shitty art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shitty art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

shitty art

sorry people if this topic is not in the right place. feel free to remove or replace it somewere else if you must.

okay..i got tears in my eyes when i saw this on tv today ( and it wasn't of joy). there is this dutch artist who is going to hold an exhibition soon in amsterdam. his art is about shit...in this exhibition he shows shit of himself, his kids, his wife and other family members. puts them in gelly and presents them as food. he even has a movie of himself eating shit ( no joke )

not exacly trying to make you guys happy with this but what do you think of this art stuff? you see it a lot nowadays...and while i was busy making nice detailed pictures, the teachers at art school hated my stuff while they really praised things like this...

ow yeah...and he also asks about 12000 euro for some of his poop food....

is this really what people like nowadays? me? i hate it. while people like me and most other people on this forum are working their asses of to make nice pretty, quality art, that is pleasant to look at, some guy put some shit on a plate and gets rich with it....seriously....

ow yeah...and here are some pictures of his..."art" so you guys know what i am talking about....look at it at your own risk.
    http://www.segall.nl/taartpuntje.jpg
    http://www.segall.nl/familiesoep.jpg
    http://www.segall.nl/gevela.jpg

so...what are you toughts on modern arts like these nowadays? most of them want to shock people and make them aware of things...but is it really neccessary to do it like this?

Last edited by bluemonika; March 6th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Without talking about whatever artistic value this has... those pictures of it are disgusting, especially when you mentioned that he had eaten some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes...they are disgusting. the point that i am trying to make here is...how do you guys feel that a person actually receives a large sum of money to do something like this? ( or subsidy)

in my opinion it is kinda disturbing....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People like that need to be put on a continent and cut off from the rest of the world.
    Like Australia.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man , I've heard and seen pictures of a lot of "art performance" that looks just like freak shows to me but this is too freaky even for freak shows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I would cut his balls off and stuff them into his mouth for trying to pollute our culture with this shit.

Drinking since 1988

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats like circus art. o.0 I was going to say I've heard of worse forms of "art", but then I thought about it and I cant say that I have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As long as people pay for it, and give him attention, there will continue to be more shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are always people who can't enjoy anything unless it's something no one else likes. It's just an extreme form of those kids who won't listen any band that becomes mainstream. Unfortunately if you complain about how disgusting eating feces is you only validate it in their minds.

I guess it's also possible that there are people who are genuinely into this sort of thing, but I don't think there are enough of them to start their own art show... right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Eat shit and die."
    Well, he's halfway there, hehe.

It's been done before (Manzoni). Still, it's disgusting.
    Name:  20070226manzoni.jpg
Views: 2511
Size:  44.1 KB

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 1,706 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    People like that need to be put on a continent and cut off from the rest of the world.
    They actually should be buried... in continent.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is this really what people like nowadays?
    No, if people liked that he'd probably not be doing it. He wants to shock and draw some attention.
    The art people however, (galerists, curators, critics - those who aren't us common folks) are proficient at using Artspeak and can transfer everything into art, including the shittiest shit. Art used to be judged by the broader masses, by people like us, and that's different nowadays.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its not really art, this is shit in the literal and artistical sence of the word. I say let ignorant people buy it, (and eat it). Because when all is said and done, its just shit. I have come to expect this of people.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I say we flush the whole mess and forget about it...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it's aggravating to hear about someone getting paid good money for stuff like this. After fuming a bit though, I figure it's our job to shrug it off and keep working hard and doing what we do best. Not caring is probably the most telling response to an "artist" like this.

Funny how much it has been done before (GG Allen anyone?) and yet still continues to pull an audience that apparently doesn't realize the shock isn't even original.

I take some solace in knowing that it's even tough for these guys to break in to the field... I mean a handful of shit-flingers make a few bucks as "artists" vs the vast masses that remain drooling street lunatics.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to make a counter art gallery across the street with toilets...or maybe daisies in the gelatin?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clearly he is a no talent hack... who has display art like that,
    sad really... I flush masterpieces down the toilet on a daily basis...

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this kind of thing was big in the 80s its soooooo 1986
    this kind of thing made a big splash more than 2 decades ago (pun intended)

he's a bit late to the poop party, but take heart, the art world is post-poop

i wonder if he pegs his levi's too, while dancing to SNAP
    hmmm. say hi to Maplethorpe and Longo for me

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingshaj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one of those so called 'shock' value art like the 'Jihad' on a Dutch flag or the cat/dog transformer made out of real animals. I sometimes chat around with people that followed abstract artclasses and who are disgusted by it and whe're joking that you have to put a canvas on the floor, put your pants down and to make the biggest crap on it and to fingerpaint that turd to create a heavily smelly master piece. This is too close to be true of what is said, sadly... I agree that the most sad part is, that people even invest in crap like this. Oh well, let's move on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, and I thought Chasethehedgehog's artwork was complete shit.....

But seriously, let the people who think this is art continue to be. They will be laughed at by the other people, and prolly kill themselves when they figured out they spent a shitload of money on a literal shitload.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I hate the art world these days. I am glad I am hopefully going to focus on the commercial side of art.

This shit exhibition is a good thing, it is showing what crap the curators are allowing these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another dutch artist, Katinka Simonse (aka Tinkebell), strangled and skinned her cat and turned it into a purse. Supposedly it was social commentary on the hypocrisy of people, most of whom eat meat, raising such a ruckus about her killing her pet when thousands of animals get killed every day in the bio-industry.

Another one of her projects 'Save the males' dealt with a similar theme, she had a small booth where she was trying to sell baby chickens, there were only 9 buyers or so. Then as part of her performance, she was going to throw the ones that didn't get bought (i.e 'saved') into a shredder, because that would eventually happen to them anyway. Situation got really hostile, and the police had to be called to the scene. Not sure what happened afterwards to the chickens. http://www.tinkebell.com/savethemales.html

On another slightly related noted, Jordan McKenzie once made a series of sperm 'paintings' (with bits of charcoal added).

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MidgardSerpent; March 8th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I realize that what the bio-industry and the commercial industry in general is doing; but that does not mean these people need to do this savagery just to make people aware of the obvious. It is also the eye of the opinionated that believes that a certain thing is right or wrong; what gives these people the right to force us to believe that a thing is right or wrong?

To me these people are present day Hippies that just campaign against anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would it also be considered art if I slowly suffocated all these artists as a sort of protest against the large number of killings that occurs in other parts of the world that humans don't care about?

Not to mention a service to humanity.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A modern art exhibition of pure shit?
    Some people are praising and paying large sums of money for shit?
    uhm, is weird, but that sounds awfully familiar...

Is disgusting... but gotta admit, the irony of it is lovely.
    As far as i concern, if someone puts shit on a plate and makes money out of it, good for him, lucky bastard!, if some elitist moron buys it, fuck it, is his money.
    Im not the one paying for shit anyway, other people are free to do whatever they please.
    Besides annoying the hell out of me i dont see a specific way it affects my personal life, as long it stays that way, i wont give a "Segall" about it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Would it also be considered art if I slowly suffocated all these artists as a sort of protest against the large number of killings that occurs in other parts of the world that humans don't care about?

Not to mention a service to humanity.
    Ill pay you $5 whole dollars for the flesh of the cat killing bitch! She probably aint worth much more then that.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might sound radical but I feel that shit like this can go down thanks to the people who are actually purchasing the art. It's an insult to artists of integrity everywhere that this gets financed. Art is supposed to be a reflection of the culture and humanity we live in, an expression of our times. What does it say that someone is bankrolling off of art that is literally pure shit? Either our society sucks, or someone wants us to feel that way about ourselves. Whether it is a real debasement or manufactured I guess the end result is the same, it's sad and disgusting.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Frank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Different people have different opinions on what is or is not art. There are too many to count and each one is different. One man's art is another man's garbage. There's a house where I live, that's been painted over and done up with found-art. Some people consider it a pretty bit of trash, some consider it excellent artwork. Hell, I know plenty of people who consider everything on this site to be trash.

I think that once you start trying to tell some artists that what they create isn't art, you start down a slippery-slope very similar to the slippery-slope that happens when you start censoring people. Once you start limiting some artists, you risk the ability to make art for everyone.

Now, let's all play nicely here.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Beonarri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Far be it for me to declare what is or isn't art.

This stuff isn't quite to my taste, however!

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno dude -- I just can't imagine winning those shits jars at auction -- then owning those jars of shit, putting them out on the library shelf as works of art -- so you can impress your friends when they come by.

I guess what I'm saying is that art is art, and if this guy wants to eat his own shit, or put it in a jar and call it "art" -- then that's fine, whatever.

But who's gonna pay $12000 euros for that?? Who looks at buying jars of shit as an artistic investment? How many hungry people could you feed for 12000 euros?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1