Breaking Bad Habits
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Breaking Bad Habits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Breaking Bad Habits

OK I'm starting to reach my limit with my bad habits and I want to know how to break them. At the moment no matter what I draw I deem it rubbish and rub it out or rip the page out of my SB (its like half the size now).

I really don't want to give up drawing because of something this stupid so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas in how to break this cycle.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you be a bit more specific about what your bad habits are?

Do you mean, your trapped in a comfort zone (Drawing the same thing too often)? Or relying on a crutch you want to break away from (Using photographs when you really want to do life drawing)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The worst habit you should be trying to break right now is ripping pages out of your sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm too self critical is my problem. Three lines in and it's crap which generally leads to frustrations and ripping of pages

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    See what you're doing?
    Don't.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to know what your problem is; Thats the first step, and an important one at that. Now you just have to resist the need to rip off the pages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a normal trait for most artists to do that. Even I have the urge to delete every model and painting on my PC and redo them all because I think they suck. The best thing you can do is bring it here, put it on the sketchbook or critique center part of the forum, and have people critique the hell out of it to let you know what exactly is wrong.

Also, just take a break from what your doing, stand back, try something new, beat the fuck out of something. Just get the frustration of that piece out.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're being a perfectionist. Every artist is at some point (while some continue to be that way for the rest of their lives). I say take it easy, don't place too much expectations on yourself. Failing isn't something to be ashamed about, it's part of the learning experience. Keep those bad sketches if that's what you think of them, but imagine yourself in a couple of years from now looking back at them. It'll give you a great sense of achievement seeing how far you've gone, which ironically will push you to go even further. Everyone gets better in time, just gotta have patience.

Now post those sketches, and you can bet there will be people who would be willing to help point out what you're doing wrong. In the process you just might find that answer to eliminate your habit of ripping pages and such.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 1