Art: A select few
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A select few

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A select few

These are a few pictures whittled down from a larger collection. Each is done with colored pencil on colored paper.
    I'm new here at CA, and hoping to find more helpful, constructive critique than I have at other sites. So please, don't be afraid to be ruthless : ) I'd appreciate any criticism.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think their arms are a bit too thick. Other that that, very nice pictures. Great use of colour and anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I think their arms are a bit too thick"..

..No, they're not.

But I think maybe there's something wrong with the head of the lady on the right (first pic). Her face looks to big. Just my opinion.

Otherwise, great art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arms seem fine. Not everyone has "model" arms and they seem to fit with the bodies.

On the first picture the girl on the right... it seems her right eye (the only one showing) is too close to the nose. Well, it seems like the eye is just too wide.

These are exceptionally technical colored pencils. I've always found them extremely difficult to use compared to other drawing mediums such as charcoal, graphite, etc. And when I color I prefer to use paint. Although, I have to say, your use of the medium really has me wanting to try it for myself again.

Your use of composition and positive/negative space is well done and I am extremely happy to see implied line. That's something I wish more artists would pursue as I feel it actually strengthens visual connections. You could actually do with it a bit more and not outline so much. Although I am happy to see it at all hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh heh... can I disagree with both Troll and ealvin? Everyone has different anatomy, and none of the anatomy here looks unbelievable, and even if it is a little "off", it adds to the artistic quality of the piece, it starts to show the artist's hand, which is better than a perfect representation, as that's what cameras are for.

However, that being said, the last image is having issues, mostly with the gradations. You're putting more color variation in this one and it's getting away from you a bit and starting to flatten out. Her forehead reads as an abstract shape rather than a forehead that is stretched skin and muscle over very hard bone. Her sternum is also losing it's sense of anatomy. This is all mostly due to the evenness of the gradation, since it's not following the form at all. The others I think are marvelously done. I like the slight wonkiness in the anatomy because it shows it's not just a projected photo, and that's a huge plus in my books. So yeah, it's really just the last one that I'm having issues with. A little more attention to how the form turns and it would be as stellar as the others. Rock on.

Cheers,
    ~d

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a beautiful technique and it serves you very well with your tender yet tough sense of form. However, I'm not too sure what these pictures are 'about'. OK they are pictures of beautiful women but the hints at narrative are slipped in as an afterthough making them just 'nice studies' pretending to be a little more.
    However, I like them and hope you post more. Welcome to CA!

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see any problem with the anatomy, the composition is very well, great use of colors. your strokes and Lines are strong and expressive , most of all it captures the eyes and I think you have great potentials.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful technique. The top lady on the right is O.K what's upsetting the views is the slight off highlight on her chin, if you put your finger over it the problem goes away. But again I don't mind that as it adds a unsettling feel to the piece. What kinda color pencils U using?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like these a lot. It seems to me the first one is about abortion? (But I could be off on that). I wish the grout in the tiles on the last piece continued on to the end of the page. Right now there is nothing to lead your eyes to the end of the page, they hover around the middle. The tinted paper is working really well for all of these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kinda color pencils U using?
    Prismacolor colored pencils : )

And thank you everyone for the strong comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bennett View Post
    You have a beautiful technique and it serves you very well with your tender yet tough sense of form. However, I'm not too sure what these pictures are 'about'. OK they are pictures of beautiful women but the hints at narrative are slipped in as an afterthough making them just 'nice studies' pretending to be a little more.
    However, I like them and hope you post more. Welcome to CA!

Even thoo I agree with you in some sense, doesn't women with bloodied bellies just scream "abortion trauma"? In that case the less you show of it the creepier it gets... It also make me hope I read it wrong.. :/

Definitvly agree with the welcoming thoo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beautiful

I saw your work at the CCS Scholastic Artshow. These pieces look 10x better in person. I think the eyes in your pieces are amazing..and the hair is perfect..how do you get your highlights so white?

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a few anatomic anomolies however that is something you can see regularly in Nagel. After all he drew the same woman everytime. The thing is he was never as liberal with his light or color choices as what you demostrate. You've switched light for dark in these works for a mouth wateringly atmosperic result.

I've seen conceptual stuff similar to this where sci-fi stuff was added like elecronics and tubes or fairy wings. Stuff I would really love to have done, but you're technique adds to the narrative in a way that alludes sophistication without clutter or gimmicks. Still, it is something to consider. The poses aren't quite what they could be.

Seriously good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by carnalizer View Post
    Even thoo I agree with you in some sense, doesn't women with bloodied bellies just scream "abortion trauma"? In that case the less you show of it the creepier it gets... It also make me hope I read it wrong.. :/

Definitvly agree with the welcoming thoo!
    That's a good point and I agree with it. What I mean is that all the elements of the picture as a whole do not relate to the 'story' being told in the way they are composed. If this were happening then there would be no need for the rather obvious bloodied bellies etc and the thing could in fact be told in much subtler ways. Or in more direct ways if that was what one wanted. The principle is the same.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What he said!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is fantastic! Its up at ccs and I hope too see more in the future!

"Violence Solves EVERYTHING!" - Bill Maher

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very beautiful technique!! Wow. Good drawing, nice colors...

I have some crits for you though. (ain't it always the case?)

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the first one. Is it that she lulls one moment, then dances the next? Because if you are trying to show that kind of contrast, the second girl doesn't really look all that lively in terms of her dance. Maybe if the technique with which you rendered her was more "free" and alive the second figure would seem more of a contrast to the first and the picture would be more understandable.

The second picture is my favorite. The poetry of the hair and face especially is gorgeous. I just ignore the symbolic stuff with the hand and the thorns and all that stuff because the poetry is in the drawing.

Its interesting how you go from flat outline to round form in the last two. But you don't seem to be doing it for a purpose other than to play with it. Which is cool, but like Chris Bennett said, it makes it look like studies, or practices.

I hope you'll wed your amazing technique to some phenomenal work in the future. Best of luck!

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.