Sketchbook: some_guy improves slowly over time

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: some_guy improves slowly over time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some_guy improves slowly over time

I drew my first apple in the bumskee thread in the Photoshop forum about a month ago, and I'm suddenly more excited about learning to draw and paint than I've ever been before.

Don't get me wrong. You know, I liked to draw as a kid, and my art teacher in 7th grade told me I had talent - the usual shit - but I've never really taken it further than that. I'm still a total art noob.

But I've decided to change that, so wish me luck.

Below are a few things. On the left is my first still-life apple ever. I didn't even put that one in the apple thread because I was too embarrassed about it. Made January 29th.

Second is my latest apple. Made March 4th. Visible improvement. I love visible improvement.

Last is a drawing I did from reference a few hours ago. Incidently, it's also my first painting of a human in PS. I started to colour it and realised that I'm awful at colouring people - especially hair - so I stopped. But I'll do another one tomorrow and it should be better.

Critique is welcome and encouraged.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've avoided hands for so long that, like, my brain has blocked them out completely. I felt like a 6 year old doing these hand studies. I had to stop 15 minutes in so I could study what a finger actually looks like.

After that I had to relax, so I went back to faces. Did another one from reference, trying to pay attention to values this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love that girls facial expression!
    nice stuff so far.
    the only thing i see is the finger(painted version) has like a bent in the top. or there isn't enough "meat" on the top of the finger. i hope you know what i mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those apples look really nice, and I especially like the latest portrait. Like xxzxczx said, it seems that with the fingernail having such a short tip, it should have a bit more skin on the top side.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start. good apple studies and the latest face study is pretty sweet, just push your darks/lights a bit more to help bring out more contrast so they don't appear so flat. keep it up.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xxzxczx_me, thanks. I know what you mean about the finger, but it all looks wrong to me now anyway.

Mosthorribleyet, glad you liked the apples. I'm was so happy when they started to look real. And yeah, the finger kind of sucks when I look at it now, but thanks for the tips anyway.

thesadpencil, I wish I checked on the thread earlier, because you're definitely right about the contrast. It's seriously lacking. So I've taken note of that. Check back for improvement.

Anyway, I didn't have much time today, so I just did a few more hand studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been neglecting this over the past few days, so I decided to fit in a quick value study before I go to bed. Portrait drawn from reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow very nicely done, im a total noob so ill just give you some compliments instead of critiq I really like your hands, very nice, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't have any crit i just wanted to give some encouragement. keep it up with the small digital paintings! i try to do one every day and it's always a little challenge everyday. so i hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waw that apple looks very real. ^^ anyways, i love the portraits with the old guys. maybe i'll do some old guy next time.. hehe keep it up!! XD

.................................................. .........
    there's only one sun and it travels the world everyday.
    - "there's only one sun" by wong kar wai

.................................................. .........

m y s k e t c h b o o k

m y g a l l e r y

m y b l o g

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies!
    They are great. Try also to put more detail in them!
    Challenging yourself will help improve your knowledge!

Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last value study looks pretty nice, maybe try some square opacitiy sensitive brushes?

As for your hands, i think your consistently drawing your fingers a little short.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice value studies really good. And good work with the digital paintings am sure thier going to turn out great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About your hand studies-- you commented that you had to stop to study your own finger fifteen minutes into your drawing session. Stopping to study what you're drawing isn't something negative at all. You should be looking more at your subject than the paper in front of you when drawing from life. Constantly refer to the object and use negative space and angles of invisible lines that run through the composition to compare the drawing to the real thing. Ignore what you know about anatomy and simply draw what's in front of you. You'll be amazed at the difference in your drawings once you cast away any preconceived notions of what you think a finger looks like before you draw it.

Sorry that my blurb above is so long. It's just that realizing the above has helped me improve massively in these past three years in terms of life drawing. I hope you try it out and enjoy my advice. Best of luck to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xerotin, eskanto, iamgale and lilnebo, thanks so much for the encouragement. I couldn't believe that so many people had been looking at my stuff when I checked it today. It makes me feel guilty for not drawing more, and that's a good thing.

Hive_minD, thanks for the kind words. Hopefully more detail starts to emerge when I build a more solid foundation. Check back in a few months time, heh.

SmartKyle, thanks for the brush advice. I'll try that out. And what you said about the fingers - at first I was like 'I'm pretty sure they're the right length' - but then I held my hand up to the screen, and, yeah, all the ones I've drawn so far have been shorter than my actual fingers, which is weird, so thanks for pointing that out.

Yosul_Gongju, that sounds like the advice I've been giving to other people lately. I only recently started looking at things in terms of shape, negative space and relativity to imaginary lines, like you said. So, yeah, I'm working on it. It's just taking some time to jump over the hurdles my brain has built for itself. I'm not sure if it's normal to have such a hard time putting this stuff into practice - like I said, I've been telling people to do this lately myself - I guess I just need more practice. I drew another hand just now paying more attention to your advice. Looks much better than my first hand attempts. Thanks!

---

Now, OK, I'm at the point where I would usually give up working on something. I routinely tell myself I'm going to start practicing something and get better, and then a couple of weeks afterwards I just forget about it altogether. I don't want that to happen this time.

I had a spare hour and I decided to do another face painting, but as I was sketching out the guy's head from photo ref (top left in the picture below) I thought of something someone else said on here: that you should practice both drawing from reference and drawing from imagination equally, otherwise you'll stifle your progress. So I just went off and started drawing heads from my mind.

I was surprised that I actually had a fairly decent idea of how to put a head together. I've been afraid of drawing from my mind lately because those pictures never turn out as good as what I draw from reference. I'll make sure to keep practicing both of these things from now on.

Oh, and, like I mentioned earlier, I threw in another hand. I think the fingers are closer to the right size, this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Total art noob", is it? Geez, off to a bloody good start then, I'd say -- what with your fine-lookin' apples and snazzy grayscale portraits

More studies, more drawing from life... and just more drawing Go for it!

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AmontilladoAg, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Thanks for the comment mate. I guess I'm not a complete noob, but I still feel like I'm fluking it with a lot of my drawings. I don't have a great understanding of, well, anything yet. I just make guesses about what to do most of the time.

I think I'll aim to draw something every day, even if it's just a little page of faces like one I knocked out below. Two of the faces are from reference, the rest of them are not. I swear I learn something new every time I draw. It's a great feeling. I'll probably look back on these sketches and laugh or something next year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few quick profiles today. Trying to develop different kinds of faces. I know I messed up the old guy's wrinkles, but I was just trying to push some boundaries and exercise my brain a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided today that I've been avoiding figures for too long. Grabbed Loomis's figure drawing book and turned straight to the proportions page. I plan to read what I skipped, I just needed to draw something.

Three attempts at constructing a proportional human, a copy of a side-on figure out of the book, a drawing from photo ref, and some generic faces because I was getting frustrated about not knowing anything.

I really need to learn how arms and legs work. If I'm not drawing from reference, then how I put them together is just a complete guess. Actually, that goes for almost all of human anatomy for me at the moment.

Last edited by some_guy; March 26th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These Loomis books are pretty handy. Looked at the one about drawing heads just now. Looking at some of my other sketches, I can already tell I've screwed up all the bones and shit.

I can see these skills coming in handy once I get them down a bit better.

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im really enjoying this. your greyscale painting was awesome. can we see more of those

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.