Art: My journey - From beginner, beyond..

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My journey - From beginner, beyond..

I dont have any sketches to post with this because I have been working on paper and dont have a scanner nearby. Anyway, I am very frustrated. In the past 24 hours I have racked up probably 4 hours of draing nothing but spheres (using Loomis' crosshairs method) and well...I am having some problems making them right!

Maybe I am missing something in my technique but after drawing the sphere I am having a tough time seperating it into 4 quadrants.

Generally it is not the north-south line I am having a problem with but rather the east-west line.

Maybe I am not making any sense but I am sleep deprived. I will post some sketches later after I get home. If anyone has any ideas, tips, etc...bring em on.

Last edited by van; October 1st, 2003 at 04:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crosshairs method? Which book?
    I thought the cross was only important for the placement of the features of the head.
    I guess I'm wrong though.

So the problem is that the circles are not round?
    Or don't they look like spheres?
    I guess it would help if I knew what the crosshairs method is :emb:

Maybe you try to work too fast. Try to draw really REALLY slow.
    Don't increase the speed until the circles look like circles.
    I think a teacher once said that circles should only be drawn in one direction.
    Try clockwise and counter-clockwise.
    Maybe anybody knows more?

Good exercise btw. I should do that too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sig. I refer the dividing of the sphere into 4 quads as the crosshair method. You are right...the crosshairs are for locating features on the face. They are also where the north/south and east/west lines meet. The presence of these lines turn the circle into a sphere.

I can draw circles in my sleep now. :p My problem is making it looks spherical. Maybe I should just pass this on. I dont have a problem shading a ball to make it look spherical...its just this line method!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, just to add...I am trying to draw a little slower right now and see if that helps me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Signature

I think a teacher once said that circles should only be drawn in one direction.
    Remember...not talking about circles, but spheres. But at any rate I have become pretty proficient at drawing circles. My method is using a 'block in' type of approach. I work very fast and lightly go clockwise/counterclockwise until I get the sphere blocked in with my mess. Then I go over the inside edge and voila. I like doing it this way, but like I said...spheres are the bane of my existence today...not circles. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see. Making them look like spheres with lines ...
    I'd like to take a look at the Loomis Book. In which one is it?

Fun With A Pencil?
    Drawing The Heads And Hands?
    Successful Drawing?
    Figure Dra....?

Btw I think it's a good idea to draw the circles in one motion.
    Or at least that should be the long-term objective.

I like your attitude btw
    You should write that part of the Middle Class lessons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see. Making them look like spheres with lines ...
    I'd like to take a look at the Loomis Book. In which one is it?
    Head and Hands is the one I am currently working through since you and Cashmere have been whipping my butt in the hand drawing session we have going. Of course, then I get stuck on this. *sigh*

Btw I think it's a good idea to draw the circles in one motion.
    I would also recommend this to people, especially those just starting out (listen to me...like I have been doing this for more than 3-4 weeks myself :p), but I have found myself to be a little too impatient to deal with my mistakes. Using the block in approach allows me to work fast and see the circle being developed like molding it with clay.

I like your attitude btw
    Thanks! I appreciate your reply. This forum is great...I just wish it had more a technique based threads.

You should write that part of the Middle Class lessons.
    I will. I will write up a step by step and include a wpe so people can see what I am doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After staring at my mutitude of little balls here (stop laughing!) I have come to the conclusion that I might be being a tad bit anal retentive. Perhaps the 'guidelines' dont have to be perfect since they are used only to guide in setting up the shape of the head.

I guess I can move on and see if it hinders me up the road. If it does I can always knock myself back a step.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly. Or start each drawing session with circles and spheres.
    Then do more challenging stuff.
    And HAVE FUN! :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly. Or start each drawing session with circles and spheres.
    Then do more challenging stuff.
    And HAVE FUN! :chug:
    Heh. You mean your drawing sessions end?! I woke up this morning...sat up in bed and grabbed my pad and did some sphere doodles (continued form the previous night before bed). After a shower I was off to work. Waiting for my biscuit I drew some more spheres. Got to work today and well, I draw all day long here at work. I am a programmer so I code a bit and then draw a bit then code a bit...etc. At lunch I drew some more spheres sitting in my truck. And now here I am drawing some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I couldn't move on until I got it right....but I did get it...finally.

I really need to get a scanner here at work. I almost never have any time at home to scan stuff up. I either drawing or playing with my kids and wife. I will try to scan tonight, because I want to make a progression thread much like McM's thread.

I did my first self portrait last night. It was a quickie, but I did it and it wasnt too awful, actually. I also was able to sketch my wife's face in 4 different positions while she slept. These were all under 15 minute sketches, too. (I have a cough right now and I kept waking her up :p)

Right now I am still working through the loomis book, Heads and Hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you're doing your crosshair, remember that you're "slicing" your sphere. Like a plane going trough it and cutting it. If you're doing the standard half/half slicing, there shouldn't be any perspective issues.
    Maybe this little babble is a wee bit too late, and if so, I'm sorry ! If you want a few explanatory sketches, don't hesitate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by egerie
    When you're doing your crosshair, remember that you're "slicing" your sphere. Like a plane going trough it and cutting it. If you're doing the standard half/half slicing, there shouldn't be any perspective issues.
    Maybe this little babble is a wee bit too late, and if so, I'm sorry ! If you want a few explanatory sketches, don't hesitate
    Feel free to post some sketches for the sake of completeness. As soon as I scan all my stuff from the past few days I will post my mess as well.

My problem was the 'curve'. Putting the lines in the right places to distinguish the four quarters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you establish the horizon and draw the spheres inside a box?
    Like that you can construct the planes that contain the ellipses.

I guess you know that tutorial already!?
    http://www.drawthrough.com/tutorials/index.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you establish the horizon and draw the spheres inside a box?
    Like that you can construct the planes that contain the ellipses.

I guess you know that tutorial already!?
    http://www.drawthrough.com/tutorials/index.html
    Yah. I have run through those, but ya know...always time to do it again. I am drawing some tomatoes right now that are kicking my ass. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a break from still lifes and its back to spheres and head construction. So, guess what? I am freaking moron. I guess I didnt read carefully enough but have of my problem with the spherical construction was I was not paying attention to what would be the end result. The human head. I kept wondering...why are my spheres not looking like spheres?! Well, it was because I was not using my imagination during the process and seeing what was to become. I also did not pay attention to Loomis' instruction on the contruction process when he mentions that the brow line, forehead line, nose line, and chin line are all equal (give or take a little bit).

Anyway, just goes to show that mechanical technique does not produce the best results. You also have to use your imagination always.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry everyone. I know I promised to post sketchbooks pages but I still didnt get to scan anything. I will tonight. And I will make a commitment to start a daily sketchbook thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, following through Loomis' heads and hands book I have passed through my spherical problems but have run into another block. I seem to be having a big problem visualizing and drawing the human head in a 'looking up' position.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by van
    I also did not pay attention to Loomis' instruction on the contruction process when he mentions that the brow line, forehead line, nose line, and chin line are all equal (give or take a little bit).

Anyway, just goes to show that mechanical technique does not produce the best results. You also have to use your imagination always.
    I am going to keep posting...maybe this will help someone down the line. Feel free to join in if you have anything to add.

I have found that the 4 lines of the face being equal theory goes right out te window when the head is pointing up or down. I am guessing this is because of foreshortening. Whatever it is...it has totally thrown a monkeywrench into what I *though* I knew. So...I am going to experiment and see what I can come up with after studying some more of Loomis' heads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just constructed a head successfully looking up. I basically had to abandon Loomis' method because it doesnt really work out. For the most part I used my imagination and felt where the 4 face lines needed to go. Again...I will start posting some sketches to back up my progress here after I do some scanning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I renamed the thread...and I will probably just use this one to start my daily sketches, too. Mod or admin might want to move this to the proper place if it needs to be moved. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. I had to take a break and look at some other's sketchbooks to keep from throwing my pencil across the room. Back at it. Now, here is what I have found in the last 10 minutes of working...

I did some more quick tries at the head facing up and after much frustration went back to the normal face forward position. Using Loomis' method to set up the head I abandoned the use of 'lines' to bring out the features and started doing some shading to bring out the features in the face. I found myself sculpting the face which seemed much easier than trying to draw lines to create the features. It went quite well. I will now try this approach on the face up problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. It does help. Starting with a Loomis' foundation just to locate the brow and then feeling out the reast of the facial features using shading to bring them out is the best way to construct the head.

At least...for me. Your mileage will definitely vary, but if you are starting out like me you will probably find this very helpful and it will save you countless hours of headaches.

Members who have read this thread: 1