Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    What kind of paper is in that magic sketchbook of yours? is it watercolor paper or just a heavy weight paper, but not specificly for watercolor. Also I see that your using a slanted desk. I read somthing about using gravity to help with making the color / water move. Do you find this true or not worry about it. Sorry to keep picking your brain, but your style is really clean and somthing to work towards. Cheers!
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Your pissed-off girl looks awesome! I like it a lot. I love how you handle the inks, sometimes reminds me a bit of Paul Pope.
    And your cat is really cool too btw!

Thanks
    this stuff is inspirational....i think i might start water colour painting, need to buy some
    amazing keep posting

Thanks
    I love your sketchbook! Lots of yummy goodness here. I like your comic book pages. I hope you're getting some work out of it. I agree with entdroid, I'm getting a Paul Pope vibe from your inks too. The color on the mud story is a little heavy handed tho, since it obscures the gorgeous ink work.

If you haven't already, you should send your stuff to Vertigo.

Thanks
    humanNature6115: Thanks!
    MonkeYoakum: I just use a regular sketch book. The paper is not particularly heavy. The pages get all crinkly and stuff but I kind of like that. I don't really worry about the slant of my desk. I like to let the paint drip and flow and do what ever it wants. I often spin the picture around to get different lines and angles and stuff so the paint doesn't always run toward the bottom of the page. And keep asking me questions; I have taken a real intuitive approach to learning how to use water color and your questions make me actually think about what I'm doing.
    entdroid: Thanks! I really like Paul Pope. He's really inspired me to try to keep my inking loose and energetic.
    grundybug: Thanks!
    chrisc: Thanks! I think you have a point about my colors. I was trying to create a contrast between the open sky and the dark mud but I agree that some thing was kind of lost. I'm working hard to get my shit together for the San Diego Comic Con. Hopefully I'll be able to show my stuff to some one at Vertigo.

I don't have a lot to show today but here is a sheet I did yesterday and today. These are warm-ups before I start inking the real deal. Both of these are inspired from drawings in a Manga book I've been looking at.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    This cat looks like your "current supervisor". : )
    I really like your line quality, I can't wait colors for those sketches!
    Cheers!
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Ive already decided to try water colours on the weekend because you make it look soo easy. Do you ever cut loose like gerald scarfe because you always maintain good structure to your forms.

EDIT: just looked on scarfe's website and it seems as if he did the concepts for Disneys - Hercules. V weird, I thought he was a saterical and political cat.

Thanks

Thanks
    Clochette: Thanks! I finally went out and bought a nice brush for inking ($25 or about 2 Euros). I always thought expensive sable brushes were a rip off but I was completely wrong! The Windsor Newton Series 7 brush I bought is about a million time better than any other brush I have ever used for inking. I think it has actually improved my inking.

UCT: Gerald Scarfe is awesome. I had seen his stuff before but I never knew his name. He's good but When I "cut loose" it's usually more of a Harvey Kurtzman kind of cutting loose.

John Mahoney: Thanks!

Here are some pages from the project I am currently working on. I haven't cleaned these up yet (still have to erase the pencil lines and stuff). But I really like seeing comic pages like this from other artists so I thought I would share mine like that this time.

When these are done, I'll scan them in to the computer, clean them up, add tone and do the lettering.

Thanks
    great stuff! really like the ink work

cheers

Thanks
    More sweet as comics, inks and water colours dude. I have been meaning to have a crack at inking but for some reason its incredibly hard to find any fountain pens. I noticed that allot of professional comic artists use the "Kuretake Brush Pen", because its awesome. I have no idea were to buy one. Anyway you have gone into detail about your water colouring (awesome btw) but it would be sweet as if you could show us what tools and inking methods you use, so I know what to look for on my next shopping spree to the art shop. Keep posting your comics their a hit in my book.
    This account is dead but my sketchbook holds in it my humble beginnings
    SKETCHBOOK NEW SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Love your line work, your ink style is beautiful.
    These are impressive, I cant wait to see them cleaned up.

Thanks
    wonderful fluid work, i like it very much! id love to be able to do the same!

Thanks
    krossj: Thanks!

remmy: In the last few months I feel like my inking has really gotten better. Mostly just because I started working on it almost every night. The tools that I use are a brush and some ink. That's it. The brush that I'm into right now is the Windsor & Newton Series 7 size 3 (Maybe size 2). The ink that I'm digging is the Speed Ball Super Black India Ink (you can buy it by the quart!!!). My favorite ink in the world is brand called Pro Black. It's almost gooey it's so thick and black. But It doesn't scan to well because it's also shiny. Like all art - the big secret is to relax and have fun with it. I know that if I worry about how good a picture is going to turn out, it's going to turn out like shit. But if I just go with it and enjoy the process, it'll probably be ok. I think this is particularly true for the way I ink.

Ash888: Thanks!

Gerbil Fetus: Thanks!

Thanks
    Wonderful sketchbook. One of my new favorites. The watercolors are beautiful.
    Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast