Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Student Portfolio- design help?

Thanks

Student Portfolio- design help?

So i'm graduating at the end of April, and i need to start getting things done for my portfolio. I'm still working on drawing animals, aliens and men so that my stuff isn't all girls, LOL. I posted here last year, and the jump between my stuff is a huge difference. I'd love to have crits on style, designs, shape and anything else you can think of. Most of these aren't final designs, or final sketches, so i'm looking for more general crits than image crits, unless things look finished. Thanks a bunch!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Twoplus is offline Grasshopper...or possibly mole cricket.
    Thanks
    Your style is very cute - I like it! The only critique I have is the feet - I'm sure it's a style choice, but sometimes they just look too small...like you didn't want them to exist.

Thanks
    I have to disagree with Twoplus, the feet are obviously a stylistic choice. Personally I think it adds to exaggeration of your figures.

I see that you have lots of lovely character design, but do you have any environment drawings that you plan to add?

Thanks
    wow, lot of pics pld:
    I really like your style. don't know why but while looking at your work I had to think about my summer in paris last year
    I love the pink-tiger, he looks like an old man living in my neighbourhood
    great job

Thanks
    i positively ADORE your line of work! sorta reminds me of Kim Possible (thats a rly gd thing in my book).
    i noticed some things that looked off to me so here goes:

i would make the shield Maiden's legs a bit longer, her torso seems too long for her legs, even tho its a stylistic choice...
    the upper lip of "bringing sexy back" xD is a bit too black, and connects her cheekbones in a mustache-awkward way.
    on the girl in the 6th sketch from the bottom (folded arms, angry look girl) the left leg (our left) is curved in the wrong direction; the red line we still see is actually more correct than the shape you chose; it looks like her calf is on backwards... am i making any sense to you? excuse my english lol
    your Geisha kicks my ass. i love it!

thats basically all i can see "wrong" right now, which says a lot: minor tweaking in wt id say is overall a real good job! good luck with your job search and congrats on graduating!

Thanks
    I love your style! My favorite is definitely bringing sexy back!

Thanks
    Think about the expressions in your characters. Most of them have an apathic, blank stare or have a negative, depressive touch. Try using your skill (cause you're good at this) and draw them having different expressions, try hungry apes, tired cats, angry kids, zombies in love, pleased pandas.. and so on. It seems you've tried this but I think you can do it better.

Also think about extreme gestures and poses, even though that bit is probably more covered. Even though it might not be the most important when applying, but have you done anything animated before?

I wish you all of luck and I hope you'll post the full portfolio.

.cheers
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    Thanks so much!!!

@Twoplus: It is a stylistic choice i guess, i wasn't aware of just how much i DO do it until you pointed it out.

@Sakari: Yes i do, but it is a lot weaker than my design, i think. I'm still stuck on making things work in perspective, rather than DESIGNING something.
    Attached is a painting i am working on... any comments on the values would be immensely appreciated.

@Jakob: That's a great thing to think of! I'd love to go to Paris in the future, but i need to work for awhile before that is possible.
    The tiger does look like a characature, doesn't he? I have trouble drawing animals, so it appears that he has a human face, unfortunately.

@Petite: You are SO right about the sexy back image. I remember doing that and bemoaning the fact that she looked like she had a mustache. I might be able to tweak it in photoshop as i don't want to redraw it and lose the spontanaety of the linework. And the legs on that image are totally wonky. I'm not using her for my portfolio but i will definitely watch myself when drawing legs.

@Alicat08: Thanks, me too! I like to use it to horrify my classmates by making it appear around the class.

@MorteM: Oh, i love those ideas! I am going to draw those right now (great exercise, thank you!) Its funny, i love to draw expressions but when i'm designing anything the characters are A) usually looking to the left (which is weird) or angry/blank. Its definitely something that needs to be addressed in regards to my final portfolio so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I'm actually in school for animation. I have a REALLY hard time visualizing movement and posing for some reason, which makes it hard to animate and storyboard for me, but i am trying to work through it because i do not want to give up on animating.

Here's something semi-recent: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4HH1Mh5Fc

Her turn needs some fixing, and so does her faint (has no inbetweens) but i think that it shows different expressions well?

I have some more sketches to post once i get my scanner to work, but here are some half finished pieces and a couple of environment designs. I'm re-doing the house interior, the perspective and the atmosphere is COMPLETELY wrong. I was trying to make a crowded witches' cottage with a loft but it is extremely the wrong design for that (it looks like a VAST room)

I really enjoy reading all your crits! Sorry for the massive amounts of images.

Thanks
    man, i def like your stuff;

abt the greyscale environment; im no pro on buildings but since it seems tome like thelight is coming from behind the buildings (like a sunrise), you shd def add the buildings' shadows, so it doesnt look like they are floating... i dont know if you see it too?

oh and besides looking vast, that cottage looks pretty awsm!

Thanks
    If I had one critique for you it would be to watch your contraposto stances a little more carefully. A number of these characters seem like they're physically off-balance-- like at any moment they are goign to fall over from a lack of coordination. Haha, maybe that was too harsh. Still, not many of them seem properly grounded. For standing characters (or even sitting ones) try drawing a straight line down from their head and make sure that the line is not in front of or behind them, and that any foot which is not having weight put on it it adequately compensated for by the foot that must do all the balancing. It sounds kind of hokey, but the technique really works. If the line (their center of gravity) seems off to you, like if their body and legs are 3 inches to the right of it instead of a great dealer closer, consider revision.

Other than that, I have to say I LOVE your style. It is incredibly interesting, and the way you are able to push each character's features to different extremes keeps me hooked, and really yields info about their character without the necessity of words. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Yeahhhh, I think i'm going to have to do that. The shading was my awful attempt at trying to do atmospheric shading... so less contrast as the picture fades away. But its a failure when it comes to that, so i might as well work with what i have and make it a sunrise. And the buildings definately need some more shadows! (no one wants floating buildings)

And BTW, the bottom picture is just a very very small part of a MASSIVE pan that i am working on. The photographs are all based on Victorian Post-Mortem photography, so everyone in the images died in some horrible way.

One. BY DINOSAUR.

@Radioblur: Oh, that's an awesome thing to use! I love to draw using the "s" curve but i can push it way too much sometimes. The character with the massive hair is sort of clutsy, so in her case i guess deliberately making her look off balance, plus having some poses (for the future) of her falling down and such would work greatly to push that.

And thanks a bunch! I was really worried about my stuff for a long while, I only stopped drawing everything anime-styled two years ago (it was like a very, very hard drug to get rid of... and its still somewhat in my system)

I'm applying for a disney internship (LONG SHOT but i can't NOT apply) and i really really must work on all my stuff so that i have more than an itsy bitsy chance.
    Last edited by kadianimation; March 6th, 2008 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kadianimation View Post
    @MorteM: Oh, i love those ideas! I am going to draw those right now (great exercise, thank you!) Its funny, i love to draw expressions but when i'm designing anything the characters are A) usually looking to the left (which is weird) or angry/blank. Its definitely something that needs to be addressed in regards to my final portfolio so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I'm actually in school for animation. I have a REALLY hard time visualizing movement and posing for some reason, which makes it hard to animate and storyboard for me, but i am trying to work through it because i do not want to give up on animating.

Here's something semi-recent: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4HH1Mh5Fc

Her turn needs some fixing, and so does her faint (has no inbetweens) but i think that it shows different expressions well?

I have some more sketches to post once i get my scanner to work, but here are some half finished pieces and a couple of environment designs. I'm re-doing the house interior, the perspective and the atmosphere is COMPLETELY wrong. I was trying to make a crowded witches' cottage with a loft but it is extremely the wrong design for that (it looks like a VAST room)

I really enjoy reading all your crits! Sorry for the massive amounts of images.
    Ah yes, I re-read your post and I figured out you were in artschool. Just didn't manage to re-write mine.

I understand you want to make neutral poses for characters, it's probably be easier for the person that's supposed to turn them into orthos, 3d or whatever the next step in line will be. Nothing wrong with that, but they'll make up pretty dull illustrations. I think you already knew this but it might be worth pointing out anyways.

I'm not close to your standards, but I really believe visualization of movement will come by practice. I don't know if you've used it but Eadward Muybridge did take alot of wonderful photos that's excellent for references. Try posting your storyboards for critique (you'll have to fix that scanner first).

I'd love to see more of your enviromental works. The witch hut that you're describing as wrong design is actually my favourite in all of your posts. I really enjoy the style of this art and the way you're using line weight to describe the room. If I were to be nitpicky and crit the design, I'd say add more general crap. I wouldn't see a witch as someone who cleaned her hut more than once in a lifetime

I like the movie! Disneyprincess on a plane. From what I've tried that looks like really loads of work..

Don't apologize for the number of pictures. It's just good to see alot of works with lot's of variety! Though if you're working on a portfolio you shouldn't include this many pictures. Keep it simple and include only relevant works (if you're applying for a job as a storyboarder you probably don't have to show your character designs).

.cheers
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 754 Posts
    Loving the work here. A lot of great gestures, emotions, and linework. I really like the painterly feel you've got in some of the more "finished" pieces. The last interior line drawing is really nice; good detail, solid sense of space.

Good luck on getting a job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast