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ven S: My pleasure, and thanks!

Nothing too fancy, just another shot at caricature. This time, Carl Sagan.

Name:  sagan 01.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  47.3 KB

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so school's out and I can get back to drawing for myself for a few months. Did okay for the term, but I don't feel I'm anywhere near ready to move forward. Therefore, I'll be repeating the year and getting more instruction and feedback. Hopefully it'll bring up my level a bit more, and increase my chances of finding a job in the industry.

So back to life drawing at the local community centre, and I've gotta say it takes a bit of getting used to. The first week, all I produced was crap, but this week wasn't so bad. Still needs work, but I'm working on it, and plan to be way better by September.

Name:  life drawing 01.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  253.8 KB

Name:  life drawing 02.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  294.1 KB

Name:  life drawing 03.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  275.9 KB

Name:  life drawing 04.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  255.7 KB

I'm also starting to work through Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing: Design and Invention, so here's a page of sketches based on what I've been doing with that.

Name:  sketch 01.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  281.7 KB

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Thursday, another set of life drawings from the previous night.

I've already fallen into a pattern I can see continuing through the summer, as follows:

20-minute full figure
    30-minute full figure
    30-minute portrait
    30-minute anatomy study

Given I'm weak in all those areas, it falls to me to keep at it this way for the next 13 or 14 weeks, whatever's left until September. Back that up with anatomy study at home by way of Bridgeman and Hampton, and I think I have a general plan.

I'd been hoping to do more animating, but I may end up just concentrating on that in August rather than the whole period.

Name:  life drawing 05.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  195.5 KB

Name:  life drawing 06.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  278.0 KB

Name:  life drawing 07.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  273.5 KB

Name:  life drawing 08.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  211.4 KB

Last edited by Nezumi Works; May 26th, 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Would be nice if I added pictures, eh?

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm beginning to sense a trend. When I tell myself at the beginning of the summer I want to concentrate on developing certain skills, I will be totally off base. I told myself at the beginning of the summer that I wanted to concentrate on gestural animation and maybe go back to doing Vilppu studies.

What I'm actually concentrating on is anatomy (Bridgeman, Hampton) and cartooning. Go figure.

Here's where I am on the latter so far:

Name:  sketch 01.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  127.9 KB

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really dig those last cartoon sketches! Great expressions and emotions there, love the guy that's shouting. Sometimes people slip into a very stiff face but the squash and stretch going on there is really nice. Love the yawning leopard too.

I think the last picture of the post before, the one with the arm, looks sort of stiff and flat... Like you were a bit afraid of going more into the drawing. I find that using charcoal and a big format loosen me up and make me more confident in shadow and light, to make the muscles and such appear more plastic. (Does that make any sense?)

Please keep up the great work!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nezumi, just thought I'd drop by.

I really like looking through your sketchbook and seeing what I SHOULD be doing. =P Your sense of 3d forms, volumes, etc. is very nice. Hoping to see more posts here soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I have just finished going through your Sb and it has been a joy!! I loved all of it but I especially like the Preston Blair and the Disney bits. Thanks for posting matey and thanks for all the advice and tips over the months, years I've been here.

all the very best to you.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're nailing down those forms nicely..this might help take them even further
    Quote Originally Posted by matt kohr View Post
    If you haven't been to the site yet, you should totally check it out!

www.ctrlpaint.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, been a while since I posted. Way too long by my estimation, I'll try to be a bit better about it. So first replies:

Saurabhinator: Thanks much! I definitely shall.

Kjesta: For the cartoon stuff, I often have a slideshow of a bunch of rough sketches, stills and character sheets from animated films and shows, about 30 seconds each, as a sort of "inspiration reel". I think the yelling guy was based on something from Mulan, I'm not really sure now. As to the life drawing, I was a bit limited in that venue. It's rather crowded, so I generally limit myself to 14x17 newsprint and ebony pencil. I should be presenting some better stuff now that the school season has started up, I can work much larger with conte instead.

Strato: Trying to get a sense of volume is something I've really been struggling with the past couple of years, so it's become a sort of main focus. I'm glad some of that is starting to come through. I could stand to be a lot better at it, though.

Lightship69: Always a pleasure to see your comments, we seem to be similar in our learning processes to some degree. Thanks for the good words!

andres333: Thanks for the link, it looks intriguing. Might take a look at it a bit more later tonight. Not sure if all of it will be relevant to me, since I'm more interested in traditional animation/comic penciling than outright painting at the moment, but the simplifying forms part of that image you posted looks like it might be good.

Today's art is from yesterday's Animation Drawing class, the instructor gave us a lecture on gesture and we spent the better part of the class drawing from photo reference. Here's some of the better ones:

Name:  gesture 01.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  gesture 02.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  gesture 03.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  gesture 04.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  gesture 05.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  gesture 06.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  gesture 07.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  gesture 09.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  gesture 10.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  gesture 11.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  gesture 12.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  gesture 13.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  gesture 08.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  41.2 KB

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cruising through your sketchbook. Nice improvement!

Last edited by liquidjack; September 16th, 2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nezumi! Thought I'd peek in and see how you were doing. Those life-drawings are looking pretty good!

Have you looked up Toby Shelton or Andreas Dejas' blogs? They might be good to draw from regarding cartooning. (Especially since Andreas posts nine old men drawings! !!)

What do you want to do in animation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rabbit run: Oh hey, thanks for coming 'round. Hope I don't disappoint, being an alleged Vilppu clone an' all (even though I haven't picked up Vilppu in about a year).

I've had Toby Shelton's blog on my RSS for ages, it's a favourite of mine. I adore rough, loose sketches and those storyboard panels of his push just the right buttons. Never thought to look up Andreas Deja, not sure why. I should do that.

As to what I want to do in animation, I don't have too sharply defined goals. I first went into this course wanting to improve my skills with an eye to doing comics, but that's changed a lot. I'd say if anything, I'm hoping to get into television work, and do short film stuff on the side. Independent shorts have always caught my attention, and what with sites like Vimeo it's a bit of a boom period for them. Hard to make a living doing them though. In general, I'd just be happy getting steady work in the industry.

liquidjack: Thanks! Hope to be posting some more dramatic improvement over the next few months. Watch this space!

Should post some art, so here's a value study of some eggs that I did this afternoon for class. Not really that happy with it, I really need to put more focus into doing these. Probably use my mannikin more for it than eggs though, I hate wasting the food.

Name:  values 01.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  49.2 KB

Last edited by Nezumi Works; October 5th, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little more schoolstuff, a layout I just passed in. Still not happy with it, and may implement further changes once Xmas vacation hits in a couple of months, but it's come a long way from very humble beginnings. The assignment was a three-point perspective piece as an establishing shot.

Name:  nieforthk_thumbs02.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  nieforthk_3point_rough.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  nieforthk_3point_rough (2).jpg
Views: 869
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  docks 02.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  117.9 KB

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nezumi, you've got some good stuff going on here. my only crit would be to pay attention to structure and major forms more, since some of your drawings tend to flatten out. hope this paintover helps.

anyway, keep up the good work. the 3 point perspective layout is looking promising

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eightball_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few thumbnails for a pan background I'm working on.

Name:  nieforthk_panthumbs01.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  183.4 KB

Edited to add: My instructor picked the library one, which works since that was my favourite anyhow, and the easiest to alter so it hooks up into a cycle.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nezumi! You're doing great work here; I like how you're working through different aspects of art/animation and improving on the weaknesses! From what I see, you're getting better and better with expressions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I don't like the lighthouse and it's position in the harbor picture. It suggests a straight coastline (not a good harbor), and for that, it's incredibly far away for a fin de siecle-style (1900) harbor settlement. What about some more ship- and boatmasts instead? On old pictures, harbors tend to look like a "floating forest". Maybe even a furnace? Or is it antiindustrial fantasy? The rings of the lighthouse and of the ropes attached to the ship's "Klüver" (don't know it in english) point too far away from the onlooker, I think. And hey, these ropes would break it away at the first breeze. My favourite is the anchorsign. The tavern is really cool.

Whoa! The windows! You need something to shut them!

Last edited by Braunflor; November 20th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
    fail better on the next try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

Nice perspective work, I like those a lot matey, good ones.
    I dont have a problem personally with the lighthouse I mean they are not rendered or anything so they are works in progress that are going through stages of refinement. You may even be just doing practice works so we can just concentrate on the way its done which I for one (low skils admittedly) cant see any faults in it.
    I cant wait to see it finished off though it looks good.

all the best my mate.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digging the progress, Nez. And I gotta say, I'm definitely needing to up the ante with my own interior/environmental work after seeing your work. Thanks!

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice progress

Sketchbooks are super motivational. I think your progress is awesome, and it really helps seeing how someone improved and struggled.

Also, you are also from Ottawa, apparently, which is pretty kickass too

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, sorry it's been so long since I've posted. A lot's happened since the last time, the most significant being my quitting school in March. Or more accurately taking a break from animation courses and pursuing independent study. I'd been having rather a crisis of confidence for some time, and it was affecting my work, so better not to keep bashing my head against a wall and do something more productive.

So with that in mind, it's back to the basics. In this case, I'm studying hands via Sycra's excellent tutorial here. I'd use Loomis, but I've always found that part of Drawing the Head and Hands really hard to follow, and it seems more like a random jumble of hand drawings than any sort of lesson. If anything, I'm more likely to look at Bridgeman or even Hogarth on this one, although I'm open to suggestions.

That said, here's a few pages. I've got to use photos because I'm working on cartridge paper and there's no way it's gonna fit into my scanner. But it's so nice to work on using ebony black pencils, and I can draw nice and loose without worrying about the edges, so I ain't gonna change any time soon.

Name:  hands 01.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  hands 02.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  hands 03.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  62.7 KB

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your cartoony style, the carricatures and nudes. I hope
    you PoP in my sb sometimes. No feedback for now, just browsing!

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Members who have read this thread: 8