Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)

Thanks to all who has stopped by and/or commented the project. You guys did me a really huge favor and really really helped the project along! I'm wrapping everything up and giving a presentation for the project next Thursday. If you have any critiques, comments, and suggestions about any of these pieces please do toss them at me. I appreciate all of your help and support!

================================================== =======

Thanks for stopping by my thread! I'm a graduate student of Art Creation for games at Guildhall at SMU, TX. This is a 2-month focused study for my school. I chose to concept out a character, her weapons, vehicle, and environments, create character sheets, weapon sheets, vehicle sheets, and render out 2 environment concepts. The project started on March 11th.

I'll be updating this thread periodically. Meanwhile, I'd love to get your opinions on anything and everything. this is also why I made the thread here instead of the WIP forum - it seems people tend to be less "nice" and more helpful here. Thanks in advance!

Kicking off the project are some thumbnails and sketches for the character, her weapons and items, and vehicles. Meet Aura the treasure hunter. She lives in a world built on top of the ruins of our beloved modern world, and has recently set foot in a once beautiful but now seedy town searching for a long-rumored treasure.

Last edited by Nightblue; April 24th, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A lot of interesting ideas here. My only suggestions would be to be careful about your perspective when you do your vehicles and watch your figure proportions. All of the left arms look off. You don't want weird proportions to distract from your concepts.

Thanks
    Woodbert: Thank you very much for taking the time to comment! I'll fix up the anatomy in the finalized skeches, hopefully coming soon. I do get a bit confused when it comes to the arm behind, for some reason.

Update: enviro thumbs. The idea is still "new and old-fashioned" combined with "worn but modern", aiming to make things look seedy and used. I'm doing an interior environment of a bar, and an exterior environment of the town. Thanks in advance for pointing out anything you see!

Thanks
    i think you're on the right track. keep going, draw and post every day if you can. and if the school has life drawing classes, get into them as often as possible. if you dont have them as a class, get in good with the teachers, loan them a cigarette or something. usually they'll let you sneak into a class.
    oh, and for what you're doing right now i would highly reccomend you pick up this book, "the skillful huntsman"
    the kids who are in this book did exactly what you're doing now, characters, weapons, creature, environments, vehicles, etc. you can see their process.
    check it out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Skillful-Hunts...5526511&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Beautiful drawings, i love all the detail. The proportions are good too. I'd like to see them colored.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by complete2 View Post
    oh, and for what you're doing right now i would highly reccomend you pick up this book, "the skillful huntsman" the kids who are in this book did exactly what you're doing now, characters, weapons, creature, environments, vehicles, etc. you can see their process.
    check it out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Skillful-Hunts...5526511&sr=8-1
    I also second the recommendation to get that book. It's one I have at home and I've referenced it myself to help me update my portfolio.

Good to see the variety of ideas you have for your character and the various sets and elements for your story.

I'm a little confused about your use of wooden barrels throughout the bar setting -- not sure why your bar would use them so much to build furniture when aged caskets are highly valued for aging liquor? And if wood is so plentiful, that the bar owner would use the wood for that, then I'd expect to see wooden stools and long wooden benches (cheap to make and little carving/planing required).

Are you trying for a sort of steampunk look? Your comment "She lives in a world built on top of the ruins of our beloved modern world" makes me look for elements that have some components of that modern world...not seeing it just yet in what you've posted...so I'm expecting to see more updates soon.

t

Thanks
    complete2: We had a few life drawing classes, but unfortunately they are now over. The 5 days a week class schedule is very inconvenient for sneaking into the life-drawing class of the newer people too... guess that'll have to happen in the near future when I get out of school. Thanks for the book recommendation! It looks very interesting and I'll definitely pick it up.

veronica_abraham
    : Thanks for being kind. Well, the end goal is a batch of concept arts that are finished and polished. The schedule is quite tight so I hope I can get it done.

tatiana: Thanks much for commenting The character and story started in fogs and swarm past some limbo... now I think I have a better idea about this. I was going for high-fantasy when I started out, but I guess by now it is getting more steam punk, on the less flashy side. I also need to look more into what modern world has to offer. This is actually the fun part.

=========================

Update: Character semi-final sketch.

Thanks
    Man, the character has come a long way since first conception, and really fast I might add. I'd work more on the facial features, but as far as the armor and things go, she is very very well rendered. Can't wait to see some color slapped onto that one with some textures and stuff.

As far as the environments go, make sure you flesh them out as equally as the character, but that will come in time. Can't wait to see some sketches taken from those thumbnails for them.

Ugh, I need to follow suit and do some exercises very similiar to this one... Heh, either way, keep going on this project, it's very interesting to see!
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    I really enjoyed looking at these. Not much to critique from my viewpoint, except this - your thumbnails are more engaging than your polished renderings. They have a lively physicality to them that I don't feel from your finished drawings - I think it's at least partially the lack of variation in line weight in the finished drawings. Nice creative work on the gear and gubbins, by the way.

Thanks
    Malakai: Thanks so much for the kind words! I'll actually put more emphasis on environments because they are... well, cluttered. I can still feel my head smoking from just doing rough sketches in the past 2 days.

JunkyardNinja: I completely agree with you. It'll be a while before I find the balance between my sloppy sketches and the overly up-tight but more polished finishing lines. I'm hoping I'll losen up more as my skill and confidence increases, some day.

=====

Update: Sketches! Sketches of the environments: interior/exterior; sketches of the vehicle (mech/mount), and sketches of the more finlaized weapons and items the character shall carry. I tried to use a new grid mimicking fish eye view for the exterior enviros, and I may switch back on the verticle one because it's weird.

Coming soon: character sheets, weapon sheets, all the production model sheets, aka brain twisters. Again, it's never too late for me to fix problems, so if you see anything you like or dislike please do point out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Hmm comments...lets see...

First off, it's quite a cool exercise that you get to do not only one aspect but actually the whole range of concepts from characters to creature to id stuff en environments I think you are able to connect the different aspects pretty well, although most of the weapons and items look a bit too far fetched in some cases. It might still be worth considering if they need to be overly complicated to fit with the style. I like the horn in the last image, but things liike that foldable knife/hammer (?) or that thing right of the horn seem weird (I can't really figure out what they're for).

Overall, you need to be a bit more careful with perspective. In many of the interiors and vehicles some of the elements don't follow the same perspective as the rest. Don't get sloppy on it just to get the drawing finished fast, as the end result always looks a bit wobbly (for example, the chest strapped to the bike in the last post looks out of place compared to the rest of it). I'd say drop the fisheye indeed, it doesn't make things easier 3-point perspective works well enough and isn't much more complicated than 2 point. Ah, and for the wheels and other ellipses you might want to check my mentoring thread, the assignment about ellipses. Kinda hard to explain it all here in one post.

A tip for the interiors, keep the horizon at eye-level (meaning, right now you take a low point of view, as if we are a child standing in the rooms).

Hope it helps

Thanks
    yoitisi: Thanks sooo much for kindly dropping by I do think a lot of my concepts are too complicated too. I'll have to work on the concept of "detailed" but not "complicated". I'll practice more on ellipses. Currently I have a really basic understanding of how it would work, but that's about it. Thanks a lot for pointing out eye-level problem for the interiors. I get overwhelmed by other things and forget the most basic stuff, haha It will be fixed for sure.

============

Update: Character sheet linework and vehicle sheet linework. Running out of time again, so much for staying ahead of my schedule... Please point out things that are out of place or look funky. It's never too late to fix anything thanks to computer magic Next up - colored character sheet, vehicle sheet, and weapon sheets.

Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)
    Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)Concept artist in training needs your help! (wrapping up)

Thanks

Fully-rendered character. First colored piece - woot! I guess

Please point out anything you see.

Thanks
    Holy crasola!! Great render!! Are you going to 3d model her too?

On a side note: I thought the bandana on top of her head was hair in the first shot.
    But now I can see it quite clearly.
    Lemme ask you, how do you feel about the character?
    Self-critique is a good way to see what you don't like about it.
    Me personally, I think it looks great!
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Sup NB.

Your production speed blows my freaking mind. Now that I am taking a break from school, I hope I can refine my process to the point where I am *half* that fast.

As for the concept,

1) all the little doohickeys are great. However, they don't quite fit (for me) in the color render - so shiny. Aluminum? Her costume looks like rough leather, or canvas? How are the metal bits attached? If I could see some kind of stitches, or pockets they are sliding into, alligator clips, something... I'd believe it a lot more. This might be an issue of being caught in a transition of genres. Some of the costume looks more fantasy, some more steampunk. I think if the metal bits were more dulled, corroded, etc, it might also "go with" the leather a little better.

2) Boob armor. The way she wears it on top of her shirt and vest seems unnatural to me. Also, I'm not sure if the vest is part of the boob armor or just worn underneath. The way the bottom half of the vest hangs out around 300 degrees of her torso makes it seem like a separate piece.

3) Electric socket. Great idea, shaky implementation. I feel like there isn't enough depth between the socket and her leg to actually plug anything in. I also question if that is a natural placement - she has to half bend over to plug anything in, and then the plug is in the way if she tries to walk. Also, that looks like the electric socket I have in my wall at home! =p Definitely change the shape of the socket! Other than that, I would say make it clunkier, deeper, so I feel like something could plug in there. Maybe move it into her boot, onto her belt (or boob armor!). AND maybe even have something plugged in there so she can have some cool wires to break up the silhouette and snake around the form a bit. It's an awesome idea, make it more central to the character. I totally missed it at first glance. (also, how does she generate power? Is she wearing a battery somewhere? Maybe you could strap a car battery to her

3a) Where's her lamp!!??

Wow, I really thought about this way too much. Just my opinions - hope you found something I said helpful! Good luck with DFS!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast