Help. need some direction.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help. need some direction.

Hey! so im new-ish to painter, got most of the shortcuts down, not that that matters too much...

Just wondering. i used to be using photoshop and the pressure sensitivity in PS was great, ive noticed though that its alot different in painter, its awesome about the pen tilt function but i need to know about the brushes and whatnot.

so heres my questions.

1. What is the best brush to sketch with, i dont want huge black lines i want just small little sketch marks that arent over powering, it seems that every time i sketch in painter it turns out like this, a big black sketch that is too overpowering. Im a mac user, and ive changed my wacoms setting to firmest and still it perserveres and is hard.

Tell me what i should be using if i just want to sketch!

and

2. what are good brushes to overall color / paint with?

and lastly

3. Which brushes do you guys use?!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have such a general question, it's really hard to answer. OK, here's a really general starter. Start your canvas fairly large, at least 1500 by 1500 pixels. It doesn't matter what the per inch, or centimeter count is or anything else. Your real estate is going to be in pixels, get used to it. Get your 2B pencil, and use a dark grey brown as your color. Set grain something like 12 to 15 percent and go at it. Later on, tone your paper to something like the background on this site, maybe a little darker and greyed. Now you can go over your sketch and get highlights with a chalk or conti crayon.

Master this and then work through different brushes, Remember to keep your cavas a fairly decent size. Too small doesn't really do your brushes any good as far as showing what the strokes will really do in a finished work. Take your time and give your brushes a fair chance, you'll eventually find the ones you really like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply, i realise that it was a fairly general question, but thanks very much for the response, ive had a play around and believe it or not i have 2 more questions!

1. how do i tone the paper

2. how do i make the brush more pressure sensitive?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolff View Post
    Thanks for the reply, i realise that it was a fairly general question, but thanks very much for the response, ive had a play around and believe it or not i have 2 more questions!

1. how do i tone the paper

2. how do i make the brush more pressure sensitive?

Well if you mean how to make paper texture come through, or do you mean how to create paper?

One of the things is to look at what each brush does and how it responds to paper grain.

http://apps.corel.com/painterx/us/es...hes_guide.html This has a nice list of the brushes in Painter.

As far as Brush pressure sensitivity, you want to got Brush Tracking in Preferences.

Here's a tutorial off Corel's site explaining Brush Tracking:
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1172175832666

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you! both of those links helped alot i mean toning the paper as in changing its color

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi graywolff,

If you mean, by Paper color, the base color chosen when you opened the new Canvas:

1. Choose the new color.

2. In the Canvas menu, click Set Paper Color.

3. If you want the entire Canvas color changed, use Select > All ( or use Ctrl+A [Windows] or Command+A [Mac] ) then click the Backspace key ( or use Ctrl+X [Windows] or Command+X [Mac] ).

4. If you only want a small area of the new Paper color to be revealed, either erase with the Eraser tool or select the area and click the Backspace key ( or use Ctrl+X [Windows] or Command+X [Mac] ).

If you want to add a new color on top of the base Paper color:

1. Choose the new color.

2. If you want to only fill a specific area, make a selection of that area.

3. Use Effects > Fill ( or use Ctrl+F [Windows] or Command+F [Mac] ) Using: Current Color.

To learn more about the Canvas > Set Paper Color command and two ways to erase back to the base Paper color read my tutorial published in the January 2007 issue of The Painter Canvas newsletter:

The Set Paper Color command, Eraser's Eraser, and the new Corel® Painter™ IX.5 Eraser tool

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i find the soft charcoal brush is great for sketching, as its got a slightly more gritier feel than the actual pencil brushes, if anything it resembles a a more natural b or 2b pencil . set your colour as a grey colour, but at around 70% black(pure black is to unatural) oppacity set to 60-70%.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! thanks for these guys, the soft charcoal brush is awesome for sketching and also thanks for the info Jin, that was exactly what i was looking for

Members who have read this thread: 2