take me down a peg!!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: take me down a peg!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

take me down a peg!!!

this is the best piece I've done so far, but i can see that it needs improvement... Can anyone give me some suggestions about the lighting,and generally "un-flattening" it? or any other problem areas i might be blind to....
    thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrobot View Post
    When will the users of this message board start a movement to show solidarity for Wacom Tablets And Pens?? Wacom users of the world!! Rattle your styli in a show of inkless and paperless force!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's people better qualified than me to talk to you about reflected light and all that jazz, but bluntly, it doesn't look like moonlight. Everything should be lit by a greyish blue light, I think. Just think about the colour of the light source, think about the material's colour, and think about whether or not the materials close enough around it are darker or lighter than it. If they're lighter, then they should reflect light onto the objects around them.

Cool sky though, and I like the blood on the ground.

My SketchbookScribbles

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Janto For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is it supposed to be sideways?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In moonlight most of the native color is lost. So your super bright colors seem really fake. You need to drop the intensity down and rock some MAJOR shadows. Use that lightsource. And color using mostly the secondary light with a super unsaturated version of your primary color. If none of that made sense go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105

That should break everything down like school.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ConCrete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the sort of stuff I meant... but was too lazy to find. Cheers ConCrete!

My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from some real contrast in the image it's not bad. To me it looks like the battle/assassination and the buildings are in the daylight while the sky is night.

Below I've taken your image and tweeked it a little. I adjusted the color towards the gray/blue tones. The colors are still recognizable to what they represent but are very different. In the left side of the image you can see a set of 8 colors. On the right are your original colors and on the left are the adjusted colors. That subtle influence can really change the mood of the entire image.

Now what I did is a little extreme and quick but I hope it still gives you an idea I hope. Something else you can do is just stand outside for a little while at night. The best would be to do it out in the country side away from a town or city. Street lights and porch lights can really affect the way light hits things. It also affects how many stars in the sky you can actually see. Adding a few slight spots of light to the sky can really bring out that night time feeling. You don't want to make them WHITE. You want to make them about 40-60 percent lighter than the sky itself.

Last but not least adding a haze to the lighter colors in the image can help give you a moon's shine. A person's vision isn't very good at night so any light areas will show up a little fuzzy. That should reflect in night time artwork.

I don't know much when it comes to art but I hope that helps,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cupidsart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as for the crits, thanks guy. what your saying about the color is very true. actually i am used to working in nothing but pencil so the biggest thing im gonna have to learn is working in color.

cupid:what you said about everything being in the day is right because actually the sky was the last element i added and it was an afterthought to make it night

elwell : yes, the initial idea was that you would first notice the woman at a normal perspective(jumping or kicking) and the the man in the background and the when you get to the buildings you see that the wall to the right is actually the ground and that the man in back is not actually drawing his sword but falling down.
    i guess it didnt work like that huh... oh well

Sketchbook? Yes.
    When will the users of this message board start a movement to show solidarity for Wacom Tablets And Pens?? Wacom users of the world!! Rattle your styli in a show of inkless and paperless force!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Silent Stander,

Very nice piece. I like the unusual action poses.

As far as unflattening the image, I think the figures need to be more modeled with darker shadows, and reflected light. Since the moon is in the background and it is the main light source, the side of the figures facing us should be much darker, I think and then accented with the reflected light coming around.

Here's a Frazetta painting with moonlight:

Madeline Carol Matz
    www.mcmatz.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcmatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the only thing i can say is that for me the fact that its sideways really throws me off i know your trying to do something dynamic but it just seems like youve posted it on a 90 degree angle, im sure theres a better way to do it dynamically just fiddle with it. try making the characters less flat with some more defenition, it all seems to bright to me.

good luck with it anyway

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmatz View Post
    Here's a Frazetta painting with moonlight:
    Are you sure that's a Frazetta?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so here is my adjustment to the image... the first variation i did i thought was too strong so i then did this one ...it might not be enough of a change though .. tell me what you think people!
    s(sorry this is huge!)

Sketchbook? Yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her extended leg is a bit long and much thicker than it should be. You could also make that pose much more dynamic by swinging that sword back just a bit, it looks a tad static. The lighting is MUCH better than the first posted image by the way.

About the whole sideways thing- I turned the image upright, and I'm still confused. What exactly is she doing? Landing from a jump? Any significance to the blood being where it is (in the U shape)? Did she just cut his throat/head? If so, need to make the marks on his neck a bit more obvious, I completely missed them before.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I turned the picture sideways too, and it she looks off balance like that. If she were to land she'd tip over onto her head...

and since I was bored I put my suggestion into photoshop form

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Santon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im really glad that im getting alot of feedback on this image as opposed to the last one i did. i guess this means im gonna have to "finish" my pics and put them in the critique center rather than complete them in the wip forum...too bad cause it could save me time on mistakes
    as for the new comments:
    chagan- thanks about the light, i tried. and now that you mention it your right it looks like she has 3 ankles on that one leg. your right that she is meant to be landing from a jump and cutting the throat, which leads to...
    Santon- thanks for doing the repaint.its actually similar to the oringinal sketch i did for this one. she does look off balance in mine. that was intentional but, it looks like i need to show it better.. i have some ideas although i probably wont change the position of her arms...

Sketchbook? Yes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it might have been mentioned before...but the pose just doesn't seem to be working (even in saton's) from the blood i'm gessing she wounded the samourai but I have a lot of trouble on figuring out what the motion is

edit: I doodled arround a bit:

I think if the samurai was closer, it'd look more natural because he'd be within blade's reach, I blured him out to but focus on the ninja girl, and turned her arround to maybe a less akward pose? But that still needs some more work. The idea would have been for you to find a ref of a similar pose I gess.

Last edited by freiheit; March 16th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.