Art: vehicles + process
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vehicles + process

Hey loved ones!

It sucks how seldom I take the time to visit this wonderful place. I'm always blown away by all the goodnes! I just love coming back and seeing that people have grown into better artists. I hope the same goes for me. I've been pushing myself to say the least. Here is some of my recent stuff.

One thing worth mentioning is that I basically blatantly ripped of the skyline from the ghost in the shell anime in the city piece. Ive been trying to learn how to paint skyscrapers in a quick and efficient way, and this was a test in doing so. It came out quite well, and its no EXACT plagiarism so I'm satisfied!

The ship and the city pic are just my usual way of balancing out all the bent and fluffy stuff I do at work. Balance is key!
    The other piece - the one with the chef - is from my own personal project, an adventure game im doing on my spare time with a neat little tool called AGS. I recommend it warmly to anyone who is a fan of the old classic adventure games, and wants to make one for themselves.

oh I painted over a photo of a real chef for the kitchen piece if anyone cares. I got lazy. might as well mention this.

-theo

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Theo; March 13th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love how you use highlights and shadows, especially in the first pic Great works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really really love your work. The middle one is my favorite.

Something about how you use such flat shapes really appeals to me. Its a wonderful simplification that leaves nothing out at the same time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Theo, great work as always :] nice to see something new from ya
    Two suggestions from me - that construction machine is begging for a small light under it, and the vtol craft seems to be missing it`s other bulky part of it`s wing.
    How do you start these ? with a lineart underneath or some other way im` just curious ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, not much beats an old school adventure game. I like the design on the vtol too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the best Environmental illustration work I've seen. Good Job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya, I really like your mech like designs, they got a good flow in their forms.
    Good use of perspective in the first one, I also like the strong colors in your works, they emphasize your style in a good way.
    One thing I think you can do better is highlights, you seem to use those edge highlights quite a lot, maybe try out doing more highlighted surfaces perhaps?
    maybe even try to introduce some texture also, I don't know if it fits your style but at least it's worth a try.
    just some thoughts, and I hope that you join us again next time we do a artist-meet here in Gothenburg.
    cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dracanta, sublimus, Gl0gg and Abronxl: thanks fellas! Im glad you enjoy lookin at my stuff! Drop by my website for more!

Mattinian: Solid crits! adding a light under the mech was something I had already tried and discarded, since it made the composition less comfortable too look at, however, after reading your post I gave it another shot and toned it down, it came out pretty good I say Thanks for the input man.

Stahr: Thanks for the kind words man, and good call on the lack of textures... Im always shy on that front. Should put more time into working on my surfaces! Offcourse I'll join in on another gbg meet!

Herres a quick mini rundown of how I often work! (Usually there are tons of thumbnails drawn before I even get to this stage though)
    I hope someone out there finds it interesting

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dracanta View Post
    I really love how you use highlights and shadows, especially in the first pic Great works!
    I completely agree. I love this first one. Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bloody brilliant! I -love- the second one! Very atmospheric.

~Tess

My creature sketchbook, Encyclopedia Animalia

My portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love how minimalistic your images are. They're simple and comprehensible, and I really like how you don't throw in every color under the sun into a single image.

With that said, the only thing I think your pictures could use is more powerful lighting. The second picture of the ship has perfect lighting, with the way it bleeds and reflects. The first picture has great lighting near the ovens, but the lanterns seem to not be letting out any light. There should be a little bleeding with them. And with the third picture, I would experiment with making the lights in the backround bleed a litle more. That would help them match up with that foggy yellow light coming from the background.

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crazy composition and layout skills. Those vehicles are on target as well. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice painting, man ~
    anyway, i think there is not many stories in your pics. maybe you could pay attention to it.
    keep updating~

-
    Welcome To My Art Garden
    -
    Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots.
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all! I'll take your comments to me heart and make sure to think of them on future projects

Putting more story into my pics is something I definately need to work more on. I'm not sure how , but i'll find a way.

hugs all.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.