Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Maridius's sketches (updated 2 April, 09)

Thanks

Maridius's sketches (updated 2 April, 09)

Welcome to my sketchbook! This post is my placeholder for showing up-to-date progress and current skill level so I'll occasionally stick a new pic here. My first and following sketches follow this one. Cheers!
    Last edited by Maridius; April 2nd, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yeah, thats good

Thanks
    I succumbed to the general consensus that Loomis is above par as far as learning anatomy, so I started working with the 'Heads and Hands' book online after floundering around with skulls and lame attempts to get things right without a clue or a good map. Things got pretty fucked up as you can plainly see, then started to get a little better as I figured out Loomis's method of proportioning heads. The positions I struggle with I did over and over and these sketches cover roughly 3 days give or take. The other sketches are from the excellent 'Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters' by Robert Hale or from my 'Anatomy for the Artist' book. Enjoy laughing at my struggle to get it all to make sense!

No or I'll have to you.

I'm a big girl. I can take the pain.

*Update*

I stuck on Feb 29th's drawings (first 11) to this entry
    Last edited by Maridius; June 21st, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    Loomis says in his lesson after introducing a little perspective that we should alter the proportion landmarks to create different faces. As he says:

"In order to create differences in type and character, we may decide not to follow the basic measurements or divisions too meticulously. By varying the proportions of the three divisions of the face, we come up with a good deal of variety in the results. There are thousands of possible combinations. It is fun to experiment with them."

That is is, Mr. Loomis. That it is.

Now this is the type of drawing that floats MY boat ladies and gents. Will do more to work on keeping my chosen proportions solid and in better perspective.

Thanks
    Heya Maridius.

Keep those drawings coming. But one crit I could say is to use darker lines to make the drawings "pop" out a bit
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    Hey, Maridius, those Loomis studies are coming along just fine. You'll be a heck of a lot better once you get through the book. I've dabbled with some of his readings here and there, and even drawn some of his diagrams, but I haven't really had the time to go through it carefully. I'll probably start that after I get through Bridgeman.

One word of advice is to work on the quality of the line. The lines here are pretty thick and I think you could benefit from a sharper pencil point. A good way to practice line quality is to work quicker at the beginning to warm up the wrist and get some free flowing lines going. It doesn't necessarily have to be anything specific, just as long as it warms you up. Drawing from life a lot will also help in this area since one tends to draw quicker when observing things.

I really hope you can find a life drawing session in Federal Way. I've lived there for over 16 years now and I honestly can't think of a place that would hold something like that (but then again I didn't draw as much then as I do now). Even when I took a beginning drawing course at Highline, we used casts instead of the real thing. Maybe it has changed, I dunno. Anyway, good luck on that because I know it will help immensely. Keep up the studies!

Thanks
    Hey Maridius!
    I think u have some nice drawings in ur first post for the beginning.
    For ur Loomis studies I would suggest take more time to do them.
    Dont rush to try as many as u can just try to take as much time as u can to
    make them right. And after a while u will be much quicker!
    Always try to take as much time for sketching as u can and try to make them right it makes u see u wrongs better!
    And try to some gesture drawings outside of real people and use a ball point pen or a brush pen it forces u to concentrate on ur line and u will get loosen very fast!
    Another good book i would recommend u is the Vilppu drawing manual!
    i think it's a good book for beginning!
    Keep at it!
    My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I was also thinking if I scanned at a higher resolution that might help because I have a very light sketching hand and sometimes I can barely see what I draw, myself! I completely lost the perspective lines I drew so I'll do some more of that and make it clearer exactly what I'm trying for.

As far as life drawing classes around Federal Way, I'll have to check. Be great though, wouldn't it?

Thanks
    hey man, dont get stuck on the face already... its really important i know... but try to do more full body studies and add an nice face, i think u can learn much more and much faster
    Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call0ps View Post
    hey man, dont get stuck on the face already... its really important i know... but try to do more full body studies and add an nice face, i think u can learn much more and much faster
    Heh--I don't have the attention span just to slog through 'Heads and Hands' and not touch the 'Figure Drawing for All It's Worth'. You'll see some full body stuff soon

Thanks
    I cheated a little and used curves to darken my light pencil lines rather than go over them with darker pencil. I know, I know . . . but the last page I scanned in at 300dpi rather than the default 150, so maybe that will help.

My construction lines are showing. I'm so embarrassed. Oh and that one guy I kept drawing over and over--I was trying to get a pleasant smile like in the example but kept failing and turning it into a leer or grimace.

Thanks
    I'm also starting to work with Loomis books.

Right now, I'd recommend making the lines darker.

Other than that, can't really say anything other than to keep looking at those books.

Thanks
    I think the line quality has gotten a little bit better in the last post. You must be using a sharper pencil! How's that working out for you? I wish I would have gotten that far in the Loomis book, those expressions are probably very useful. I notice that most things that I make up are usually expressionless. It's okay to use curves so we can see your stuff, I'll admit that I sometimes use autolevels to bring out my lighter sketches. After all, you did draw it, so technically you could enhance it with whatever and it wouldn't be considered cheating (although I felt dirty too after I did that for the first time).

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast