Sketchbook: Murphy's Sketch Book. (nudity)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Murphy's Sketch Book. (nudity)

Hey, So I'm out of art school now, and I've got a real job, which means i need to practice now more than ever... And damn I'm rusty.

I haven't picked up my Wacom in about 6 months, and I haven't done life drawing in about 4 (which probably explains why the proportions on these pics i've done over the last couple of days are so... ordinary)

I really want to improve, so please be as brutal as possible (in a helpful way of course. Don't just tell me I'm shit. Tell me how to be less shit!)

These are all done form ref pictures (shame on me). Originals in no particular order:
    http://raekwonda.deviantart.com/art/pure-79539659
    http://littlejean.deviantart.com/art...onate-78731593
    http://joschwab.deviantart.com/art/Dwina-58171983
    http://mweiler.deviantart.com/art/be...ckles-78281874

Its probably worth mentioning that with the amount of time and cans of coke that went into these, they can hardly be called speed paintings...

Thanks guys. Look forward to the many crits and comments.
    Murphy

Last edited by gma-murphy; September 13th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    murphy,

this's nice work! i just started with a wacom so this's good work to pull from.
    my only crit'd be on the last one, the breasts look a bit mis matched, the right looks smaller than the left, and i realise the arms pulling it up, but it just looks like it has less mass than the one on (our) left. i tried to doublecheck with the link up top, but it just sent me to a join deviantart page. but altogether some very solid studies.

RM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16/03/08 update

More photoshop paintings. The refs for these ones are just photos of friends and stuff. (except for the last one which is obviously psycho boy jack.)

I'm pretty happy with the way the background turned out on the picture of my friend Danielle. I'm thinking I should doing a couple atmospheric city paintings this week.

Most of these were done using colour from the beginning (ala impressionism. I tend to find you get better light and colour this way. That being said i'm not an expert so i probably just don't know how to colour black and white images correctly) The last one of psycho boy jack was was done by blocking in tone and refining and then colouring. Kinda based on one of Idiot Apathy's tutorial/processes.

Murphy.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20/3/08 Update

Been brushing up on my rusty drawing skills. As i said its been about 4 months since i've done actual life drawing So i'm more than a little shabby.

The faces and hands are pretty well all ref'ed from random deviantart photos. The full body anatomy studies are from posemaniacs.com. I didn't realise until i got to the full body anatomy studies that i was using the wrong brush which is why the first two collections of studies have really soft line work.

I was having allot of trouble with the real high perspective shots. I think the appendages where confusing me, so i got around it by drawing the torso with the arms and legs cut off ala ancient Greek sculpture, then added them later (the animated gif at the bottom is an example of the process).
    I get the feeling that that you guys are probably going to tell me its a nasty habit to get into. I know from painting in art school, if you don't constantly consider the overall picture, then the proportions and constancy's of detail, colour, tone, etc go out the window very quickly.
    If you know of a better way to approach the problem, let me know. Or let me know if its not really that bad of a habit, but i'm just using the technique at the wrong stage in the drawing or something.

Murphy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

24/3/08 Update

Small update. Did this on the weekend. Don't think it came out quite the way i wanted, but oh well. Practice makes perfect. The main thing i notice thats wrong with it is the rendering on the windmill thingy makes it look completely out of place with the rest of the image.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention, no ref used.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.