Sketchbook: suddenly, a sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

suddenly, a sketchbook

Hi CA! I started learning to draw a week ago(actually it was on March 11th). I'm 23yo, a total newbie who wants to become good at drawing. I'm doing these 30 second sketches on posemaniacs.com daily. Started studying Loomis. I'm also drawing from photo references and sketching from mind, I've got no courage to draw on the streets yet or to draw friends(they expect masterpieces which I can't provide). Anyways I'm going to get better at this so any comments are welcomed and highly appreciated.

suddenly, a sketchbook
    First task from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain- self-portrait. Did it in 4 hours, half of the time battling with the eyes, I still got em wrong. Also hair look very stupid ._.

suddenly, a sketchbook
    30 second sketches from posemaniacs.com, I'm doing about a hundred daily.

suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook
    random doodlings

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lvl0; April 2nd, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One-night studies of House's head.

Last edited by lvl0; March 25th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latest sketches and doodlings.

suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook
    suddenly, a sketchbook

as i said before i'm doing a lot of 30-sec sketches from posemaniacs.com daily, so here's what i've done today:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're certainly on the right track with all your studies - the strongest drawings below are those where you have less tentative lines; where you commit to the stroke and end up with a CLEAN finish. It shows your confidence and it also helps you learn faster, since you can see the lines that you were thinking of most. Anyone can sketchsketchsketchsketch find the line, but you learn from committing yourself to your mistakes and having them out in the open.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I didnt watch my buddies die face down in the mud....."

Nice start, good to hear your practicing lots-it's the only way to get good at this drawing malarkie. One thing you might want to try is to get more fluidity in your lines. Rarther than short, sharp lines that make one long line, try to make the stroke in one continuous motion. You'll definatly make mistakes, and go off track, but after some practice you'll start to get the hang of it, and your lines will be a lot prettier. Keep it up!

*Edit: haha, lake got there 1st while I was typing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the above.

Your gestures are good and loose, but try to keep them reasonably tidy with longer smoother lines so you/we can actually see what's going on. Also, for your portraits, while quantity is important to improve, with each one, you could try to focus on improving one particular feature, e.g. eyes or mouth.

You clearly are eager to learn and improve. If you can, set aside a few hours a day if you have that much time, and just draw page after page.

Improvement will come by the bucketload if you stick at it regularly.

"Look what they did to you Charlie!"
    Sketch... book?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lake thank you. will do.

daveneale thank you. got that

Mez tidy, huh? i'll try. yes, i'm planning to start working on features in near future. thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a bit of Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesomely confident lines! But your confidence belies your impatience. These anatomy studies, while clean, look rushed. take the time to "ghost" your lines above the paper until you're sure that the one you put down is the right one.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lake Thank you very much for "ghosting", I didn't know about it.
    Personally, I wouldn't call these sketches "studies" because I indeed drew them too fast. I want to familiarize myself with anatomy, so that I won't be scared of tackling this subject, what I'm obviously afraid of doing now

ok, a bit more Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for the comment in my book. You sure are doing all the right things to get better. I recognize quite a few faces so good job with capturing the likeness. I spotted Hugh Laurie, Sacha Baron Cohen, and John Goodman.

It is kind of strange... the anatomy is off on some of these but you still capture the likeness quite well. I would recommend trying to hold on to this style that you have... not really sure HOW to hold on to it but I think your drawings are really quite unique.

Keep working hard at it... we are pretty much in the same boat only I started about 7 months before you (we are the same age and just began working on our art). It will be fun to see where you are in the future!

Good luck!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay ! It is obvious that your are fast learning girl! Good studyes i like them! But you should try to draw some more body postitions, very good start for this age KEEP going! Ill keep an eye on your SB! ( don't forget the shadows )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i like your posemaniacs drawings,draw them more,they will help you too much in future.
    maybe I'm wrong,but i think it's better to draw what ever you like,it's not necessary to draw skulls and anatomy everyday.but it's very important to draw at least one page each day.
    at all,I'm sure that you can open the gate by yourself.keep it up man.

Need your critique
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hmanafi View Post
    wow i like your posemaniacs drawings,draw them more,they will help you too much in future.
    amen for that ! i would to say the same

nice starting with your sb, try to work more from nature stuff, maybe change a medium that u draw..charcoal is nice for fast (3min.) value sketches..make them a lot..at least 3 a day

it will work

wish u a creative new year!

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your skeletal studies ^+^ for some reason mine always end up looking like characters from lego toytown or something =p but I read in one of the other threads that you're afraid to start shading yet.. dont be.. I taught myself and I've found that the shading is the easiest and most satisfactory part (most of the time =p) with yout portraits try just an oval (or whatever the basic shape looks like, could even be a square ot a triangle). then just keep breaking it down to marking the shapes of the head like the jawline and ears and so on. Plave a light like to where the eues and nose and such go then draw the light lines for their basic shapes. then, of you're happy with what you see so far (should have a pretty decent map) start drawing the shadow shapes and built on them from light to dark and you should be set failing that try a grid for a little while. It should help you get a better understanding of all the features and their placement the once you get bored of the grid you can go do drawing without it.

Hope that helps a little. Just puttin me 2 pennies worth in ^+^ I mean every artist is different. I spent loooooong hours at the library looking up different techniques to try and find one thats I was comfertable with and, as odd as it may sound, for me, different subjects often require a different technique. I knwo I'm probably weirs but I DONT CARE RAAAHAHAHA BOOGIDY BOOGIDY BLAAAHH BLAHHH =p anyway .. good luck ^+^

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.