Please rip this a new art hole.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cliche space marine, I'm trying to get more comfortable with color with this ( I usually paint in grayscale) as well as just plain speed things up, since it takes me much longer than I think it should to paint digitally.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your dudes head looks very green, you might want to go for a more fleshy colour (there will be a decent amount of bounced orange hitting the skin from the suit too). I'd also look at the nose...where it joins the forehead-basically if you look in a mirror at the same angle you've drawn the guy at you'll notice that the nose curves round to meet the top of brow, and isnt joined straight to the brow like you've drawn it, adding this join may cover the left (as we see it) eye a touch, but this is how the head works. I'd also maybe push the darks in the joins/grooves in the suit. YOur moving in the right direction, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Color scheme is nice and armonic, but the essence of the concept design is drawing of 3d form. It isnt quite clear how it should be modeled.

Also the concept of the samurai is not clear. Search for the traditional costumes.

Draw the whole figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the guys pose is boring, plus his bottom half is missing. Cutting off the central figure like this is never a good idea. Also he looks like he really doesn't want to be stuck in the suite, given his facial expression.

As far as the colours go; I don't like em. His head is green, and the pinkish stuff seems really out of place. Also the orange is really saturated and almost hurts my eyes, there's so much of it.

He's also holding the sword (?) kind of oddly, and the handle seems huge compared to the rest.

Everything feels very flat, the shoulders especially. The scratches make this even worse: they don't follow the form of the shoulder. You really need to work on rendering 3d form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to sort out the 'line' before focussing on painting it. However, if you want to go ahead with painting perhaps you might try copying a line image from someone else and paint that? Copying is the best way to teach yourself as there are no two ways about it - either it's right or it isnt, and you'll be able to see that for yourself and learn alot - least it helps me!

It's good to see the small thumbnails focussing on detail though

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    apart from what everyone else said the sword looks really terible, like a big fat toy, reminds me of this kind of stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I think I'm just going to scrap this and start something new, there' s just too many things wrong with it and I was never very enthusiastic about it to begin with. Thanks for the crits though.

I played around with levels and I think I got it right this time, I think my monitor is just funky or something, since it does look oversaturated on other monitors I've looked at it with. I also think it would help if I started actually having concepts before I painted rather than just made things up as I went, I really wasn't going for a samurai type of thing but I can totally see it now.

EDIT: aaand now it's too dark when I look at it on another monitor, N\M

Last edited by humboldt squid; March 13th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    having the face next to all the red of the suit will give it a green tinge. compensate for this by going a bit more red than skin is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by humboldt squid View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm just going to scrap this and start something new, there' s just too many things wrong with it and I was never very enthusiastic about it to begin with. Thanks for the crits though.

N\M
    why post something you are not enthused about? post some greyscale work and let us critique that. then you can see where you need to go.... plus greyscale plus overlay layers= color work

How come? --- Eminem
    My website is here

Members who have read this thread: 1