P.O.W.! Challenge 7--Absolute Power Corrupts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 7--Absolute Power Corrupts

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 7--Absolute Power Corrupts

P.O.W.! Challenge 7
    Deadline: March 18, 2008, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: Absolute Power Corrupts

Sorry for the delay in getting this up. For some strange reason, I couldn't get it to post yesterday. This particular theme is a bit less open-ended than our usual fare, but may get some of our bonehead gamers involved... The hard part here will be trying NOT to do a cliché... Interpret any way you wish. Any media. B&W or Color.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want.

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

P.O.W.! Challenge 8 will be posted before Tuesday Midnight, March 11, 2008.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wake up! there are only about 4 more days on this one. Maybe I can do this in oils on Sunday. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man...I was going to skip out on the next few and just focus on the 10th, but that kind of kills the point. I'm in on this one.

Maybe a little more advertising of this might help. I didn't know about POW until I randomly came across the page looking for the LMS page(which yes...I pussed out of in the first round).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am going to need a couple more days for this.
    its only two pages but it is taking longer than expected.
    it involves emus and trains

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything that involves emus and trains I'm willing to be too busy to close the thread on time for.

And just to make sure we have something in, I'm in this one with a quicky piece of shit I started this morning.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright i got something here. I told u i was a lazy Artist when it comes to drawing comic soo here it is. Don't expect professional level work from me here for comic stuff....

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha ha ha ha! That really happened, I heard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so here it is, a bit later than i wanted. i am aiming to have the inking done by tomorrow night, but there are no guarantees on that. I can only try!

@Oni Rem
    congrats on your first pow entry

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadline extended one week (to next Tuesday)

I absolutely refuse to declare a challenge void, especially when someone has turned in something. Thank you, Oni Rem. I am moving the deadline to next Tuesday, the same date as Challenge 8's deadline, so Adam', if you were serious, go for it. Oni', If you want to add or change anything with your entry, feel free to use the extra time, too, if you want. That means we'll have two polls at the same time. I'm also going to start entering these myself, so, bluntly, you're going to be up against a pro from now on. I may not be a concept artist or as pretty a digital painter as most of you, but I was doing comics professionally before most of you were born, so I'm pretty sure I won't be embarrassing myself. I actually haven't been entering because I thought i might scare off some of our newer people, but after seeing what's coming in, I'm happy to say that won't be a problem from what I've seen so far.

If low or no turnout continues, I'll assume everyone who yipped and peeped about doing comics originally was bullshitting through their teeth and close down the Challenge permanently. Maybe we'll make that decision together after Challenge 10 is over.

Those of you who have put in an effort, even once, Thank You for your dedication.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where is your Arttorney

and yeah i think i might go and fix a few things with mine...maybe....maybe not...i unno...

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admit I got nothing right now because of extreme work pressures. I am hoping to do them both by next week. I got a weekend to myself as long as I shut the door to my room so my roommate's cat doesn't jump up into my inky papers and bonk his head on my pencil hand.

I am learning a lot here, admittedly by trial and error, but I think the pressures of meeting the deadline force me to overcome the fear of making those errors. Regrettably, many people are afraid to make their errors publicly and they don't enter. People should view this challenge as an opportunity to do good things on time rather than an opportunity that needs to be avoided. I am glad that you and Adamsimons are not pantywastes (like I admittedly was this week). Where the fork is everybody?

I don't buy that BS about "boohoo! I got some freelance jobs to do." I meet and represent clients in two different states while being both a mentor and a protege and painting large scale works on the side. I still have only missed two of these things. Heed what Ilaekae said. If you value this swimming pool then you better jump into it before Ilaekae drains it.

Last edited by arttorney; March 20th, 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arttorney, you have no reason to explain or apologize, and thanks for your great support on this challenge thing.

Check out the 10 Challenge thread, and you'll see I'm making a few changes that might help us attract more people. I'm gonna try like hell not to let this idea fail... It's just potentially too much fun, and once we get really rolling, it should be a great learning experience.

Oni', that wasn't a hint to change anything. I just made the offer since I changed the deadline after you put your's in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just went over and pimped #7 & #8 to my mentees.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started a panel for this theme, and I've gotten two pages in and there's not really any real connection to the theme. I'll have something done by the due date...just not really as related as it could be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I came up with this idea with adam last sunday
    So heres my version

Last edited by Just Call Me Bruce!; March 23rd, 2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: English!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

forget accuracy, its about feeling!

here it is, my second complete entry and the first that will go to the poll.
    there is a lot here that could be improved on, but it is a step up from the last and i am quite proud of that.

Last edited by adamsimons; March 24th, 2008 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dun get why everyone got emus and train??????????????????????

is this one suppose to be about that??????????? *banging my head on the wall*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in Australia the phrase "Absolute Power Corrupts" relates quite directly to a poem about a period of history when emus worked on trains(it didn't work so well).
    being from Minneapolis i don't blame you for not knowing. back to inking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my entry. I was going to post this last week but then I got into a huge fight with my woman so... yeah. Anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.