Proportions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Proportions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Proportions

I did this quick sketch on my tablet -20 minutes-, am still learning anatomy, and I hope if I can get critique if there are any mistakes in order to avoid it in the future.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First off, sketches and works in progress should go in the wip section (not your fault since there are no more stickies telling people that)

Second, I wouldn't reccomend using your tablet to sketch from life or reference if you're just starting off. simply put, they're slippery. Pencil and paper gives you more control, and it's usually best to learn the traditional medium as well.

Your lines are really tight. There's not a whole lot of flow to these. Flow and looseness is hard to 'get' easily, but things like lifedrawing classes should help. Here's a tip that helped me a lot recently:

In your life drawing class (replace this with posemaniacs.com's 30 second pose feature, try it and see) hold your pencil like you would a short piece of charcoal, that is hold like this:

and using you whole arm, make strokes on the page. 30 seconds won't give you a lot of time so even a stick figure will do. Look at the overall curves of the figure, DON'T try to get the outline 100% look at the curve of the spine, arms, sides of the back, legs etc. This is gesture drawing, and it helps immensly with flow. Do 30 second poses for a while to warm up, then try to get longer poses in there. You can spend more time being accurate on5-15 minute poses, but MAKE SURE you get that original gesture in there, and hold your pencil like I've shown. Keep your lines round and curvy, and really try to notice round shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason, I just had a question about the way you hold your pencil while sketching. At my art school I've always been told to hold pencil like I would when doing standard writing. (Between my thumb and forefinger.) I was just wondering if thats how you were tought and if it has any additional advantages that wouldnt be available when holding it your standard way?

Also Meisan dont be afraid to put structure lines in your initial sketches it will really help you help you out later with proportions.Sometimes the structure lines actually add more character to the drawing, giving it a more planned out blueprint look. Definitely take the tips Jason gave to heart they are all very vital to success.

But it looks like a pretty good start keep practicing by the way.

P.S. My first post on this forum have been lurking awhile now, but am looking forward to posting my sketches and drawings up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.