Chow 110 :: Historical Gender Bender - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Chow 110 :: Historical Gender Bender

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo! PuppyKitten - GOOD CHOICE! I want to see what you make of that one!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Actualy in Belgium . Officialy in south of France
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

This is my first message on this forum .

Can I propose on this topic a Napoleon's Marshall ?

Named Joachim Murat . 1767-1815

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I has a sketch.

This particular was done without references handy. After I had made a whole bunch of other sketches with references. This was more to figure out what I'm going to do.

So...yeah, Beethoven.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My thumb for Baroness Manfreda von Richthofen

SKETCHBOOK!
    IF THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN SKETCHES OR PAINTINGS - REPRIMAND ME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!what a interesting idea! Cant waiiiitt to see what you guys come up with!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay... I've been slacking with the crits lately, so here goes.

Lucky Munky: Since I haven't seen your ref yet, I have to say so far that I'm seeing more "female gladiator" than Spartacus in particular (but I'm not well versed in him, so.) Careful with the ribcage, there, that and the waist look a little distorted, right now.

Wiggers: You seem to have plenty of ideas, but I'll hold off on the crits until you settle on one.

algenpfleger: Lookin' good so far! Keep it up. Her arm seems to disappear into nothing on the right... I'd give at least a hint of her finger tips or the base of her palm.

JessiBean: Haha, I am so amused by this one. My only crit would be that the sleeve right now makes it look like he has to pop his arm out of his shoulder socket. I know it's just the fashion, but maybe tuck in his elbow a little bit to soften that impression?

lewisaurus: I sure hope you drew that car specifically for this chow.

serhc: Not much to say yet, keep it up!

Felicia: Haha, how cute. Very stylized, so not much i can say about the anatomy. I'm hoping that you'll be upping the contrast a bit, when you colour?

NARobles: Haha, looks great. Watch her chin though - she's already pretty masculine looking, and the way you have it right now she looks like she has a five o'clock shadow.

Mike Corriero: Fiiiiiniiish. I demand it!

Lalilulelo: Interesting, so far, though not really reading 'feminine' yet. (Could still pass as a feminine-looking man, is what i'm saying). She doesn't seem to have breasts of any sort, maybe give just a hint of a chest line? (You don't need to give her huge guns, but she doesn't have much of a figure at all, yet, either in the chest or the hips.)

Chate Noire: Haha, I love it. Keep it up.

Daray: Watch her arm there, it looks twisted. (To see what i mean, try to draw the bone from her elbow to her wrist, and you'll see it *has* to curve to match up with what's there - it should be able to lay straight.) Also, the helmet looks a little off center and squished.

Sorknes: Haha, too cute. Watch proportions though - right now they're pretty cartoony (though I'm not sure if that's on purpose or not?). Laurel's head is way too big compared to his/her shoulders, and the neck is too wide.

Catatafish: I think what's throwing you off (with the legs) is that her skirt/kilt/thing is so long that it would probably brush past her knees anyway. I think her limbs are a little thin in general, anyway.

Jack Frost: Not much to say on the WIP so far - I *was* going to tell you that a bunch of your other wips didn't qualify, but I see that you've already fixed that, so. As for your reference, that should be fine, just make sure to post whatever you found (even if it's not accurate, i'd like to see that you looked for it.)

r-idz: So far the only thing linking this to napoleon is the hat. I'm all for hot women, but you might want to put a bit more meat on her bones...

madhatter106: Haha, I love it. I'm not sure that it says 'Marquis de Sade' yet, but I can't really think of what would...

ArtFish: I definately think that it would be worth your while to find some reference of heavy-set women and get your proportions right. From what I can see, the arms are a definite problem area right now - not uniform in length and the pivot of the shoulder seems to be starting at the end of her sleeves, rather than where her shoulder actually is. Also, her left (our right) arm looks twisted. Take some pics of your hands the way that you have hers and draw them in with a bit more detail - it's hard to see what she's doing with them, right now.

Stefanie B: Just a few notes: the back of her head looks a little too flat, and the 3d form of her body isn't very apparent yet - you might want to give her a bit more shape.

davi: Looking pretty awesome, guy. Just be careful of the width of her left arm (our right), especially near the elbow. Also, with an ass like that, i'd give a little more meat to her ribcage.

Molly: Nice, I'm liking it so far. She's definately a woman, but I certainly wouldn't call her feminine.

IceMoon: I'm glad you have her painting, it's a good setting. My crits would be: watch the arm facing us, it looks a bit like jello, right now, and the hand's a bit stiff. Also, just a question - why can i see straight up her skirts...?

Arthemis IX: Haha, i love that wig/hair. Question: is that stool period...?

uncannyvalley: Haha, oh man, this could be great. Watch the proportions on the arms, and his back - it probably wouldn't come in so tight, from that angle, unless he was *reeeeally* sucking it in.

HiloHello: Yeah, needs anatomical reference. I'll say more when I see the other ones you did with reference.

Graphuji: Not much to say yet. Nice silhouette! What is she leaning on?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've settled on Sir / Lady John A. Macdonald. Ignore the hasty lasso surgery on her arm. Here's a wip and some reference pics.
    Name:  sir john a jpg.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  197.3 KB
    Name:  sir john a macdonald copy.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  244.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gathered my references for Leona da Vinci.
    The statue is Verrocchio's David which a young da Vinci posed for.

--Madeline

Madeline Carol Matz
    www.mcmatz.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    lewisaurus: I sure hope you drew that car specifically for this chow.

Absolutely, but drawing is more like it. I still have a long way to go. (my first jeep BTW)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great topic.....I find no time to get back into CHOW......However, I await with pregnant anticipation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my first pencil sketch (traditional).
    It's rough. It's messy.
    It will get better.

--Madeline

Madeline Carol Matz
    www.mcmatz.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Daestwen :]
    ya im definitely going to be doing more research before i really get into this

Available for Commissions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I was referring to references on Beethoven and historical clothing, etc. But yeah, I definitely need anatomical references, too.

Sooo... more recent version of what I'm calling my "big sketch," and a fewere older, practice ones, in reverse order of drawn-ness. Damn, it feels weird to call them "older," when they're not actually that old...

EDIT: Oh! Daestwen! Strictly speaking, the paintings of Napoleon show him with his hand shoved between the buttons of his waistcoat. That's the vest-type thing. Thought I'd mention it, because I once read a paper on why. The answer? It was the fashion.

algenpfleger: She's not wearing her hat/cap, it's just sort of resting on top of her head. It should wrap around her skull. Might mess up the hair, though, but I doubt Crockett would care, eh?

Last edited by HiloHello; March 13th, 2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Nit-picky stuffses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first wip of my Napoléon(ce)
    I am trying to get the very classical touch of David as a base. After i miss it, i am going to inprovise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Christopher the Great

I heard a little rumbling of a lack of women in history being represented, so I decided to give this one a go.

Christopher the Great.

I'm not speculating about anything to do with the horse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HiloHello View Post
    EDIT: Oh! Daestwen! Strictly speaking, the paintings of Napoleon show him with his hand shoved between the buttons of his waistcoat. That's the vest-type thing. Thought I'd mention it, because I once read a paper on why. The answer? It was the fashion.
    There's a few different theories about why all his portraits were painted that way, but.

I would take it into consideration... If i was doing napoleon...

The figure I'm doing is Admiral Nelson, and though it appears that he tucks his hand into his jacket, it's actually just the sleeve pinned to his jacket, as he was missing that arm...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a few different theories about why all his portraits were painted that way, but.

I would take it into consideration... If i was doing napoleon...

The figure I'm doing is Admiral Nelson, and though it appears that he tucks his hand into his jacket, it's actually just the sleeve pinned to his jacket, as he was missing that arm...
    Yeah, the paper mentioned them (or at least the ones that involve him hiding his hand because it had a wart or something), then basically said, "Y'all are stupid, lots of people had their portraits painted that way!"

And...that explains a lot, actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok i used the ref more than i was before, still some tweaking but better now haha
    started testing some colors on the face, obviously i will clean up the lines/get rid of them but they are there for now ;]
    Name:  Historical Gender Bender.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  231.6 KB

Available for Commissions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    super quick wip of willa wallace , im still trying to figure out how to make more femenine and fierce at the same time , dont know if i should put a helmet on her or just let her hair be free?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Female Che

okay, my first wip for the female Che:

looked at these two pics mainly so far:

http://www.nodo50.org/ccoounedmadrid/images/che.gif -> for the hair and hat
    http://leftbooks.com/store/media/2008checalendar.jpg -> i liked his look on that one, as well as the cigar hand.

she could be ordering a Coke

comments welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's...wow. Che is ...wow.

I mean, I feel like the hips should twist more to the ...left? Clockwise? Than they are right now, but that might just be me. That's a nitpick, though, it's really good! Definitely Che.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some great looking pieces already, well done everyone!

daestwen, i'm doing Leonidas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jpedro She looks great, instantly recognizable.

I would check with a Moderator before you get to far with this as the cut off date in the brief was 1950 (unless this has changed and I missed it). Che didn't really hit the scene till the mid 50's. The ref pics you are using are probably late 50's /early 60's.

Last edited by lewisaurus; March 14th, 2008 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

work in progress of "ATILLA THE HUN"

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102221
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

AIM/AOL SCREENAME: ACRO IS ILL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to at least try to get something done for this I think. I just didn't know who to do, so I thought and thought over my lunch break.

I think I might do an Elizabeth Bathory. I need practice drawin' boys anyways.

MY SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbook Support Group!
    JTAART
    M-MIN
    KASHMIR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good. Cartoony! I like! I also like the build. Other people might have neglected it, but dammit, you need good upper body strength when wielding a giant axe! If that is an axe, it looks like an axe.

A few minor nitpicks I noticed: Her right thigh seems...off. Like, it's maybe too long, or maybe her foot has sunk into the ground. I'm not sure. The perspective on the sword looks like it might be off. Right now it kind of seems like it's bending towards me.

Also, I'm not entirely clear on how her top is staying on. But then again, I tend to over-think things like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Hilohello, thanks a lot! and i will keep in mind what you said about the hip once i get to the pose more thouroughly. thanks for poitning it out.

@ lewisaurus, also, thanks, i'm glad you think she's recognizable. i painted her with short hair first and no beret to see how close i could get, but it all looked a little too manly to me with the exact same facial features, i think adding the longer hair and the hat were two important icons and also made her more feminine.

about your point of timeframe, your right i should have made sure sure...i read a few posts back that Marylin was fine and i felt Che was kinda similar in that respect. however, thanks for pointing that out, and therefore, could one of the moderators let me know if i it's okay to continue working on that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jpedro View Post
    about your point of timeframe, your right i should have made sure sure...i read a few posts back that Marylin was fine and i felt Che was kinda similar in that respect. however, thanks for pointing that out, and therefore, could one of the moderators let me know if i it's okay to continue working on that?
    Yar, that's fine. Like I said with Marylin, 1950 was really just a way to keep people from doing contemporary figures, but Che is long dead. Thanks for checking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woot!

Everything looks amazing so far! I wanted to go from female to male, though, because I need to work on my male anatomy and whatnot. Had some great ideas for the other way, tho. I'd LOVE to see someone try the Three Stooges... or the Marx bros! -grin-

So... I'll be doing Helen of Troy. Thanks Daestwen! Refs to follow...

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/Helen.html

And Pictures!d The first one is my favorite. Poynter's version of Helen. Followed by a low-quality pic of Rossetti's. I have a better one but am not on the home compy at the moment. And Sandy's as well!

So. Going. To. FINISH. This!

Tav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lucky Munky: Since I haven't seen your ref yet, I have to say so far that I'm seeing more "female gladiator" than Spartacus in particular (but I'm not well versed in him, so.) Careful with the ribcage, there, that and the waist look a little distorted, right now.
    Unfortunately/fortunately there is no stereotype image of Spartacus. No too historical refs are even similar. Despite, or perhaps because of his, being the only famous Roman gladiator his only physical props are gladiatorial gear. And he is most often portrayed naked, so it is only his gladius, Roman short sword, which identifies him more often than not.

You say you are seeing just a female gladiator, but other than Spartacus, how many Roman gladiators can you name? And female gladiators were almost all Gauls and Celts who would have been displayed in their exotic native gear. Roman women were not gladiators. I am intending to plant a couple of roman army props on the sand at her feet; a standard and a helmet perhaps.

I realize I have some anatomical issues, but I'm having trouble working them out. If you or anyone else wants to scribble on my WIP to help straighten me out I'd be very grateful. It's gotten to be so I can't see it objectively any more.

Thanks for the crits from you and everyone else.

Art is a Weapon
    DESIGN WITH CAUTION !

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.