Sketchbook: Favila's new sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Favila's new sketchbook

This is my new sketchbook. I abandoned my old one some months ago because I was too lazy to scan my sketchbooks and drawings... you can still visit it, here. I've decided to make a new thread because the old one wasn't very popular, I mean, almost nobody replied it, and I think it's because the first page is too crowded with bad gesture studies that take ages to load.

My purpose is to finally mantain an updated sketchbook, I want this to be more about actual sketches than about studies, but I might post studies as well.

Here are some of my latest sketches and drawings, two pencil sketches (one of them I got inspired by the "plague doctor" topic of a recent chow challenge) and some digital color sketches using sketchbook pro

There's three things that bug me the most about my art
    -line quality
    -I tend to do just sketches and no finished works (or quick works to pass some school assignment)
    -color

I also have to do a lot of anatomy and perspective study, but that doesn't worry me that much, as I already know ways to solve it. With color and line quality I'm lost, and finishing/polish works I have no idea, the few times I tried I always get a very unclean, dirty, ugly look.

Also, what can I do to get more feedback from people? I know I should also reply to other people's sketchbooks and I'll do, but is there any other way to attract more attention and comments that could help me? (besides spam ¬¬)

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a work in progress for a class assignment (I did a pencil line art and colouring with photoshop)

btw: I didn't know CMYK jpegs filesize was so big compared to RGB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great (new) start. You need to put more work in your construction and perspective. If you want to improve draw a lot from observation and post those studies. Don't try to make pretty pictures but focus more on learning from what you are making. Do you have the books by Andrew Loomis? He covers all the basic knowledge you need to have in order to grow as an artist. Now keep posting because I'll be keeping an eye on you!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your help. I agree with you, I need more perspective study. I have the Loomis books, which one do you recommend me to follow right now?
    Again, thanks for the help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't have the books with me right now but I think in succesfull drawing he handles the basics of perspective, lighting etc. so that would be a good start if that is what you want to work on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very much, I'll take a look at it.

By the way, I finished my class assignment... There's things to polish, but I have to move on, and I'm satisfied enough with the result.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    part of another class assignment, this is for an animation project (we only get to do the design part in this class)

this would be the main character, I've also done 2/3 of a pre-storyboard today. This is the first time storyboarding, so don't be too hard!!! But suggestions would be VERY welcome . I started with pencil thumbnails but then I started to do it digitally. I think I'll change the pencil panels to match the others.

A quick summary of the plot: some viking king sends 3 of his men to warn the inhabitants of a nearby island that he's a crazy guy and he'll take the island by force if they don't surrender. Our hero (Kanchill) is sent by the vikings to tell the king of the island this information, and to prove just how mad is the Viking Boss, they bring a waterskin full of blood of their King. So Kanchill is very worried but then he has an idea, asks his friend Jamajojo (a cook) to give him a pot full of tomato sauce, he does. Then our hero returns this pot to the vikings who get very scared seeing just how freaking mad the King of the Island must be to fill that pot with his blood, they go back home and the viking boss decides it's better to let the island alone.

It's based on a legend about the island of Java and the island of Borneo

Not making a lot of sketches and studies these days. I've been ill and have a lot of homework. I'm on easter holidays and I'm trying to catch up :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This morning I decided to break the routine of the last week and made a link redesign just for fun, and to compare to a link redesign I did 1 year ago. I tried to emulate prometheus_anj technique, and for the first time I understood it (at least partially). I like the result to be honest. This week I'm starting to feel I actually like what I'm producing, it's sooo exciting and encouraging, I want to draw and paint more! I still see lots of things to improve, but still, it's a new feeling for me

this is the old one (february/march~ 2007)
    Favila's new sketchbook

and this is the new one (march 2008)

Members who have read this thread: 1