Do Oil Painting Fumes come from the paint or from the solvent?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do Oil Painting Fumes come from the paint or from the solvent?

I do know that oil painting in a room without good ventilation is bad. Very bad. What I don't know is why. Is it the actual paint? The paint doesn't seem to have much of an odor. I know that fumes can be odorless, but when I thought about it it did seem that the problem was more likely Turpentine. So is Turpentine the culprit? What about Liquin?

It's crunch time on my midterm painting and I was wondering if I could paint in my apartment with questionable ventilation if I just didn't open up and use my Turpenoid or my Liquin and just used plain old paint. And then I could wash my brushes in a container outside.

Oh and while I'm on the subject of toxicity and paints, is acrylic paint toxic at all? I know the fumes are okay to use in my apt. but would it be a stupid move to do something like eat a sandwich while painting with acrylic? I know food plus oil paint equals baaaad.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's generally the solvents in any paint that are toxic in the sense you mean. Anything that evaporates. This is usually the turps, etc., that you use, and to a smaller degree, the solvents (similar chemicals) in the paint itself. The degree of danger is, in my opinion, much overrated if you use some moderate ventilation and care. The biggest problem pops up from whiners complaining about the smell, which is, again, mostly from the solvents. There are people here who will obviously disagree with me, but what it boils down to is just how sensitive are you to these chemicals?

A bigger danger is the heavy metals used as pigments. Ingestion and heavy skin absorption could definitely be dangerous because the effects are cumulative.

Acrylics are much less of a problem solvent-wise--it's water--but the same problem exists with heavy metal pigments.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MyOrangeHat View Post
    What I don't know is why. Is it the actual paint? The paint doesn't seem to have much of an odor..
    It's not the paint, it's the thinners, mediums and varnishes that most people use with the paint.
    I was wondering if I could paint in my apartment with questionable ventilation if I just didn't open up and use my Turpenoid or my Liquin and just used plain old paint. And then I could wash my brushes in a container outside.
    That should be fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beware "odorless" turps.... they are still toxic...they just sneak up on you.
    you can use gin . as long as you remember not to drink it...

(bad girl stop drinking the thinner)

crx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Members who have read this thread: 1