POLL: Teen Challenge #42: space corsair

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Teen Challenge #42: space corsair

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zaelzar

1 3.13%
  • Scotteh

1 3.13%
  • BettyHime

0 0%
  • SlimmerCat

3 9.38%
  • tobbA

0 0%
  • muffin_wrangler

0 0%
  • Diphallia

1 3.13%
  • Kek

10 31.25%
  • Shmaba

4 12.50%
  • darline

1 3.13%
  • Lotet

11 34.38%
    Thanks

POLL: Teen Challenge #42: space corsair

ArtFish:
    Only a sketch so it doesn't go to poll, sorry.

Zaelzar
    Border plz next time

Scotteh
    Also very sketchy and no border but you can clearly see what it shows so:

xabian
    There is only the vehicle of the Pirat ond no Pirat. So sorry but it doesn't go to poll

BettyHime
    Nice work:

SlimmerCat
    Nice work:

tobbA
    Add a Border plz next time

muffin_wrangler
    nice painting and ideas

Diphallia
    Border plz and you could have cleaned up the painting a bit.

Kek
    Beatiful piece

Shmaba
    Nice picture. Border plz next time.

darline
    nice finished work

Lotet
    Nice finished work:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Will fix border for the next challenge.
    Sorry.

And yeah, it's messy, didn't have time to finish it.

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    wow, this is getting big, thers alot of entries this time.

Thanks
    So here are my crits to your pictures. It should be constructive critique!!!

Zaelzar : The anatomy of the figure looks good. maybe you should add some colour and a backround next time.
    Scotteh : You should add some colour or some shadows with the pencil. But I think you said there was no time. You should watch out for your anatomy. The legs are way too long (especially the food. It is biger than the whole upper part of the body of your pirate)
    BettyHime : I don't know wich media you used. Maybe you sould try to paint some clear lines next time.
    SlimmerCat :Nice lines and colours (which media is it?). I like this cartoon style. You were one of my voting candidates.
    tobbA : You should study some more anatomy I think (I should too and I study it very infrequently )
    muffin_wrangler : Your style is completely different from mine. But I like it. You were one of my voting candidates too.
    Diphallia : As I allready said it doesn't look finished. You should have cleaned up the painting (If you would have had time to do so).
    Kek : On the first look your image just looks amazing. Very good anatomy (much better than mine). But i think the ground and the reflecion in the window doesn't look as clear as the figure in the foreground. Maybe you had no time or you had no zest left to finish it, I don't know. But all in all the picture looks very good. Of course you were one of my voting candidates.
    Shmaba : You finally got my vote. I really like your style ans the way you used light and shadow.
    darline : Nice cartoon style. I just don't know what to say more
    Lotet : Nice one too. Your painting was one of my favorites. Especially the idea to take a white border works great with you painting.

TLL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Yes... I'm practising anatomy. Wanna get much better at it... The pic looked better before colouring though

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    @ Kek

I really loved this image and I think you captured the idea of a Futuristic Space Pirate/Corsair very well. Aside from the image being a little empty I thought it was truely remarkable,

PS, loved the Parrot Hologram, a nice little touch!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL View Post
    So here are my crits to your pictures. It should be constructive critique!!!

BettyHime : I don't know wich media you used. Maybe you sould try to paint some clear lines next time.

TLL
    I used a paint called gouache, if you don't know what that is is halfway between watercolours and acrylic. I had orignally planned to go over it in ink, but I didn't want to ruin it. Perhaps next time I'll be bolder :p

~Betty Hime

~ Blog ~

Thanks
    TLL: Thanks a bunch for the compliment; I used copic markers and copic fineliners on smooth bristol. I was really honored there for a while to find that I was tied with Kek and Shmaba, and one vote behind Lotet. (I was kinda kicking myself, though; I voted for Lotet, and that's why I was one vote behind. D: Oops!)
    And, TLL, the reason a lot of them are not as great is because several people specifically stated in their posts that the images weren't finished. Zaelzar said that his image only contained thumbnails;
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmaba
    i won't get this thing done in time so might as well show it off as it is. Next time though, you're all going down.
    Shmaba doesn't sound like he intended to use this image for the contest at all due to running out of time. I don't think people without the borders disobeyed the rules; I think the reason several didn't include borders was because they were unfinished. I could be wrong, though.

Kek: Your image is fantastic, and while it is definitely far greater than any of ours in technical skill and realism, in my opinion... she doesn't look anything like a space pirate. A futuristic girl? Yes. A very well-painted futuristic girl? Absolutely. You got the space, but not the pirate; she seems more like a military-type than someone who robs and murders. Also, I must agree with TLL; the reflection looks rather rushed, and doesn't have the quality of the rest of the image. Other than that, absolutely spot-on work. (Also: Your signature makes me smile! Right on!)

tobbA: Question: Why is the girl wearing a bikini? Why is the boy wearing only trunks? What is that in the girl's hand? I hate to sound harsh, and I don't mean to, but how does this fit the "space-pirate" theme? It looks like you took a couple of sunbathers and just slapped on some pirate bandanas and ray-guns. Can you imagine someone running around planets fighting aliens and robbing people... in a bikini? Really? Also, a tip for painting: try to avoid using pure black and white to shade skin-- or anything, for that matter-- because it makes it seem plastic. Don't be afraid to use red, or even colors like blue and green, but in moderation. Keep working on the anatomy; you've got a good start, but it needs lots of refinement, and you seem to at least understand how light sources work to an extent, which is a lot more than you can say for a lot of artists! Keep on trucking!

Muffin_Wrangler: This image seems like it was made for a cute kids' show, which-- if nothing else-- gives it a bit of originality among the more serious-looking pirates that people like Kek and Lotet created.
    However, this being an art site and a design contest, all the description you made for each character was wasted effort. Try more in the design department next time and less on the description; work on shading, and lots on anatomy.
    The composition also seems a little crammed, and it's hard to tell where the little floating guy really is-- or anyone, for that matter-- in relation to the other characters. Perhaps try making the lines thicker on objects closer to the camera, and thinner on objects further away.
    Also: none of the colors clash, which can be difficult when working with such a varied color palette. The character furthest to the front, the cyborg-person-- his outfit seems a little thrown together. Keep on working, and you'll go far.

darline: This, like several others, really doesn't seem to fit the Space-Pirate bill. Again: Bikini? Seriously? I don't know about you, but if I were fighting epic space battles, I certainly wouldn't want to be walking around in my skivvies. The girl on the far right is the only one I can look at and say "Yeah, she definitely looks like a space pirate!"
    Work a bit more on anatomy, you've got a good start.
    However: Although I'm sure the lack of color is due to how rushed you said it was, the red-and-blue contrast is a good compromise. On the girl in the far back-- the one with the iguana-shark (?) on her shoulder-- I like the way you simplified her left foot, leaving out lines in the shoe to show it was farther away and less important. A nice touch.

Phew. Tl;dr, anyone? I didn't comment on people whose entries I didn't think were finished, and I'll write more later, but I have to run. Ta, all!

Thanks
    Originally Posted by SlimmerCat
    Shmaba doesn't sound like he intended to use this image for the contest at all due to running out of time. I don't think people without the borders disobeyed the rules; I think the reason several didn't include borders was because they were unfinished. I could be wrong, though.
    Sometimes the pieces aren't finished and sometimes the artist just forget to add a border. For example Shmaba's and tobbA's pieces looked quite finished I think.
    So I will remind the ones who forget the border every round.

Thanks
    Teen Challenge brings back old memories. *sniff*
    Good work guys. Hope you all keep it up!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL View Post
    Sometimes the pieces aren't finished and sometimes the artist just forget to add a border. For example Shmaba's and tobbA's pieces looked quite finished I think.
    So I will remind the ones who forget the border every round.
    Again, I'm not talking about who looks finished, I'm talking about what the artists said in their posts. That is what really matters here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.