Portfolio Advice (Repost)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio Advice (Repost)

Originally posted by Jaymz:
    Hi all.

I thought I'd just post up a quick thread about portfolios. Every year, I do a recruiting trip with LucasArts and I always get asked the same questions: "what should I put in my portfolio?"

Here're some suggestions.

Research the company

The first thing is to research the company you are applying for. Do they do dungeons and dragons games or sci-fi games? If they do D&D stuff, then you should probably include some fantasy concepts. Do they work with more of a realistic style or cartoony? If it's an animation house, they might have specific requirements for portfolios and demo reels.

Tailor your portfolio to the company

I remember this one portfolio I got with a series of nude elf girls drawn in manga style...needless to say, he did not get an interview. I also get very competent 'fine art' portfolios focusing on figure work and landscapes, but have little or no computer experience or have actual concept work. It's a shame to turn some of them away, but our company just doesn't want invest in training them to do the concept or computer work required for them...even if they had the necessary skill base.

Portfolio Content

*Character designs

Pay Attention to detail and costume. Pose is nice, but remebmer that design is most important. Be original. Do not use existing designs from ANYWHERE. Chances are...employers will recognise it. On a design you are particularly proud of, show the design from start to finish. Sketches, finals, colors, close ups, references, details, equipment, etc...

*Creature designs

Same thing as above. This can also include aliens, monsters, etc. Be original. Pay special attention to texture and anatomy. It might be helpful to draw a full aciton pose as well as an orthos of front, side, back of the monster.

*Storyboards

A few pages should be fine. Pay special attention that it's readable and not overly detailed. They should be quick and demonstrate good pacing.

*Machinery

This includes anything from vehicles to engines, to guns, to steam engines, to robots, etc. Show good design as well as good rendering. Some portions might require close ups. Demonstrate that you understand how machines function. Color is not as critical, but still nice.

*Environments

Have a good mix of interior and exterior environments. Show value, mood, space, and composition. Perhaps you can explore a specific idea...from a space station to a castle. It's helpful to demonstrate that you are good with organic and inorganic elements.

*Work from life

Show a few of your BEST work from life. Landscape paintings and/or figure work. This gives recruiters a good idea of where you are in terms of skill and control. Gestures are good too to show that you can draw fast, but a few pages should do. Gestures are more important for animator portfolio than concept art portfolios.

*Personal work

Optional, but if you have other pieces you are very proud of that do not fall in to other catagories. Selfportraits, finished illustrations, published works, etc.

For film, the effects house often hires at least one concept artist for each catagory listed above. For games, we often don't have the luxury to hire so many individuals, so having a variety of work is specially important. That said, the single most important thing to remember is to INCLUDE ONLY YOUR BEST WORK . A single bad piece can ruin how an employer looks at your work. For example, if you are strong in several of the catagories above, but not so good in machinery...then leave them out! They will bring more harm than good!

A final note on portfolios, you don't have to submit anything too fancy. Just a simple book of transparant slips is fine. Most portfolios are a book with around 20-40 pieces of work. Make sure they are nice clean, colored reproductions. And of course, always include your Resume and cover letter.

Best of luck,

-Jaymz

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Jason Manley:
    james..you are amazing.

thanks for putting up the info.

one thing to add from my perspective. I very much enjoy good life drawings. this would be an example of researching the company and the artists there. I cant stand carbon copy disney style gesture portfolios. I like a great page of stuff like that (see justin kaufmans sketch page on his gallery)...I just dont like to see only that...unless its just fantastic stuff like Justins.

personal work is important for me to see....it shows interests...it also shows whether a person is into art for arts sake or for the dough. Sadly I dont do as much personal work as I used to...but I do my best to bring my personal tastes to my work...and that is what I like to see in others portfolios at the very least.

james is right about not including junk to fill the portfolio. you will be judged on your poor pieces. no poor pieces in the portfolio makes you look consistent and strong in your skills.

I actually prefer jpegs sent thru email...and a cd or portfolio to come later. Emailing jpegs can clog peoples boxes quickly so make them compressed and have them look as good as you can. do not send the entire image library in your posession...send three or four images...even on one page...that will get my mouth watering if they are good and I would contact you for more....its like a fresh apple pie...if it smells great then you want to eat it right? if it smells like day old tuna then....well then ya need to keep working on your portfolio.

do not pester the person who you sent your stuff to...a few emails or a call or two is fine...but constant badgering and not listening to the contact will get you pushed out.

and finally....IT IS NOT JUST your portfolio...a good portfolio is a given...being able to hang with the crowd at the company is important too. after all, you will be friends with many of the peeps you work with.

I remember james telling me that when he got the job at lucas...he said "its just as much about being friends as it is having a good portfolio"

i agree.

sorry for the bad grammar...gotta go.

j

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 2