Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Heya Jamesy, thanks for the crits I really appreciate it.

You're right about the lifelessness of the pictures, I didn't notice it before - thanks for drilling it into my head

I tried to replicate one of the other paintings I did before, as I felt a bit lost. Here's a version with more "life" in it - some birds, and some vehicles.

Looking forward to your crits again, James

Name:  persp6.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  117.9 KB

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Another environment:

Name:  persp7.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  125.0 KB

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

Thanks
    Here's an apple

Name:  apple1.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  50.8 KB

Thanks
    With 3-point perspective you want to keep in mind that the viewpoint is either from a worm's perspective (looking up) or a bird's perspective (looking down). In the last environment the view is pretty straight on so the perspective should be 2-point.

The apple has gotten better as it looks like you spent more time on it. The rendering looks really nice in the apple, but I think the shadow seems a bit rough and is actually confusing me. I'm not sure if the apple is on one plane or if there's actually two perpendicular planes. It kinda looks like the apple is leaning against a wall, but I dunno. You want to make your content as clear as possible so it's easy to read. Another way to fix the roughness of the shadow is to use a bigger brush. The little black strokes at the bottom of the apple are kinda distracting because it doesn't flow with the apple. Anyway, I'll be back when you have more. Keep at it!!

Thanks
    Try that apple again and clean up those angles on the edges, get it good and smooth. I agree with Jamesy on the shadow--you have it both underneath and against the 'wall' so I did a double take when I first looked at it. I've been learning a little about perspective and the law applies to shadows too. Also keep the shadow rather sharp near the apple, less opaque as it spreads outward.

Thanks
    Heya again, my SSG, I'm not dead just yet But I have been active, just not so in the updating my sketchbook thread department.

Here's a dump of some stuff, 2 night environment, 1 cloud study, 7 snow landscape studies that I've tried to follow with Whit Brachna's demo (You can see the improvements from number 1 to 7 (They're in sequential order)), and some landscape and spaceship sketches done in the new Corel Sketcher (Initially inspired by some of Feng Zhu's works with the digital downloads I paid for, and then from Eve Online's spaceship gallery).

Name:  environ1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  environ2.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  clouds1.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  snow1.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  216.5 KB

Name:  snow2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  217.8 KB

Name:  snow3.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  196.1 KB

Name:  snow4.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  snow5.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  197.2 KB

Name:  snow6.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  190.0 KB

Name:  snow7.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 2.jpeg
Views: 459
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 3.jpeg
Views: 458
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 4.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  200.9 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 5.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 6.jpeg
Views: 429
Size:  224.9 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 7.jpeg
Views: 451
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 8.jpeg
Views: 446
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 9.jpeg
Views: 448
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 10.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  145.1 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 11.jpeg
Views: 436
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 12.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 13.jpeg
Views: 441
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  Sketch Pad Page 14.jpeg
Views: 429
Size:  119.1 KB

Thanks
    those videos are sure doing some good i would say to work and be more careful with the edges, the snow doesn't look its falling in to the rocks. use photo refs or if you have the chance look at it in life. I really like the space ship sketch, great design try to polish it more.
    Yeah i got accepted in the atelier but cant go, no money, no financial support. Cest la vie. =\ ^^ anyway!
    Keep drawing matte!

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Those are some pretty sweet ship designs! I just checked the Feng-Shu dvd out from the library like 20 minutes ago, so hopefully I'll learn something too! I agree with Callops about the snow, just reference a bunch of stuff and you'll get there!

Thanks
    nice vehicle design, they are pretty cool for being done quickly, it would be cool to see some more finished stuff from you
    thanks for sharing man

Thanks
    Call0ps - Damn, that's a shame man, I would give an arm and a leg to be able to attend the CA atelier. Hope you'll be able to muster enough money to go, you deserve it.

Jamesy - Yeah, I love Feng's stuff. Unfortunately, there's nowhere in Hong Kong that carries the Workshop library of DVDs, so I have to buy them online via paypal. Which ones did you withdraw out?

jedininjaman - Thanks man - I did some more drawings, and thanks to you, decided to take the next step and colour/finish them. The drawings are inspired a lot from Eve Online's spaceships (Viewed here: http://www.eveonlineships.com/), but I have now built up enough visual vocabulary that I can draw spaceships on my own now.

Anyway, here they are, in sequential order of colouring (But the exact opposite in sequence when drawn):

Name:  ship1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  ship2.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  ship3.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  ship4.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  ship5.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  106.0 KB

Thanks
    Heya again,

Here are two Android Jones style inspired paintings I did. Both done in painter.

Name:  android1.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  458.8 KB

Name:  android2.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  360.8 KB

Thanks
    Nice exercisers! Pencil and digital looks better and better.. Keep pushing.

Thanks
    Nice to be joining your SSG! (Maridius roped me in ) WOW, you've made MAJOR improvement since your first page. Your digitals are coming along as well, but don't forget to continue drawing with pencils! I have that problem, i still can't draw as good. Don't stop ya hear?

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 37