Help me push this forward
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help me push this forward

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help me push this forward

Been so busy with school work and other duties that I haven't had the time to do any artwork, been driving me nuts. Anyways finally was able to put some time aside to get some done. This is an illustration from what I pictured in H.P. Lovecraft's short story "Dagon". This is still a work in progress (about 75% there I think) and my first real attempt at doing applied textures instead of paint strokes but I am starting to wonder if there was anything I missed or could do more to really push this to another level.

Some things I am concerned with:
    Making the muck look like real mud but from a distance.
    I am OK with the clouds but think they could be better.
    Wondering if I should add rain or not.
    Open to suggestions.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for starters, the guy running almoust made me laugh, he looks reeeally stupid, like someone making fun of girls.
    anyway, the monster is kinda cool though.

adding rain wont make any difference, so i dont think it matters, you should work on the sky more though, clouds dont look like that, they aslo dont fill the entire sky like that.
    http://www.davidkaspar.com/pics/beachbub.jpg
    even at that pic u can see some of the actual sky at the bottom, i also think the perspective of the stones in the BG are too big, they should kinda fade into the horison, right now thers one standing at the edge of the horison, which is a littel wierd =P.

anyway, the pic has potential, just lack the sence of reallity here and there, the monster is really cool though, kinda reminds me of the Cloverfield moster somehow

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have lack of constant light source. The sky and the earth have the same value. Everything is pressed by the edges of the picture. There are also too much action in the creature

Only thing that i like is the man running

bye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lotet-Thanks for the imput. For the guy ya I wanted him to be kind of hysterical running. I am going to re attempt to re do the clouds and fix the standing stones which was something I didn't notice that I did. As for the rain thing I was only think of that for mood.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you wanted to do rain, I'd just suggest it, not show streaks or anything, with a cloudburst in the background - solve both your clouds problem and give the mood. What I would do for mood is use fog to obscure the horizon and the bulk of the beast.

The big issue for me is the muck. At the moment, it's got no definable consistency - and that means there's no way of telling if it's brown rock, brown sand, brown mud - you need to work the figures INTO the muck to make it convincing, and smear it all over them. So say it's either wet sand or mud. Those are very different in how they behave, but the important thing is that they're highly impressionable, and their immediate history dictates their form. In most cases there should be visible channels draining water into pools, as well as ripple patterns on various scales from water action. Another thing is that muck is often as good as reflecting as water when it's very wet, so while we shouldn't see shadows, which in a misty/cloudy day we wouldn't, we should see reflections in the smooth areas of muck.

[edit]on review, the toppling stone is the No. 1 thing you should concentrate on fixing in terms of displaying the shifting muck.

My SketchbookScribbles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Janto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Janto View Post
    If you wanted to do rain, I'd just suggest it, not show streaks or anything, with a cloudburst in the background - solve both your clouds problem and give the mood. What I would do for mood is use fog to obscure the horizon and the bulk of the beast.

The big issue for me is the muck. At the moment, it's got no definable consistency - and that means there's no way of telling if it's brown rock, brown sand, brown mud - you need to work the figures INTO the muck to make it convincing, and smear it all over them. So say it's either wet sand or mud. Those are very different in how they behave, but the important thing is that they're highly impressionable, and their immediate history dictates their form. In most cases there should be visible channels draining water into pools, as well as ripple patterns on various scales from water action. Another thing is that muck is often as good as reflecting as water when it's very wet, so while we shouldn't see shadows, which in a misty/cloudy day we wouldn't, we should see reflections in the smooth areas of muck.

[edit]on review, the toppling stone is the No. 1 thing you should concentrate on fixing in terms of displaying the shifting muck.
    Janto thanks for the suggestions and a top notch critique, I really enjoy it when people offer solutions to problems instead of just point problems out as it is much more useful and that is how I too try to critique.

I actually never thought of pools of water and that is a good detail to do. I really wanted something mucky and I did want some reflections happening. Perhaps if I used some pics of marshes and bogs would help. To be honest environments isn't something I have worked on seriously yet.

The idea about the rain is a good one and was along my lines of thinking. When you meant cloud burst would that be close to like a shaft of light but more mist like?

I also thought about fog as well and it will be kind of a hard choice between choosing.

I know what you mean about the stone, this just wasn't something I had worked on yet as this is still a work in progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's sort of a sample... http://www.weatherquestions.com/precipitation.jpg

(actually, I used the term incorrectly... it's really more of an extreme weather type than what we'd call a cloudburst in Ireland, which is just the tattered steamers visible below a distant raincloud.)

My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool that clears that up and that is kind of what I thought you meant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i would say rework the running sailor and work on sky.. add more detail to mud in the foreground and it will be enough to suggest mud everywhere else... monster's tail kinda looks too flat (unless you intend it to be flat)

rain might actually make it better, try the rain and post it up..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well while I had wanted to get this done a lot earlier a lot of things kept coming up. Anyways it is spring break for me now and even though that all my teachers decided to grace me with projects to do during that time I should have more time for my art. Anyways I just wanted to show the progress that I have made so far and I am still looking for more feed back before I move on. I re did my sky and the mud with some reflections but I haven't put the cast shadows back in but they will be put in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well didn't get any replies on the last up date and had been up more than a day so here is an update. I am not going to do anymore to it because I have to move on and not to mention that my original file got corrupted from a bad save and had to work from a JPEG but I am glad to hear any critique, comments or suggestions so that I can keep them in mind for the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think its time for u to start a new illistration. more work on this wont make it better.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.