Art Commission Discussion and Questions
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art Commission Discussion and Questions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Commission Discussion and Questions

So I'm not even sure I'm making a thread in the right area or not but I'm going to take a stab here.

Anyway I just recently got commissioned to do a Logo design. The logo design will be featured on this guys website, game album, posters, and his business cards.

What would be a good price for something like that? This is the first time I ever got something so big. I was thinking about $300?

What are your guy's experiences with commissions like this? Discuss~

Again I apologize if I made this thread in the wrong area.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would guess this would be the right section, but if not, oh well, I can still give my advice. I charge about that much for my weapons, so I think a logo design for all those things would run about the same price. I would charge maybe 350 for he will most likely want a large version for banners, covers, etc...and a small one thats not blurred up for his cards and such.

But in my experience, I barter alot. I give them my estimate on what I would charge for it, all depending on detail, amount of angles and views, any extras with it, then the other person would come back with me, then I would try and do a middle ground with them for it. For example, I had a commission for a magic staff a while back with 2 swords that come out when pulled apart and many energy based weapons around the tips, and then about 6 different views on the weapon itself. Considering all of that, I did what i did above, and made about $400 on it.

So yeah, I dont think $300 is to much to ask considering all the items he will be using it on.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, the correct forum is the Employment Discussion subforum of Job Listings and Employers.

You need to take into account who you are doing this for and how big their business is. Also, most people who commission logos tend to want all rights on them, and that makes things more expensive unless you negotiate licensing instead. What if his business goes big? Your art may be the face of that with no additional compensation. I suggest picking up the GAG Handbook for more in-depth info on graphic design practices (as well as price surveys and base contract/invoice/licensing forms).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, whos the asshole who used the post of mine on his blog: http://conceptcentral.blogspot.com/

I dont find it very fair to instantly jump around talking shit about someone when you dont even know the person, what he does, or how he does art. Not everyone is going to work free, and if you let yourself work for free, then you need to step back and look at what your doing. If its for fun or a hobby, awesome, keep up the good work. But if your doing something professional, then yeah, im sure most people here will charge more then $20 for a full character, or free for a weapon, especially if its going out to the public, going for multiple uses like the logo this thread is about, or even for a new magazine like im doing.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, here's how it works in quebec according to "the repertoir" (our illustrator's association) wich should be consistant with how the rest of the world works;

50$ the hour, plus the contract should stipulate the number of prints and places where your drawing/logo will be placed and WHERE they will be distributed, if he wants to re-print and/or go world wide, he should be paying a royalty, also if he's going to be doing any editing to the logo, it should be written down in your contract that you're the one to be contracted for that, unless you don't mind letting go of that.

The fact he commissions you does not intitle him to the orriginal piece, but you may give it to him throught the contract, unless stated otherwise, you also have the copyrights of the logo (which is why he should come to you each time he wants to re-print) you can sell those at your discretion although it has never been advised (cause you might end up like nike's logo designer and get 50$ for a now worth millions logo lol)

So your price should really depend on the number of prints and distribution + your time. For the salary, I just gave you the prices over here, it ranges from 50$ to 75$, but if you live in the US or europe, you should be getting something more interresting.

and well, hello zoroko! nice to see you here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on that the package has to offer . I've got fore one logo ... coming under the formats .jpeg .psd .ai .tif .pdf abount 100$ , the price rises depending on the amount of logos 3 logos 170 , 5 logos 250 and so on. After all you make your own price . If the logo is for a company like nike something of the sort , you could try to get them to sigh a contract with you and recive i dont know 1-2% of the profits of the products going under that logo or poster , product image etc. but that's very hard to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty inexperienced here, but my two cents is that not only will it depend upon the level of detail and views, as Digital_Blacksmith mentioned, but also your own experience -- that being judged I suppose by your portfolio and past work experience.

One thing some clients may not realize when confronted with a bill of $200+ for what they think a simple logo is that you're probably giving up the copyright except for display purposes in your own portfolio. I believe logo work is one of those acceptable work for hire scenarios since they'll want to plaster it everywhere and control what they put it on. Based on my limited experience, too many expect dA pricetags, i.e. "But I got a commission on dA for $20!!!??"

One way to approach the price I've been told is to estimate how long it'd take you then calculate the hourly rate.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.