Illustrating with Wacom
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Illustrating with Wacom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Illustrating with Wacom

So I've recently accuired a wacom pad which I LOVE makes illustrating line art SO much easier AND I dont' waist paper! Go me

Anyway, HEre are two. The first is an illustrated line art where I really think something is off but I'm not sure what. So if you have suggestions on how to fix please let me know (rather than just saying something's off, actually suggest how to fix it).

The second is a quick sketch I did, I am going to clean her up to turn her into line art, but again, I want to make sure I iron out all the wrinkles first. So any suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look, I'm no expert and sometimes I really feel a little uncomfortable pointing things out, but in the first one, the left upper arm looks dislocated and too long.

I just got a wacom tablet too. I love it too. There is such a huge difference with it compared the the 50 dollar tablet I had for years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm totally the opposite with my tablet I have a terrible time inking digitally. I prefer to just color and shade with it.

Anyway....I think you would surely benefit from making a stick figure framework underneath your characters before you flesh them out. I see some symmetry issues with the anatomy (shoulders, face, neck in context with shoulders).
    In regards to the first inked figure: his hand appears to be very, very small compared to the rest of the figure, and misplaced within the sleeve, I think it should be positioned further down, the folds in the clothing seem doughy, referring to some magazine ads or other photos for reference would really help
    Second figure: besides what I've already pointed out, the fingers stand out the most. They appear to lack any structure or joints.
    But, once again, these are all very easily fixed with a little referencing. I have trouble with hands myself (pockets anyone?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The heads are a bit small on both pieces. I've done a quick paint over and cut/paste, just quick and dirty with the mouse. I do realize that I changed the emotion of the face. I don't pretend to be a master at cartooning, and certainly not the anime style at all. However it is the anatomy I am trying to help correct.
    I see what you are trying to do with the center line, sort've foreshorten the chest and pop it out a bit, but the center line doesn't coincide with the shape of the silhouette or the center line's position on the neck. Instead of popping that chest out, it makes it feel "off" .. in the PO I just moved that line, if you still want that protruded chest, you will have to change the silhouette near the right shoulder. Everything else is pretty self explanatory in the animation. Just a lot of little things that add up. Drawing the skeleton or rough shapes really pops incorrect features out at you, but it requires a good understand and reference. Also, I have added some line weighting, but that's more of a style choice. I think the forms read better that way.
    I hope you find it helpful!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the hands. I..er.. got lazy *HEH* I keep saying "I need to go fix that" and then... never do. Of course it's the first thing I did about 5 minutes after I got the pad. IT"S SO FREAKING COOL! I love not having to use a pencil to erase and having crap on the paper and having to scan then fix, then blah blah blah. So much easier just to open illustrator

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I agree about the arm and the eye, I'm not sure I agree about the head, I started off with a bigger head and it didn't look right so I made is smaller. I'll repost with the bigger and see what you think

Thank you for letting me know, I'm horrible at fixing my own mistakes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eric has nailed everything I would have brought up about the first drawing, so I'll comment on the second.

1.) The lips are way to heavily defined compared to the rest of the face, this gives the the impression that a.) you're trying to draw Mick Jagger or b.) the character is sucking on Wax Lips.

2.) The nose is too small compared to the rest of the face. Maybe this is intentional... I don't know. Also, I think the ears could come up a bit.

3.) The character's shirt is drifting to the left instead of down (where gravity would pull it.)

4.) The character's right (our left) shoulder is much wider than the other.

5.) The upper arms look very skinny compared to the forearms / hands. Also, the shoulders seems set kind of high, yet the arms fold over the stomach, which makes the arms look very long and further emphasis their skinniness.

When people are free to do as they please; they usually imitate each other.
    Jigokusabre's sketchbook
    Jigokusabre's Current projectů PLEASE COMMENT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My complaints about the second drawing...
    I find that her neck is an awkward shape. I'd make it not so skinny and tall, and make it gradually smooth into her shoulders. It seems right now like it's a rigid cylinder with no connection to her body.
    That should be a really esay fix, though.

Also, her left hand seems as if it's made of rubber. I'd dig up a reference photo of that hand pose (or if you can't find one, take your own picture or have someone pose for you). I think if you got a reference for the hands they'd seem a bit less squiggly.

Good job otherwise, though. And keep at it! Proportions are kind of hard to get right sometimes.

My Website :3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.