Chow 110 :: Historical Gender Bender - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't read all the posts, is Charlie Chaplin available?

Last edited by Tommoy; March 15th, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

lord_regenschirm is offline Brought up in the ancient arts of mouse-painting :D Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I think you got me Jack Frost ...
    I'm already working on Mrs. Churchill but I most probably won't finish it till Sunday especially because of working with a mouse on a 15" Screen ... I'll post my actual state later on of course.

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I am here
    I am trying to put some feminity in her costume. But, as there were no other role for women (under napoleon reign) than mother or daughter (with no civil rights), there are no equivalences of military outfits (or none I have found).
    I improvised a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posting my Refs and then I'm going to do a sketch by the end of the day! YAY!

Wiki Article

I actually learned something from this! :3

Name:  bathory.gif
Views: 833
Size:  24.5 KBName:  bathory-portrait350.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  elisabeth20bathory.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  Elizabeth-Bathory.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  25.9 KB

and a portriat of her Husband.

Name:  Nadfer.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  17.6 KB

MY SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbook Support Group!
    JTAART
    M-MIN
    KASHMIR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit of a mess but an idea towards where I'm headed. Changed the hieght of the crescent because it looked a bit like a halo. Reduced the swirly-whirlies. Put astrolabe in hand. Might tone down the gold frame and make it a subdued dark slate.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryuloulou There aren't any female uniforms now either, aside from adding a skirt. Your representation is looking feminie so no worries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryuloulou That's super cool, but what is she doing with her other hand. Looks like she is scratching her belly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so this challenge thing has totally invaded my brain, because it's such an awesome idea, and I ended up doing a bunch of little non-referenced, non-researched doodles on the subway.

Still doing Beethoven (he's fun!), but the sketches amused me and I figured they might amuse youse, too. If this is bad form, I completely apologize and the mods or whatever can totally delete this post.

(Fun Fact: Groucho's stage persona started off as a German schoolteacher)

Last edited by HiloHello; March 15th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Still getting the hang of this place, heh.

lord_regenschirm is offline Brought up in the ancient arts of mouse-painting :D Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats all I got so far and I think there won't be more time this weekend to finish Mr. Churchill. And painting with the mouse doesn't make it any easier

Two of my reference-pictures ...

... and painting

Just went in last-minute because I wanted to give you hint of what a female Churchill could look like ...

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When is the deadline?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH GOD, MOUSE PAINTING!!! Noooooo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryuloulou I think she looks great, the uniform is perfect (love the boots).

My only crit would be the angle of her pose hiding her right hand (tucked in her waistcoat), it should be a little more prominent IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enrigo
    That's super cool, but what is she doing with her other hand. Looks like she is scratching her belly.
    Such an eternal question.
    if you are curious, I suggest you read this

I might summerize it.

father De La Salle had written a book called "the rules of propriety and christian civism" wich made authority.
    It explained that "It's a shame to cross the arms on the chest, to interlace them behind the back, to leave them hanging nonchalantly, to swing them while walking, on releave pretext.the usage wants that, if one is walking with a stick, the unused arms rests lightly against the body and receves an almost unperceptible move without hanging by the side. If one has no stick or gloves, it is ordinary to leave the right arm resting on the chest or stomac, passing the hand in the coat opening [...] arms must be kept in an honest and decent position".

(sorry if the traduction is approximative)

and this is the reason why, church should never again interfere in the fashion area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Billy the Kid Gender Bend

You've heard of Billy the Kid, well this is his younger sister Wilhemina, or Willie. She's not much to look at, but don't tell her that... she'll shoot you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, almost forgot the link.
    http://www.aboutbillythekid.com/Biography.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry to say it, adri-n, but, I don't think paint overs are autorized, you have to bring some interpretation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo lord?---- what program is that? its all pixelized an ish...?

ryu --- thasss tight i really dig the hair man.. inspiring

adri N---- arent you supposed to flip the gender anyway? even though you added the hair it stilll looks like a male

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102221
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

AIM/AOL SCREENAME: ACRO IS ILL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by flamable View Post
    When is the deadline?
    Way back in a post on an earlier page, Daestwan said that they extended the deadline to Sunday, March 23, at 23:59. So we have an extra week to pull out all the stops...

lord_regenschirm - I know there's your ref picture of Churchill with the gun, but why include it in your female intrepretation? For me, the archetypal Churchill move is the "V for Victory" fingers - personally, I don't think he needs the tommy gun.

ryuloulou - nice painting - but you have her wearing a mens' vest, as it buttons on the right side. I suspect you probably need to keep it this way, since you need left hand to be able to slip into the vest, but just something I wanted to point out.

ManicShadow - great start on Vlad the Impaler. I'd be careful not to sex her up too much - though it is kind of funny to think of an impaling bloodthirsty ruler who looks like a pin-up - maybe I'm reacting this way to the pose. Maybe something more regal or menacing or imperial, rather than sex-kitten flirtatious?

Molly - I noticed on your Hitler that you have her hair back, but that it's all loose and messy in the back. Why not give her a real severe and tight bun? Something very controlled and deliberate and proper? To me, that would read more "female Hitler" than the way you have it tied loosely into a pony tail...

Ice Moon and ArtemisIX - I'd be careful on the sexy factor in Lady Rembrandt and Lady Mozart- her panties and stockings are reading more as 20th century Victoria's Secret than period. Especially the length of the skirt, too - she's okay on the period fashion from the waist up, and then shes goes way modern from the waist down.

Acro - your Atilla is looking more "World of Warcraft" than anything else. I'd suggest diving into the research and looking at the clothes of the period - as it is right now, it looks more fantasy than period.

iuva - I like the addition of male Cleopatra in the background, in his greatest sexy "come hither" pose. I'd do a bit more research into the Egyptian fashion of that period - if memory serves me right, male rulers in Egypt shaved their heads and wore elaborate headpieces. It would also help with the linen wrap he is wearing - those were pleated and constructed in a very specific way, so I'd avoid the "towel around the midsection" look that is a trap that so many people fall into when painting/drawing this period. Also, he's a bit "naked" for a ruler - maybe some gold and jewel encrusted Egyptian bling, to juice him up a bit? Just so it makes it look like Julius isn't going to be hitting on or picking up one of the servant boys? LOL

Another friendly note to everyone - BUTTONS! Buttons, buttons, buttons, buttons! When you switch gender, depending on the period, you are usually switching the side a garment buttons on! Vests and coats especially. It's a personal pet peeve of mine, and pops up from time to time in finished art and animation everywhere. (To this day, the model of Homer Simpson in his Sunday finest has him buttoning his coat on the wrong side, and it peeves me to no end.) I'd just be careful with the buttons - personally I'd treat it like a research requirement if you're trying to nail down the period clothing...

www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madhatter106 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think is paint ACRO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madhatter106 thank you very much for this very usefull information.
    I have changed the buttons side. any other mistake?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ManicShadow - great start on Vlad the Impaler. I'd be careful not to sex her up too much - though it is kind of funny to think of an impaling bloodthirsty ruler who looks like a pin-up - maybe I'm reacting this way to the pose. Maybe something more regal or menacing or imperial, rather than sex-kitten flirtatious?
    Yeah I know. While I was coloring her last night, I kept telling myself she looked way too much like a supermodel. I posted an update. I hope it looks less pin-up/supermodely.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter106 View Post
    Another friendly note to everyone - BUTTONS! Buttons, buttons, buttons, buttons! When you switch gender, depending on the period, you are usually switching the side a garment buttons on! Vests and coats especially. It's a personal pet peeve of mine, and pops up from time to time in finished art and animation everywhere. (To this day, the model of Homer Simpson in his Sunday finest has him buttoning his coat on the wrong side, and it peeves me to no end.) I'd just be careful with the buttons - personally I'd treat it like a research requirement if you're trying to nail down the period clothing...
    This particular thing I'm not going to be picky on (and the same goes for the medals.)

Because if a gal's wearing men's clothing, the buttons will still be on the men's side. I'm not going to assume that they tailer-fit for our gender benders, so I'm perfectly happy to let 'masculine' forms of fashion pass on on girls, and the other way around. A lot of these (like my nelson, vorace's otto, and ryu's napoleon) wouldn't have had girls in that time period in those clothes *at all*, so if there was one, she would have worn exactly what the guys did anyway. (In fact, especially when it comes to pirates, many women *did*.)

So.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by iuvo View Post
    Mike Corriero: looks nice, hope you get the time to come back to it.
    Thanks, I probably won't have the time to finish for the deadline, but yea I hope to eventually come back to it at a later date.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Just updating my post with a new pose. Much happier with this for my Saladin gender bender! I haven't added the sword in there yet, still looking on some half decent reference for that. She looks older and more noble now, much better, although the sketch is slightly confusing still haha!

Name:  saladinanew.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  136.6 KB

"I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this! Have a nice day."

...Some sort of sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohh...theres still time left. Lots of it, but I dont know who I would do, or how I could even compete with the talent in here
    Im gonna give it a go, this is gonna be my first Chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I did some major reconstruction work on my sketch. And shrunk it in the process, apparently, because I found room for feet on the page.

Anyway. Anything I need to know about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been an absentee for a long old time but this topic has dragged me back kicking and screaming!
    I'm having a stab at Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Reference:
    Name:  brunel2_small.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  39.5 KBName:  brunel_small.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  image_small.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  16.8 KB

Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel

WIP so far:
    Might actually stick with the sepia as it fits quite nicely with the period, we'll see how I go with time...
    Name:  ms brunel2.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  65.3 KB

Good luck all. Really looking forward to seeing the entries this round!

"the only true wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing" - Bill S. Preston esq.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    This particular thing I'm not going to be picky on (and the same goes for the medals.)

Because if a gal's wearing men's clothing, the buttons will still be on the men's side. I'm not going to assume that they tailer-fit for our gender benders, so I'm perfectly happy to let 'masculine' forms of fashion pass on on girls, and the other way around. A lot of these (like my nelson, vorace's otto, and ryu's napoleon) wouldn't have had girls in that time period in those clothes *at all*, so if there was one, she would have worn exactly what the guys did anyway. (In fact, especially when it comes to pirates, many women *did*.)

So.
    This is quite true - just a detail I'd like to point out - for me, there's more to this project than taking the clothes from the research and just transposing the gender. After all, it's "gender bender" and not "transvestite". It involves designing for a character, the characteristics and trademarks of which are already established by history...

But I defer to the mods, as they'll make the final decisions. I'd just hate for anyone to be dismissive about certain aspects of the period fashion or mode, since this is indeed a research project - not just of the person, but how they fit into the time in which they lived. (It's the costume design student in me.)

But you're right, especially for ruler types, there is no female equivalent socially, which allows for more leeway and interpretation.

Can't wait to see the final burning thread on this! And glad you guys extended the deadline to next week, it lets me get in some reading on the Marquis de Sade's biography I just snagged from the used bookstore down the street...

www.costumesketch.com

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter106 View Post
    But I defer to the mods, as they'll make the final decisions. I'd just hate for anyone to be dismissive about certain aspects of the period fashion or mode, since this is indeed a research project - not just of the person, but how they fit into the time in which they lived. (It's the costume design student in me.)
    I'm expecting to be more lenient since in the original post I did very specifically say that 'alternate histories, different time periods etc' were perfectly acceptable, though I'm very happy that so many people are really getting into the historical research aspect of it. I just want to make sure that everyone knows they have at least a little leeway, in that department.

Edit: To give you an idea of what I mean by this... Posh's 'Lady Frances Drake' comes to mind.

Last edited by daestwen; March 15th, 2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: because i can spell, honest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HiloHello View Post
    Well, I did some major reconstruction work on my sketch. And shrunk it in the process, apparently, because I found room for feet on the page.

Anyway. Anything I need to know about?
    I do love the pose, HiloHello. I can hear the opening chord's of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony when I look at it For me, it's all about the hair when I think of Beethoven - that crazy wild messy mop is so iconic with him. That and the deaf thing, which is impossible to do in a drawing/painting. I think he/she needs a stern facial expression, too - every painting and bust of Beethoven I've seen has him looking pissed LOL.

I'd love to see it painted like he was in a concert hall, with the dim and faint outline of society types in the shadowy recesses of the background, and with dramatic lighting coming up from the orchestra pit underneath him. Maybe the silhouettes of violinists and tuba players in the immediate foreground, with him looming up over them like some demented deity? It might help to convey the grandeur of his music as well...or maybe that would be Richard Wagner too. LOL

www.costumesketch.com

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.