Art: The 4 Beasts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The 4 Beasts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The 4 Beasts

Hi these are 4 illustrations for an exhibition coming up called "The Bible and Art" done in watercolour and pen. Their based on this passage from Daniel 7:

1 In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon, Daniel had a dream and visions of his head while on his bed. Then he wrote down the dream, telling the main facts.[a]
    2 Daniel spoke, saying, “I saw in my vision by night, and behold, the four winds of heaven were stirring up the Great Sea. 3 And four great beasts came up from the sea, each different from the other. 4 The first was like a lion, and had eagle’s wings. I watched till its wings were plucked off; and it was lifted up from the earth and made to stand on two feet like a man, and a man’s heart was given to it.
    5 “And suddenly another beast, a second, like a bear. It was raised up on one side, and had three ribs in its mouth between its teeth. And they said thus to it: ‘Arise, devour much flesh!’
    6 “After this I looked, and there was another, like a leopard, which had on its back four wings of a bird. The beast also had four heads, and dominion was given to it.
    7 “After this I saw in the night visions, and behold, a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, exceedingly strong. It had huge iron teeth; it was devouring, breaking in pieces, and trampling the residue with its feet. It was different from all the beasts that were before it, and it had ten horns.
    8 I was considering the horns, and there was another horn, a little one, coming up among them, before whom three of the first horns were plucked out by the roots. And there, in this horn, were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking pompous words.

Hope you like, crit welcome..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the style the linework and its obvious presence in the pictures.

Lazarous is offline Courage, honor, and wisdom. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NICE
    Definitely a style I would love to try out!

More work at Kidawa.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! I don't have much else to add, so I apologize. But it's always nice to see people interpret the more bizarre parts of the bible's readings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are pretty good in terms of color and contrast, although I might have gone with a different color tone in the background for each one to individualize them. Here are a few suggestions I have :

1. Study your references more carefully, especially for the third and fourth one, there are some issues that need to be fixed concerning the animal heads and wings.

2. You have a good ability to control the media of watercolor, but it can be used in different ways for very interesting visual results. Try "bleeding" or letting the paint flow more in certain areas, such as in the water and sky. However, this is a personal choice and a stylistic choice, as there are plenty of watercolorists such as Pinkney who are masters of controlling the media.

3. Keep the background (sky) less saturated than the foreground, it will help the illustrations over all.

nice job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi LSeraph,
    Thanks for the crit, I'm not too happy with the wings on the last ones either really, live and learn eh...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.