Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Chow 110 :: Historical Gender Bender

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wollstonecraft, thanks
    JessiBean, thanks for the advice! No, no ref yet. Don't really want to either lol, with ref it's no challenge anymore. Or so I think

Man, everyone's pieces are so good. I feel intimidated D:

Catatafish, looking great so far! Watch her left arm though (the one without sword), the elbow isn't really visible and its a bit too long i think.
    Lucky Munky, i love her expression! Anatomy's looking good as well. Keep going!
    Wiggers, these are badass And instantly recognizable.
    ArtFish, yeah the pose might be a bit static, but the costume is good! Can't wait to see your progress.
    JessiBean, great colors and the face is spot on! Go on, I wanna see this one finished
    daestwen, that looks great! No crits from me
    lewisaurus,so hot! Lol didn't think I'd ever say something like this about... you know xD But yeah.
    serhc, loving her face! Plus, the hair is awesome.
    Felicia, instantly recognizable! I love how she smiles while killing all those people.
    NARobles, my condolences for the tablet But the WIP is strong. So many faces. I think your idea of creating focus by refining him more than the others is the way to go. maybe also add some focus with lighting?
    Mike Corriero, great start man! I'm excited to see where you take this.
    Lalilulelo, female Moses, now that's what I call awesome Must be my favorite until now. Loving the ideas of the comets too.
    Chate Noire, her face and expression are just great! nice to see a woman with such strong features. Fits the topic really good I think!
    Sorknes, wow good job, they're recognizable even though they wear completely different stuff! And you did your research. Can't wait to see this finished!

So i, err, punched some colors on Debbie Crockett, and corrected the hand. I hate working with lines, it takes ages to get rid of them. Shouldn't have merged those layers, but ah well.
    Name:  davy wip 1.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  106.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooww nice topic ! I'll try to do something for it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vercingetorix and Leonidas,

Great chow this one, too many ideas!

Some of the one's i thought of doing:

Erik Bloodaxe
    Ramese
    Ivan the Terrible
    Charlemagne
    Alexander the Great
    Darius the Great
    Charles "the hammer" Martel
    Date "the one eyed dragon" Masamune
    El Cid

Thanks algenpfleger!!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Wiggers; March 12th, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about people who are so far back in history there are only various writings about them. Im interested in En no Gyoja, the "founder" of the Yamabushi, a sect of solitary mountain warrior buddhist monks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks altenpfleger, and yeah i kinda rushed the colour so far so i didnt see that

and jessibean i appreciate your comment!!

@wiggers, i love your concept so far, your scetches are really really good
    @ jessibean, that concept is awesome but somehow it makes me laugh everytime i see it, thumbs up

the moses and van gogh wips are awesome too

anyways i went for another concept since that first one had too few similarities with julius, i wasnt sure about the background too

i was looking for the commander caesar not for the politician in his robe
    im not happy with the new concept at all, there are so many mistakes but i hope i can eliminate them all

yaaay i can edit
    heres the updated version changed some parts that were annoying me, still the legs are left to correct and i guess some parts on the left(her right) arm arent correct still but luckily deadlines sunday

Last edited by Catatafish; March 13th, 2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: update the wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it just me or are a LOT of images not showing up? -hits computer-

thanks for the feedback everyone :] hope to post an update later

Available for Commissions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hmm, just realised her hair looks very wrong. grumble*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok I came up with five ideas of where I want to go, but I don't know, I think Wonder Man is growing on me

for clearification wonderman, mrs. clean, Mrs. Mao Zedong, Erika the Red, Her-cules

then again drawing a completely nude ass kicking woman, I wouldn't mind drawing that

illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    general portfolio website:
    www.ebillustration.com/gallery
    ca sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118097

careful, if you click on the sketch book link while you are viewing my ca sketchbook you might get stuck in a causality loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just bought a tablet this weekend, and just in time for a great topic!
    so lets see if i can get the hang of this thing!

quick starting sketch:

EDIT: and another one a bit further...

Last edited by Ridz; March 16th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic! I wish the part of the brief about taking the character out of the period context (i.e. modern day, futuristic) was Taken Out. It would be a far more difficult and challenging assignment because you have to really depend on the tools given for THAT era. Nobody can hide behind the gasmasks and matrix-style suits. You feel me?

But, cheers to all the colorful looking historical references that I'm seeing so far. Hope to see some nice entries from the big guns here... like Poshspice and it wouldn't hurt to get a Bumskee and an Andrewley in the mix either!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... trying to nail some colours. Really hard to keep focus on their faces having the right characteristics at the same time trying to work out colours, heh.

And for your information, mrdoom, most of the time someone not "a big gun" will come in and sweep people away with their entries, being right up there with the "big guns". I keep getting astonished round after round. Also, reason for people like me keep trying to enter this thing is for learning. That's why we love this thing. And also why we love to see someone suddenly raise themselves a level or fifteen, getting awsome stuff out in the polls. Can't become a big gun without at least trying and failing a thousand of times. Hard work to get up there.

So, anyway. I know it's way much of a WIP, but if someone sees anything screaming "no no", please tell me. *lol*

Updated

Last edited by Sorknes; March 12th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NARobles - interesting dynamic, including the Romanov family, since to my knowledge there's no photograph of them with Rasputin. Why not gender swap the rest of them while you're at it?

Jessibean - lovely painting - the ruff bothers me, though; is it your intent to make the ruff heart-shaped, rather than circular? That's how I'm reading it. Also the way it's painted resembles the color/gathering/pleating of the shirt underneath. It gives the impression of two ruffs stacked on top of each other, and I don't think it's your intention...

Sorkness - Hardy's skirt is too long - since you're going for that 20's flapper fashion silhouette, his skirt should probably expose the ankle area, just like Laurel's. Skirts to the ground like the way you've painted this one are much earlier (circa turn of the century). It's going to be an uphill battle if you try to make Hardy dowdy and dumpy in "drag" fashion from the 20's, since it's such a youthful silhouette, so it will be interesting to see how you're able to overcome that. Maybe less skin at the arms? Like a shawl? Dunno, just a suggestion...

Here's my line art for the Marquise de Sade...

Liberties have been slightly taken period-wise with the corsetry and the boots. Also her side-cans (those big structured and boned "hip poofs") are not included, as they would totally defeat the purpose of her languid pose...

Her entourage and "victims" need to be tweaked, especially the fellow with the apple in his mouth. Plus the rest of the servants and revellers are not present in this sketch...

It's hard to capture the excess of this period (1770's) without launching full-tilt into Marie Antoinette mode; the trick is getting enough of the period in, and capturing that lecherous and libertinous quality of the original Marquis. I've deliberately chosen the period when he/she would have been in his/her early thirties, just before the first arrests and imprisonment, though I may chuck this whole thing and restart from scratch by doing a much later, more grotesque Marquise, something a bit more Bosch...comments welcome

Update Friday evening - I felt she was looking too pretty. I gave myself an hour to do the opposite, later, and more grotesque version of my friend the Marquis, and found I loved the look so much so, that I decided to scrap the original line art above, and go with this...trying to keep her a bit stylized but hopefully not too cartoony...

Last edited by madhatter106; March 14th, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added some crits
    www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to do Ghandi, if that's alright. Brought India back under Indian rule. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghandi

Last edited by ManaBurn; March 13th, 2008 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fixed my sketch a bit, look more henry ish now?
    (i attempted to start the colors but i am not having a good painting day i was like RENDER PROPERLY...so ill hold off for a bit lol)

Name:  Historical Gender Bender.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  183.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gtgauvin View Post
    Time and inspiration permitting, I think I might have a try at Miyamoto Musashi. Good excuse to indulge in two of my favorite things: kick-ass swordfighting and Japanese women.

Attachment 322751
    I may have to do Teshu so that we can have a badass girl fight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick prelim sketch to get an idea for the desert vixen.

"They say the Devil has all the best tunes. This is broadly true, but Heaven has the best choreographers."

http://jadiesama.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    take it to the lounge. CHOW isn't the place for that sort of thing.

Thanks,
    ~Oreg.

Last edited by S.C. Watson; March 12th, 2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: because politics belongs in the lounge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg Shamrok HAHA
    i hope there aren't too many clinton fans on here xD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdoom View Post
    Cool topic! I wish the part of the brief about taking the character out of the period context (i.e. modern day, futuristic) was Taken Out. It would be a far more difficult and challenging assignment because you have to really depend on the tools given for THAT era. Nobody can hide behind the gasmasks and matrix-style suits. You feel me?

But, cheers to all the colorful looking historical references that I'm seeing so far. Hope to see some nice entries from the big guns here... like Poshspice and it wouldn't hurt to get a Bumskee and an Andrewley in the mix either!!!
    So far I haven't seen any matrix suits or gasmasks, and for good reason. I think it would be *much* harder to pull off this Chow succsessfully and try to set it in a different time period, but I've seen it done to great effect before, so I'm not about to rule it out.

As far as I can see, most people are sticking to period anyway, so.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

NARobles is offline Mean Green Mother from Outerspace! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Davi that is looking awesome! You got plenty time to finish! Her arms look a little too thick in parts, but what it is, I think, is she needs more mass in her top, it looks just a little small. That would make the arms seem less large.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hah Davi, I'm doing Kubla Khan! Pretty bad ass dude, drank his horses blood and stuff.
    Or I might Count Dracula. The person not the Vampire. He's on the list for the most evil people on earth. He did some pretty brutal stuff...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Hah Davi, I'm doing Kubla Khan! Pretty bad ass dude, drank his horses blood and stuff.
    Or I might Count Dracula. The person not the Vampire. He's on the list for the most evil people on earth. He did some pretty brutal stuff...
    Count Dracula = Vlad the Impaler, and I think we've already got at least one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, Daestwen, what about Billy the Kid? I've only found two photos online, and one of them is iffy, but you require three. Is that acceptable? Or should I find someone else?

Thanks,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    so, Daestwen, what about Billy the Kid? I've only found two photos online, and one of them is iffy, but you require three. Is that acceptable? Or should I find someone else?

Thanks,
    ~Oreg.
    I'm sure you can find an artist's rendition from the time period to make up your three. If not, just get me two links and two pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is probably the one i'll use to work from for the final. Just gotta fix some stuff up.

"They say the Devil has all the best tunes. This is broadly true, but Heaven has the best choreographers."

http://jadiesama.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'l do this one, given that the time is extended. Perhaps for those undecided I'll list some famous women because everyone's doing men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_the_Great

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_piaf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Austin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stephanie B - I like her! You've got a lot of character in that simple expression. Rather than having the hands behind her back, how about having her hold something... like a map or binoculars. Something that shows more of the personality. Rommel's very interesting; a German general from WW2 who was enormously respected by both his troops and the enemy. His memorial was erected by the British!

This is a popular topic eh!

Oregano - You got these?

http://www.walker47.com/w47/articles...y%20photo2.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/billythekid/

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.