Sketchbook: SPACEY animation concept sketchbook - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: SPACEY animation concept sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your artwork is very original. While your sketches are very good, your choice of exaggerated colors makes you art work original

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you got your own thing going on with colours definitely, maybe add some still lives, but since you don't go in rendering and don't use "natural" colour it might not be too useful for you. But learning to draw shapes right length comparing to each other "also called block-in" you could try this with pencil and objects, outside drawing enviroments and so. I did this for a while and it really helped

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

Aaaaargh! Now that I look at those ape studies I see I need a bit more jungle book a-go go going on. I thinks its the colors in PS. I always try not to get to painterly. Keep it cartoony or Johnny Questy or whatever. Just sort of above the rim of believability concerning how much work one might put into the color if they were animated. Although two tone shading has its place, in terms of animals it needs time.

Nettle-tell me more of this block-in process. I never used it when I was growing with nature studies. If it helps me sharpen the tones on things like hair,fur, or other nefarious substances then great!

Here's a study of an EMO girl who knows everything and needs no one.
    Name:  access9.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  49.4 KB

Till all are one!

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Cartoon Series!

This is from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia! I love this show so much, but do they really know where Philadelphia is?

Name:  IASIP.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  186.7 KB

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good work with all those animal sketches, they are looking good, and so are the face sketches.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your animal drawings are really strong- I think their my favorite posts in here . You've got good character work too, I love the afro- black dynamite looking guys. I adore the 60's-70's for style (especially 60's cars *drool*)
    On thing in noticed is your neon fetish. For this I'd suggest a less is more policy. If everything is neon it's not only harder to look at - but you really loose your impact. If you choose your colours strategically you can force the viewer's eye- and really control the flow of your scene.

Below I've got 2 squares.
    In the second square everything looks flat. All the colours are equal intensity. In the first image you have more of an illusion of depth. The dull cool colour recedes, the yellow is more of a mid tone, and the red, brightest, most intense and warmest comes to the foreground.

I love looking at colour boards for big budget films. It's amazing how much impact it has.
    Maybe try exploring this area for a bit. Look at different styles of film- Black and white movies have amazing tonal pattern that's often lost in more modern media.

In any case- happy sketching

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Life is a Mystery...

Hello HK-good of you to still be stopping by as these are the busy times of the year. But then, when aren't the busy times for artists!?

Rhubix-Nice to finally see yo up in hea as well! Y'know a lot of people tell me about my colors but I'm pretty hard headed. I won't be offended if you point to a particular pic where I could adjust colors so feel free. I'm not so sure about this example as the color in one of the BGs is naturally darker then the one with both bright in front and back. I tend to look at the background as being dark altogether in most cases.

Anywho, no color in this one cept the roses. I really wrestled with whether I should color the figures but in the end decided to keep that info out of the pic. Oh well! You never know, I might add to it in the future but life is kind of a mystery...

Name:  mystery.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  62.7 KB

Few Chaotic landscape generator renders...

Name:  aexion-julia1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  123.1 KB
    Everyone Must Stand Alone,
    Name:  modbulb3-31.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  151.3 KB
    I Hear You Call My Name
    Name:  modbulb21.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  99.9 KB
    And It Feels Like Home!!!

See You!

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there good stuff here, I like your animals I know how hard it is to
    draw them realistic, I have some at my sb, I draw a lot at the Museum
    in Toronto.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya cout<mecha. I'm happy to clarify my suggestion.

I took your super fly retro piece and played with the colours.
    I tried to leave the background saturated but with a less intense red. and I upped the saturation of the figures.
    I feel it pulls the characters forward in space and pushes the background back.
    In this case, yes the background is darker, but in my first example the highly saturated background is actually darker in tone than the grayer image.

Colour is tricky that way- brighter doesn't mean lighter.

Backgrounds in animation don't necessarily have to be darker, but ideally you want your subject to stand out.

This could mean a less saturated background, or a more saturated background with more neutral characters

You could also do a warm cool contrast- In finding nemo everything is super bright and colourful but the characters are warm colours the backgrounds are cool.
    Similarly Ponyo has warm characters with cool backgrounds.

Another method is contrast- cartoons like Aeon flux and cibersix have high contrast characters and more neutral backgrounds - though the colours are fairly muted the characters stand out

Jem is a good example of keeping neons in the foreground and more muted tones in the back... except when they break into song.... then the whole thing goes into siesure mode

I'm not saying you should mute all your colours (lisa frank stickers are the bestest!!)- just explore utilizing them in different ways.
    Animators and visual story tellers need to abuse every advantage we can to get our message across

Anyways - sorry about the ramble
    Happy sketching!

Attached Images Attached Images    

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good tips from Rhubix. The colour fix is effective. Keep that stuff in mind next time.
    More updates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yabasta's Back.

Been doing some character studies on a couple of likely suspects from YaBasta and did these five characters up in the SB and scanned them in PS, no color yet, it's forbidden!

Take a look at these guys and tell me what you impression is. Can't reveal the story but I'll give a few character descriptions left to right. I really need some feedback concerning these first few characters lif-o-def!(fingers crossed).

Name:  YB1.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  176.2 KB

Charlie-complacent yet enthusiastic main character. Although surrounded by freinds and interlopers often finds himself living within a solipsistic existence. Graffitti artist and sometimes hacker usually usually roaming a favorite haunt if not hanging out with his roomate Agnes in a rented warehouse.

Agnes-Driven yet self absorbed gearhead, usually involved in some sort of technical endeavor. Stable yet passive central influence inside the warehouse. Rarely if ever leaves the house for any reason even if there is a rave. Seldom displays emotion aside from dissapointment.

Jimmy-Chilled out yet immensely curious frequenter and more often leach of the warehouse. Although he has romatic options chooses casual flirtations with Agnes. Seemingly useless, Jimmy is often a magician when it comes to finding gigs, parties, and drugs.

Rina-Bossy, bubbly nuisance with means. Curiosity beyond nosiness, queer and given to frequent moodswings from pleasant benevolence to voilent disenchantment. Manipulative when it comes to love interests which seems somewhat centered on Jimmy. Comes of as a groupie at times.

Minnie-Attractive, passive center of attention who sings in a band occasionally. Has difficulty taking anything seriosly and has a very short attention span concerning copious conversation. She sees her relationships with others as volatile even though she is inwardly dependant on others.

Name:  YB-2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  77.4 KB

I'm thinking they could be more stylish, stylised or different characters alltogether as it does take place in the not to distant futir!(NTDF). Real up in the air on this. Hiz-elp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, Seeing some improvement here! Your characters are certainly coming along. YOu say you want some feedback on the characters... My first couple of suggestions for NTDF characters is for you to check out some contemporary fashion. Magazines, photography etc. Some of the stuff is WAY out there and probably will be the fashion of the future generation so why not get ahead of the curve. Another source which might be right up your alley is Japanese fashion. I forget the name of the movement but they have a variety of eclectic styles and themes and there is a well established sub culture there. It seems like you have the "personalities" established and you are more focused on their look. If that is the case, why not do the paper doll concept and draw them unclothed and paint in their costumes over top. This way you can explore a variety of looks in a minimal amount of time. Last tip, pick out a basic color scheme for your character lineup and use just that when coloring them in order to unify the group.

That's it for now.

Have a good one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Love Train.

Hey cool tips Wheeljack! I am familiar with the Shinjuku style though I'm not sure that is the official name. I got discouraged with the characters and have since moved on to the next thing hoping to return after I get some distance again. I appreaciate you stopping by and will let your thoughts gestate for a little while. Got some other character work going on.

Working on animation with this character...

Name:  buddy copy.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  180.1 KB

Some characters for a synth rock band:

ROXY
    Name:  foxxy.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  100.3 KB
    RICKY
    Name:  ricky.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  72.1 KB
    IVAN
    Name:  ivan.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  72.5 KB
    JACK
    Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  80.3 KB
    SAM
    Name:  sam.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  80.2 KB

Till all are one!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry More Oil seeds!

I've been slammin down the color. So feast those beadies on my latest creators.
    Did a bit of a poster for this screenplay I'm writing. I've written em before and you can have a read on one or two at my homepage. Anywho this one was done as a visualization for "Rapseed" LOOKIT!

Sirenes!

Name:  cops1-copy.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  143.9 KB
    Prime Mover
    Name:  prime-mover-print.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  201.8 KB
    Th the that's all folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, your color selection is slightly better, but still hard on the eyes. I would recommend that you get some books on color theory if you haven't already.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

KRAY TWINS ANIMATION-Update(Script + Characterz)

During the holidays I worked on the script and characters for the KRAY TWINS series based of the illustration I created almost a year ago. I had a lot of interest and positive reactions specifically to that drawing so I wondered what a series might be like. It's sort of a toned down "blaxploitation" type of show. There's about a third of an episode written currently and you can download a treatment here:

KRAY SCRIPT

Here are some of the characters featured in the treatment. There are more but they need a little more designing and backstory worked out.

The Krays-the Kray twins are brothers, two of which are actually twins who go on super secret missions as bounty hunters and or specialized agents.
    Name:  krays.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  89.0 KB
    Elle-Elle is a myterious interloper who's path sometimes intwines withthe Twins businees, good or bad.
    Name:  elle.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  31.8 KB
    BLO-Blo is an informant who spies on the twins and other important figures with inventions of technology.
    Name:  BLO.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  25.7 KB
    Big Chill Posse Chill and his cohorts Icey and Cool T are a rougue squad who intercept bounty whenever and wherever they can using secret information.
    Name:  bigchillcool-ticey.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  98.2 KB
    Rolph Ruffalo-is a government liason who frequently calls upon the Twins for assistance with one thing or another.
    Name:  rolfruffalo.jpg
Size:  33.0 KB
    Sasha Green-Sasha is a character who has been heired a fortune by her late musician father Coltrane Lee Quincent Davies.
    Name:  sashagreen.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  27.1 KB
    Vincent-Is weathy investor interested in the purchase of some important rare recordings from the late musician's estate.
    Name:  vincent.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  71.1 KB
    Spacegirl-Spacegirl is a self made superhero who's objectives clash with that of the populace. She feels her motives are righteous and does whatever it takes to fullfill her goals regardless of who/what might be in her her way.
    Name:  spacegirl.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  38.3 KB
    Laurent Claudio-Not in the first script but he is a man of means, need a little work on designing but ran out of time...
    Name:  laurentclaudio.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  36.0 KB

Anyway that's it so far...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Recent Cel Animations Works

Along with the character designs for Kray I've been brushing up on the digital cel animation technique. Here are four examples picked all too randomly from my stray concept character ideas to help me refine the technique. You can see the final animations at the posted links.

First experiment : Elephant Rider

Here is the illus and the color version.

And the link to the animation...

Name:  ashwaria1.jpg
Size:  41.0 KB Name:  rai-test.png
Views: 321
Size:  57.1 KB

Here is a second closer look at this character, I had a little trouble moving this one. I think I like the idea more than the execution. I think there are some animations that don't really need to be done(at least not by hand) no matter how enticing the illustration might be...

And the animation link.

Name:  rai2.jpg
Size:  133.4 KB Name:  rai2.png
Views: 287
Size:  134.2 KB

Here are a few (12) frames from the Bacall concept image I created awhile back. I'm interested in the idea of a reboot of all of the noir films that were done in the 40's and 50's. I especially like San Francisco. A must see.

Animation Link

Name:  timeless-model.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  38.8 KB

Animation Key Frames

Name:  time.png
Views: 262
Size:  85.2 KB Name:  time2.png
Views: 267
Size:  87.5 KB Name:  time3.png
Views: 255
Size:  87.3 KB Name:  time4.png
Views: 259
Size:  88.5 KB Name:  time5.png
Size:  84.9 KB Name:  time6.png
Views: 270
Size:  91.5 KB Name:  time7.png
Size:  95.2 KB Name:  time8.png
Size:  73.7 KB Name:  time9.png
Views: 254
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  time10.png
Views: 263
Size:  64.4 KB Name:  time11.png
Views: 265
Size:  54.2 KB Name:  time12.png
Size:  60.9 KB

Taking from the previous animation I decided to try to model the resulting bug insect from the transform and match the 2D drawing with a 3D stand in that would then walk away and be able to achieve some mechanical 3D type perspective shots. Here is a comparison of those two objects, 2D to 3D...

Name:  compshot.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  43.3 KB

Lastly I wanted to give the original illstration for for the Survivor Robot which you may have seen in a previous post a try. Of course I've already taken this illstration into 3D and given it a MOCAP file to play with. I enjoyed the end result but thought it had a bit of realism to it and wanted to attempt a more cartoony version to compare with that as I love the original line work.(marked Shirow fan!!!) Anyways, here are a few frames of that and the resulting animation.

Cel Animation Version:

CG Animated Version

Name:  survivorpict.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  survivirbot.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  122.1 KB

That's all for NOW! Thank you folk for stopping inz!

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the posts #282/ 288 and the robot animation #289, they look very good,
    I also like how you mix the medias, it kinda looks realistic mixed with comic book characters.

What is that poster above my post, for what are you using it what is it for ?!
    My first impression is that it is kinda overloaded!

Last edited by iven; June 25th, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added some comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few new sketches for this new update. Just got a new sketchbook so I'm posting now. Don't know how regularly but enjoy!

Iven-THANKS! Not sure what post you are referring to when you said "overloaded". Hope it's good!

Name:  sk1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  sk2.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  sk3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  sk4.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  sk5.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  sk6.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  sk7.jpg
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  smokeu.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  play.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  toys.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  scape.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  444.2 KB

Name:  resister.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  resister2.jpg
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  cindy.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  cindy1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  django.jpg
Size:  264.3 KB

Name:  becca.jpg
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  fonseca.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  geisha.jpg
Size:  112.4 KB

CHIK YA LAETERRRR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good to see you still doing the updates.

People drawings are still getting better, keep up the studies. Maybe spend some extra time every now and then on a single drawing and make it really accurate.
    That last sketch reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell, in fact, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, a lot of your work is reminiscent of that old school cyber punk feel. Cool stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya cout<mecha

Nice to see you've kept yourself busy. I'm liking the addition of some environments in your latest stuff- You can never do enough perspective in our business! I never realized how much environments and technical drawing would improve my figure drawing- but I highly recommended diversifying. Having a better foot hold in perspective increased my productivity by a tonne- it takes me a lot less time to pose out my scenes!

I may have said it before, but your stuff is reminding me of Aeon flux - the cool cartoon- not the awkward movie attempt.
    I love that show & have the dvd collection

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Terry! Hope you're doing good!

Your style is crazy man.! haha love the Kray brothers, please take them further.

Keep doing those studies.... and i know you're obviously diggin the lines , but maybe try to introduce some light an shadow to your characters....i love the girl face in post 291, page 4, bottom center.....you indicated the shadow light area with lines, and it has instantly volume thus making it much more interesting to look at.

hope to see some updates soon!

cheers

Andi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your sketches and randomness in your sketchbook,
    If I post random stuff people tell me to draw from life.

But you obviously know how to draw I still learn basics!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question New Mechastyles

Dumping a few mecha concepts i'm experimenting with. any opinions on how this is going would be great. This is especially helpful if you'v tested the game while it was linked to my signature. Otherwise any input would be good. Still working on the architecture. You can see a preview of some uncut footage on YouTube right now here.

DO NOT COPY OR REPRODUCE THESE DESIGNS AS INSPIRATION FOR FURTHER 3D SCULPTS...THANK YOU!

mech video link

Name:  genfilter4.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  342.1 KB

Name:  genfilter10.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  498.1 KB

Name:  genfilter11.jpg
Size:  471.9 KB

Name:  genfilter13.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  371.4 KB

Name:  genfilter16.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  505.6 KB

Name:  genfilter22.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  789.4 KB

Name:  genfilter47.jpg
Size:  195.9 KB

Name:  genfilter54.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  504.1 KB

MERRY XMS

Last edited by cout<mecha; February 22nd, 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Members who have read this thread: 8