Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #62: Ancient Automaton - Voting

IDW #62 Topic: Ancient Automaton

Deadline for voting: Sunday, March 9

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #62: Ancient Automaton

Last edited by yoitisi; March 2nd, 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: Ethion

Artist: artistpavel

Power loom that works on the ancient source of energy, operated by control panel on the front.

Artist: Trashy

Built deep in the jungles by a elusive and ancient civilization this automation served two purposes. It's first purpose was used to scare off intruders trying to enter the villages. The automation itself was entirely harmless however it's sheer size could easily frighten anyone. It's main and more important purpose was to hold and preserve water supplies. The automation itself was a vital instrument for water to the villagers and could hold vast amounts of it for long periods of time.

Artist: vorp

Artist: tsujni

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some additional notes on this round:

Not much to say actually I'll probably need more coffee before I come up with the next topic though...and a good scroll through the suggestion thread.

Ethion: Wasn't sure if yours was still a WIP, as the arms are a bit underdeveloped and it could use some tightening up in places, but there you go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woop! Okay comments on this round.

Ethion-I'm pretty much with yoitisi on this one. I think you can push it further and render out those arms more. Neat little bot, but it needs alittle more loving.

artistpave- Real solid overall render I think. From a technical stand point it rocks. Hmmm...can't critique that much here. You got my vote.

Me- Well...there could be some questions on how stable it is I think now that I look at it o_O

vorp- Haha, I love the idea behind your piece. One thing, maybe push your values some more. Most of your piece consists of the same value range so it sorta falls slightly flat. Push those shadows to give it some more depth.

tsujni- your style is sweet but I think you could maybe smooth out some of those lines just slightly. Very cool design though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy - the West-Indian history is complete mystery, I can totally see them using the advanced water system like that.
    Vorp - interesting take on how Egyptians built those massive structures, my concern - the 3-leg system with "points" touching the ground may be highly unstable for a machine dealing with heavy blocks. Cool design though.
    Ethion, tsujni
    - I second Trashy, keep doing the good job guys.

I vote for vorp, because of constructive design

Last edited by Paul Dolgov; March 3rd, 2008 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ethion Nice idea. I think your rendering confuses the form a bit too much though. That is, my eye can't quite decide where the surfaces are moving in some areas. Tightening up the structure with more construction and then rendering could help a lot.
    artistpavel Very clean and tight. Cool to see a simple 3d render textured like that. Struggling to find something to improve...okay, there's a bit too much light on the bottom of the right-most spindle? Feels a little 'floaty' as a result.
    Trashy I really like the feel of yours. Very loose and expressive. A bit tighter brushwork, especially near the base of the structure, could help. Love the figures.
    Vorp Er, yeah, some contrast would be nice. Couldn't see the forest for the trees on that aspect. I think I was trying to mimic David Roberts and failed. Learned a lot though. : )
    tsujni Cool concept and crazy wires and such! Definite Metropolis-ness. Could use some smoothing and a bit of cleanup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's my real finished piece (but not for voting):

I wasn't able to post it on Marcht the first, cause I finished the piece while going by train to Switzerand and after arriving, there were internetprobems That's the live ^^

I'll vote for trashy I love the concept.
    Vorp is cool, too...but I think, there could be more deep in it...more contrast.
    tsunji is a ittle bit confusing... Looks like a little like this one Star Wars robo
    and artistpavel: like it, too.... Its so sharp rendered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethion View Post
    *** snip ***
    tsunji is a ittle bit confusing... Looks like a little like this one Star Wars robo
    *** snip ***
    That's odd.
    C3PO was a derivative of Maria, from Metropolis.
    So, I guess that makes mine a derivative of a derivative.
    However, I was thinking more of Maria than C3PO.
    That said, Lucas and I used/stole from the same material.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's amusing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much improved Ethion. Very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, vorp

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.