Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #64: Starfighter Carrier

IDW #64: Starfighter Carrier

Topic: Starfighter Carrier

Background: As promised, a follow-up on IDW #63: Deep Space Starfighter. The topic here can be interpreted more broadly than just a Carrier. A cruiser or frigate is fine as well. More importantly is the fact that it should relate to your Starfighter from last round.

To make this easier, I urged you all to take a couple of photographs to base your design on. In this round, you're going to use the same photo's and use them to base your new design on. Keep in mind, the goal of this is that in the end there is a clear visual relationship between the Starfighter and its carrier. In the previous rounds I noticed some of you changed their reference images according to what they had designed, that is something that will not really work here I'm afraid. Adding a new image to use as reference is fine, but again, the final result should match the designlanguage you used on the Starfighter.

For people who didn't enter the last round or didn't finish anything in time, treat this as the last one by using the reference images as a guide for the design. If you like you could however still add a fighter as well

In the end, your final image should include both designs without the reference photo's! This way it's easier for people to vote.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a Starfighter Carrier!
    2. The design should be in the same style and form language as your Starfighter from the previous round. Use your reference images!
    3. Your final image should include both the carrier and the fighter (you may do this in two separate presentations or include both in a single shot).
    4. If you didn't enter the last round, read above please
    5. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Saturday March 15

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    lol....i knew it

this time i will add less description

Thanks
    Yeah, this was kind of obvious, but nevertheless I shall enter maybe....most of my jobs are done now......but yeah, less description on my side..got it.
    FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    right, I'm in for this - had a great idea for the fighter, but no time.
    My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    Ok, this will be my post from here on out since Yoitisi doesnt like me posting all the damn time like before. All my wips and concepts will go on this thread, up until the final, where it will be on a new post.

Carrier concept as of so far. Got along way to go, but I think it will do ok. Still retains the skeleton like feel of the last ship, has large electric rods on the back to gather massive amounts of energy from nebulas and solar storms. Plus it has a slight water vibe with a boat feel on it, so I hope this fits in the requirements. As of so far, it will hold up to 10000 people and 3500 ships.

Thanks
    Guess this didn't come as much of a surprise indeed

Digital Blacksmith: Thanks in advance for keeping it in one post, saves me some work later on. As for your Carrier, it does have some links to the older one but you might want to try out something with the whole gear-thing that one had, as it was pretty dominant in the fighter design. Also, for such a bit ship the two decks and square and blocky shape don't really convey the immense size of it yet. I think a whole lot more decks and less massive details on it will help there.

Thanks
    I'm gonna *try* to do this one, I really like this topic, plus I really need to get *something* done. I think it'll be good for my own self-esteem as an artist haha

anyway, I'll be using these references:

we'll see what happens
    Mah Sketchbook, holmes.

Thanks
    Yeah, im just trying out a concept as for now. But my computer started screwing up after 300,000 polys I have on that thing, so ill most likely just try some new technique......And I might have one.....well see. And thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    It might be worth starting all over for this. Though I submitted a concept in the last work, am I allowed to start from scratch for a new concept or do I have to use the images and stuff I did for the last contest?

Thanks
    Ok, here's the reference pieces:

My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    giving this a go.

This is not for you.

FBRCCN

Thanks
    first idea goes like this
    .........................(""""oo\
    ...______ ....______]%[______
    /-- -..---\ /.-.-.....-----.---....\------------------------------
    |- -- .___.|...[___________].---------------------------------/
    |..--..\__/ -/"""\.-.-.....--......-----._______________________|
    | ---.........-\__/==...-....--===--|=<{
    .\__ .-.---....-.-.-.-.-.-.--...----|=<|
    ........\-------|..----===----|=<{
    ..................|".-.-.--.-.o--.//
    ..................."""""""""""""""""

landing area down and front open, starting are backwards
    some stuff on the sides and a combat pod on the top

Thanks
    2 questions
    Can we enter this one if we didn't enter the last?
    And are 3d models allowed? As in the rules it says they aren't, but iv seen some people like Digital Blacksmith's entry being in 3d

Thanks
    well... im trying definately

Thanks
    i am gonna force myself to do this one even if its the worst picture on here

Thanks
    Xabian, I use 3d as a base to get the basic shapes down, then i paint over it, adding detail from there. Thats perfectly legal, they even have the tutorial on using that technique on this part of the forum.

Thanks
    Digital_Blacksmith: awesome i might have to try that, seems to get a pretty accurate result thanks =]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Blacksmith View Post
    Xabian, I use 3d as a base to get the basic shapes down, then i paint over it, adding detail from there. Thats perfectly legal, they even have the tutorial on using that technique on this part of the forum.
    Do you, by any chance, have the link to that tutorial? Thanks.

Thanks
    Kuth: You can start all over if you like, I just think you get more out of it if you keep the old references. It's up to you though.

Fughi from Yuggoth: Hehe that's some unusual piece conceptart you've got there

Xabian: Yep you can enter this one without doing the first one, just gather some reference and stick with it. I see Digital Blacksmith already answered the second question: paint overs are no problem, pure 3d models are not allowed.

Sjouke: Check the stickies in the main IDW area Here's the direct link: An IDW tutorial by Sogbad:

Thanks
    Just my own 2 cents on using a 3D program as a base:

If you already know perspective really well and are using a 3D prog simply as a tool to help speed things along, then more power to you. I'm jealous But I think that for people like me, who still rather struggle with perspective, one could get a lot more out of it by just working out the perspective and trying to finish it that way.

Using a 3D prog is mighty tempting just because I don't have that firm grasp of perspective yet, but I think in the end I'll learn a lot more if I don't use one.

Like I said, just my own 2 coppers worth.
    Mah Sketchbook, holmes.

Thanks
    HRM.

while I do like my last design, I almost feel like challenging myself this time by creating a whole new starfighter as well as the carrier. Seems to me like this is a golden opportunity to fix the errors in the last one.

Just a thought - I might not go through with it and I'm pretty sure I'll be using the same ref.
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    A small discussion on energy vs solid weapons in space. Thought it would be prudent.

- Solid weapons in space makes perfect sense to me because of this: they never, ever, ever stop. There's no such thing as range and propulsion rarely matters. Torpedoes are pointless unless they're constantly accelerating, but bullets just fly on and fly on. You could even have superfast "capture" ships that recover unused solid ammo. I found the idea intriguing because it's so rarely used.

- I thought more in the direction of physics laws: Conservation of linear momentum. If the bullets should be effective than they have to have tremendous speed. So the ship has to compensate in the opposite direction what would require energy in some form (after energy was wasted by speeding up the bullet to this velocity with a magnetic field because it is the single possible way, today anyways and so on and on and on). Rockets have fuel as energy and no need to compensate for their acceleration. Energy beams are weightless.

- a short bit on railguns in space - which says there is recoil anyway.
    "The need for strong conductive materials with which to build the rails and projectiles; the rails need to survive the violence of an accelerating projectile, and heating due to the large currents and friction involved. The force exerted on the rails consists of a recoil force - equal and opposite to the force propelling the projectile, but along the length of the rails (which is their strongest axis) - and a sideways force caused by the rails being pushed by the magnetic field, just as the projectile is. The rails need to survive this without bending, and must be very securely mounted."

- along that same vein, when a very small projectile is launched from a large base, the amount of relative force exerted on the pieces of the large base is very small compared to that of the projectile. Recoil is still slowed by mass - and can be canceled (albeit not completely) by forward motion in space - so solid weapons should work fine, but shooting them will slow your ships down.

so keep your weapons systems in mind!~
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    here's my final - can't spend any more time on this due to work n stuff. and i'm leaving for paris on saturday!

Alamut, Hive-class Carrier

Being 1115m long, 220m wide and 1310m high, Alamut carriers are an impressive and intimidating sight to behold, and with an operating crew of more than 2100 people, they are the third biggest vessels in the Mercurian Armada.

One single Alamut carrier can transport up to 4 battle-ready bataillons of Hashashin tactical fighters, each bataillon consisting of 28 crafts.

used my old mobiles' power supply as reference/inspiration. no cam around, here's a pic found on the web:

the fighters are loosely based on my earphones.
    Last edited by hallo; March 14th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.

This is not for you.

FBRCCN

Thanks
    This site - Atomic Rocket - is basically a treasure trove of spacecraft/spaceflight information. Quite helpful if you want to inject a teensy weensy bit of realism into your spaceship design or justify the inclusion of certain technology. Also good for a dose of old school sci-fi nostalgia.

Check out the arguments against space fighters

And relevant to this week's IDW: Space Carrier

Personally, I just switch off the nerd in me and just try to focus on drawing cool shit.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to huhwhat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    aright - first few thumbs coming up now.

It was pointed out to me that my starfighter from the last one was more of a gunship and less of a starfighter - so I figured I could do another fighter for this (although I plan on putting in the gunship too, so they'll keep the same design language)

Input appreciated!

Carriers - currently liking #3, #9, #10, #12

Fighters - currently liking #2, #7, #8 (since these are kind of a minor part of the image I might go with several designs)
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Panda - For your carriers, I think 10 is the one I find the most interesting from your favs, but I really like the Mothership tower shape of 5 + 6. And my favourite fighter is 8, I like its chunky build - looks like a solid and reliable vehicle.
    My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    Here's some sketches I did, playing with the forms - you can see prototype starfighter designs on one page, and the other deals more with carrier concepts.

And here's a rough of the carrier itself. I should set out the basic design limitations and technology I'm thinking about for this ship. Firstly, it's not just a carrier, it's also a factory ship capable of making new ships from scratch. Secondly, the ships it launches are AI remotes controlled by a central computer hive mind. Thirdly, the design is for a fairly hard sci-fi setting, no magic technologies such as hyperdrives, etc.

The huge central mast leads from the engine core (central block) to the sensor nest. This is to make sure the sensors are as far away from the fusion engine as possible, and to give them a better angle. In a fleet of ships, such carriers are responsible for scanning the area of engagement and dispatching fighters and missiles to deal with long-range threats. The engine core is entirely taken up by fuel and material storage tanks, reactors and containment systems.

The outer ring has three hangars, each capable of launching a flight of six fighters simultaneously forwards along magnetic catapaults, and recieving a flight at the rear for repairs and resupply. Spare fighters and components are stored along the inside of the ring, while the outside is studded with point-defence lasers to protect against enemy fighters and ordinance. It is also heavily armoured and shields the central core from most attacks to the side.
    My SketchbookScribbles

Thanks
    Panda - like the thumbnails I think in general they look pretty good and hold to the design path you chose, comments (for the carrier):
    3 - looks close to a carrier type of craft and fits with your initial design references and the design you did for the fighter craft.
    12 - looks strong but I think it's a bit too like a lot of what has already been done - maybe doesn't contain enough of the design elements. Though where it does they are very clear.
    2 - interesting as it's very different from 'conventional' designs.
    5&6 - I think it might be hard to make designs like this not look too homeworld'y.
    4 - looks quiet cartoony and with the mouth element so strong it looks too me like a ship devour'er rather than carrier.
    8 - I like but wonder whether it matches the design language closely enough.
    10 - pretty strong too
    I'd go for 3,10,8 likely in that order.

Digital Blacksmith - I think yoitisi is right when he says you've not shown off the scale of the model too well - within the design there is nothing familiar to the viewer that can convey the size of the object - especially when there are object like the rails around the wells in the decks that make the model look quiet small (given that typically a rail is about half the height of a man). Are you changing you design direction, if not you might want to think about how you're incorporating that reference.

Hallo - great sense of scale shown there.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Yeah, im going to be changing it completely to a large city type carrier.

Thanks
    Here's a tidied up version of my unfinished fighter entry from the last IDW - I pulled off most of the colour as it wasn't helping anything. (I remembered why I liked drawing space though)

The reference is here, though I never got around to scanning in the funeral brasses I was looking at so they aren't shown here.

Working of these I'm putting something together for the carrier today, see what comes of it - currently I'm finding it hard to put something together that looks different enough from the fighter but still contains the elements of the reference.

----------Edit 03/13/08----------
    Sketches together:

----------Edit 03/16/08----------
    FINAL:
    Last edited by D-Holme; March 16th, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast