Sketchbook: graphite & wacom from march08 to feb10 - Page 12

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Thanks
    wicked creatures man... especially these last ones.. feels unique

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    great design, Love that futuristic soldier.
    difference from the rest.

Thanks
    retardedmonkey – I spent last weekend sketching a soldier and I messed up the proportions. I decided to keep working on it instead of erasing and starting over, and it ended up looking like a Warhammer character which, no offense, is quite particular and too stylized for my tastes, you know, realistic rendering but cartoony tiny head with massive limbs; so if that’s the kind of odd proportions you’re suggesting, uhmmmmmm, maybe later? but I’ll try designing one or a few soldiers with a massive weapon and/or gear, I’ve always wanted to do that.

Strela – thank you! About figure drawing, also spend some time doing 5min, 10min, and even 30min poses, so then you can take more time building up a skeleton or a structure, measuring and checking proportion, and who knows, maybe some rendering practice.

William b. Hand – hi there! I’m glad you like the golem idea and hope you like the update.

ChristianWeeks – The details on the flesh and all that takes some good time and dedication, and I’m still learning, so it feels great when someone has such nice words about what I do. Thank you!

arghmisfit – thank you!

sarotekung – thank you! That was the idea, and I’ll keep working on them. It is difficult to step aside the traditional or more common soldier look, but that’s the thrill of designing them.

Tiny update. Having some hard time trying to emulate wet mudd. I want its limbs to look like made of mudd but firm enough to not fall apart. Almost as firm as skin. Some more detailing to do. This...is...fun.

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some mudd+moss+wood golems updates, still WIPs, an ice+snow golem sketch, and some sketches I did on the weekend to participate on the EOW, Dracula's castle. I won't be able to finish it on time. I was just browsing the sub-forums and noticed the cool topic, but I started with the sketches too late. I'm not even halfway done with it, but I'll keep working on it. I haven't done environments in years, I'm rusted, but I really want to develop these ideas for Dracula's castle.
    I copied and pasted from my EOW thread what the sketches are about:
    -Hundreds, thousands, a lot of impaled people around the castle
    -Large areas with terraces (like those in rice fields) collecting the drained blood
    -All that blood ends in a giant pool (or different pools and baths) where Dracula takes a bath, have dinner, have fun with other vampires.
    -Gothic inspired architecture, sometimes upside down. In other words, some inverted buildings, towers, and all that. Dracula hangs like a bat when sleeping, can walk on walls, on the ceiling, but also like us; so this castle is a mess inside, unsettling, confusing.

I want to finish the golems this week, keep working on the castle, and start gesturing soldiers again.

Cheers!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 491 Posts
    this wet guy impress me! Oo

Thanks
    Awesome sketchbook, very inspiring!
    I really like the golems, can't wait to see the next one.
    As for the dracula castles.. I like the top left one most. It has something creepy and disturbing about it. Kinda reminds me of a screaming face or something.

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    ooooh man, you've a unique style ! love it ! Wanna see more ! give us mooore !

Thanks
    Great sketchbook luness! Always liked how a lot of your concepts seem to have an organic character (as in, not man made - even parts of the soldier designs a few pages back).
    Realy liking the golems and dracula castles, especially the one that's closest to a normal cathedral, only inverted!!
    Keep up the great work!!

Thanks
    I'm still lovin that long legged one, hehe. Your pencil technique is gorgeous btw and i can't wait to see the ice golem rendered.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Ahh mate, I love your Dracula's castle.Please finish it!
    Haven't seen your environments before, and it's looking sweet!

The golem's are so good as well, can't wait for the ice one!

Keep inspiring luness!
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Great designs,show us more!

Thanks
    That last update was wonderful.
    Nice chaotic shapes in those mud/wood/moss golems. I especially like the patches of wood on their upper torsos. For your earlier mud golem, if you're trying to go for that wet mud look I'd add some sharper and brighter highlights. When things are wet, the water often smooths out the surface, making it more reflective, and thus making sharper, brighter highlights.
    Awesome shapes on the ice golem.
    As for your Dracula's Castle concepts, the idea of the upside down castle really made me go "wow." Brilliant and very original idea, and it ties in very well with Dracula's bat-like nature. The lower right concept is my favorite of these, but I do like some of the features of the top left concept, such as the anthropomorphic rock form. Perhaps you could do a combination of those two concepts?
    Once again, great stuff.

Thanks
    aaargh...want to see moooore 12 pages aren´t enough

really: 12 very interesting and inspiring pages

Thanks
    that dracula enviroment story is awesome!
    the sketches rule as always!!

hmm the lighting in your digitals, could it be a bit stronger?
    maybe some tiny lines with verry hard light?
    i dont know but maybe iam wrong, sometimes i notice some verry strong
    pieces on this site with amazing strong light details.. maybe you could try sometime?
    it might raise your digital pieces even more..

keep it up!!

Last edited by erik-jan v/d schuur; May 20th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Verehin – I’m glad it does, thank you!

KingAcer – thank you for the feedback!

Walid D – I will, I will, haha

MacTire – thank you so much, I’m glad you like what I’ve posted so far

Imaginary - …aand that’s the one I’ll keep working on. I’ll start with the ortho pretty soon. Thank you for the kind words!

JailHouseRock2 – thank you man! I suck doing environments, specially when it’s about rendering, but it’s something I want to keep working at.

nellement – haha, yeah I will

Moai – thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it. As for the wet look, oh man, I know what you mean, but it’s so hard to get. A shiny skin or shell it’s much easier, but we are talking about mudd, which is somewhat bland and malleable yet firm, with some texture but also smooth in parts, and I want to get that look, not just a wet surface…it’s been difficult and in fact, I’ve set a layer exclusively for the wet look, so I can try different approaches. The wet look is done changing the opacity of a white or light colored lasso selected area, so if I keep using that technique I just have to experiment with the value. We’ll see how it all turn out at the end. Cheers!

HerrleerzeichenS –
    hahaha, I’m doing my best

`ej – remember that these are WIPs, so I’m aware of light adjustments, but thank you for pointing that out anyways, it’s a good suggestion to consider. One thing though, light “bounces” differently according to the surface, so hard lights are welcome when the surface is polished or smooth, for example, and not when it’s porous or matte, and I had in mind to get different kinds of textures on these characters, hence some hard lights here and there but not everywhere. Thanks for stopping by!

Alrrrrright. Thank you so much for the feedback about the golems and specially about Dracula’s castle. I was in a rush because of the EOW deadline but I rather do something right, take some time getting everything on its right place than just posting some crap for the sake of posting. I’ll be doing some more castle sketches today, and perhaps some SketchUp building to help me with the lights and shadows, once I decide what sketch to develop.
    Here’s the ice golem color WIP. Same thing than with the mudd look, just experimenting. Still some work to do. I hope you like it.

For some reason, the calibration of my monitor is not right, or maybe I did something stupid with my PS settings, or maybe it’s a combination of both, I don’t know but, lately, the color pieces look slightly different when saved as jpegs, like saturated or something, quite annoying…oh well, I’ve managed to get the right color in the past, don’t remember how, I’ll check my How-To’s but anyways, have a good weekend everybody!

Cheers!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow the golems look great already. unique designs!
    looking forward to the finished ones.
    thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Thanks
    That ice golem is tight!

About the whole proportions thing with the soldiers, I didn't mean warhammer style or anything like that. I'm not a huge fan of those proportions either. I was just thinking it would be cool to mess with the proportion, but I guess the result would lean towards some form of stylized soldier design already out there which I wouldn't like as much either.

Anyway your stuff is very inspirational as usual! More please!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Wow the Ice Golem's looks soo good!

Not really a crit, just my opine, but I much prefer your coloured piece when you really use the line work. Hard to explain, but on some like this one - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1239600510- I just think it looks a little to digital, probably just the hair. And still love all your work, but just prefer the one (like the last golum) with a wash over the line. Just me tho

Please keep the updates coming, Your works so very inspirational!

Cheers mate,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    monotony - thanks for stopping by!! I'm glad you like the golems. I've had a blast working on them

Imaginary - thanks so much for the link! I'll check it out.

retardedmonkey - haha, it's ok man. Thanks so much for the suggestion anyways.

JailHouseRock2 -
    That creature was a bit of an experiment. I wanted it to look more realistic than my previous pieces, trying a different style of rendering, just experimenting, you know? and the hair? well, at the end I wanted more curliness, something that the original sketch doesn't have, and went crazy with that tiny pen brush, haha. Thanks for the kind comments!

Today it was 29C in my room. Kinda hot. I decided to leave the computer, sit near the air conditioner and do some sketches for the rest of the day. I did these aliens for pure fun and joy.

Cheers!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh yes, those are the kind of sketches I visit this thread for. Each concept has something wonderful.

Thanks
    very nice thread dude keep up the good work!

about your computer trouble,i had a similar problem,monitor calibrated but when i saved jpegs it didnt show the same... so i went to VIew >> Proof colors...check that on and it should adjust ur image.i hate it to cos i sometimes forget to turn it on and i have no idea how it ended up like this
    hope it helps

cheers

Thanks
    That stone golem is one of the most awesome things I've seen in a long time. Awesome.

Thanks
    Awesome SB!Crazy stile man!

Thanks
    we have Disney style exaggeration, Pixar,marvel and we have now Nessi style of exaggeration, your stuff is amazing, Love your human characters, creatures and what else not every thing is so delicately handled and it seems you really made love to your papers to get these born.

-edit- please give me your value able critique to my work. thanks in advance.

Last edited by sony; May 27th, 2009 at 06:43 AM.

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Awesome monster design here;D Really loving these dryads, or what they are

-E

Thanks
    Interesting aliens! Awesome pencilling as usual! Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    The golems are impressive!
    Post more!

Cheers,

Thanks
    I love the pencils but i cannot wait to see the rest of that WIP.

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    I wish I could put your drawings into a blender and have an Inspiration smoothie.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3