Sketchbook: Maridius's sketches (updated 2 April, 09)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maridius's sketches (updated 2 April, 09)

Welcome to my sketchbook! This post is my placeholder for showing up-to-date progress and current skill level so I'll occasionally stick a new pic here. My first and following sketches follow this one. Cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Maridius; April 2nd, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, thats good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I succumbed to the general consensus that Loomis is above par as far as learning anatomy, so I started working with the 'Heads and Hands' book online after floundering around with skulls and lame attempts to get things right without a clue or a good map. Things got pretty fucked up as you can plainly see, then started to get a little better as I figured out Loomis's method of proportioning heads. The positions I struggle with I did over and over and these sketches cover roughly 3 days give or take. The other sketches are from the excellent 'Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters' by Robert Hale or from my 'Anatomy for the Artist' book. Enjoy laughing at my struggle to get it all to make sense!

No or I'll have to you.

I'm a big girl. I can take the pain.

*Update*

I stuck on Feb 29th's drawings (first 11) to this entry

Last edited by Maridius; June 21st, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis says in his lesson after introducing a little perspective that we should alter the proportion landmarks to create different faces. As he says:

"In order to create differences in type and character, we may decide not to follow the basic measurements or divisions too meticulously. By varying the proportions of the three divisions of the face, we come up with a good deal of variety in the results. There are thousands of possible combinations. It is fun to experiment with them."

That is is, Mr. Loomis. That it is.

Now this is the type of drawing that floats MY boat ladies and gents. Will do more to work on keeping my chosen proportions solid and in better perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Maridius.

Keep those drawings coming. But one crit I could say is to use darker lines to make the drawings "pop" out a bit

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Maridius, those Loomis studies are coming along just fine. You'll be a heck of a lot better once you get through the book. I've dabbled with some of his readings here and there, and even drawn some of his diagrams, but I haven't really had the time to go through it carefully. I'll probably start that after I get through Bridgeman.

One word of advice is to work on the quality of the line. The lines here are pretty thick and I think you could benefit from a sharper pencil point. A good way to practice line quality is to work quicker at the beginning to warm up the wrist and get some free flowing lines going. It doesn't necessarily have to be anything specific, just as long as it warms you up. Drawing from life a lot will also help in this area since one tends to draw quicker when observing things.

I really hope you can find a life drawing session in Federal Way. I've lived there for over 16 years now and I honestly can't think of a place that would hold something like that (but then again I didn't draw as much then as I do now). Even when I took a beginning drawing course at Highline, we used casts instead of the real thing. Maybe it has changed, I dunno. Anyway, good luck on that because I know it will help immensely. Keep up the studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Maridius!
    I think u have some nice drawings in ur first post for the beginning.
    For ur Loomis studies I would suggest take more time to do them.
    Dont rush to try as many as u can just try to take as much time as u can to
    make them right. And after a while u will be much quicker!
    Always try to take as much time for sketching as u can and try to make them right it makes u see u wrongs better!
    And try to some gesture drawings outside of real people and use a ball point pen or a brush pen it forces u to concentrate on ur line and u will get loosen very fast!
    Another good book i would recommend u is the Vilppu drawing manual!
    i think it's a good book for beginning!
    Keep at it!

My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I was also thinking if I scanned at a higher resolution that might help because I have a very light sketching hand and sometimes I can barely see what I draw, myself! I completely lost the perspective lines I drew so I'll do some more of that and make it clearer exactly what I'm trying for.

As far as life drawing classes around Federal Way, I'll have to check. Be great though, wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, dont get stuck on the face already... its really important i know... but try to do more full body studies and add an nice face, i think u can learn much more and much faster

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Call0ps View Post
    hey man, dont get stuck on the face already... its really important i know... but try to do more full body studies and add an nice face, i think u can learn much more and much faster
    Heh--I don't have the attention span just to slog through 'Heads and Hands' and not touch the 'Figure Drawing for All It's Worth'. You'll see some full body stuff soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cheated a little and used curves to darken my light pencil lines rather than go over them with darker pencil. I know, I know . . . but the last page I scanned in at 300dpi rather than the default 150, so maybe that will help.

My construction lines are showing. I'm so embarrassed. Oh and that one guy I kept drawing over and over--I was trying to get a pleasant smile like in the example but kept failing and turning it into a leer or grimace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also starting to work with Loomis books.

Right now, I'd recommend making the lines darker.

Other than that, can't really say anything other than to keep looking at those books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the line quality has gotten a little bit better in the last post. You must be using a sharper pencil! How's that working out for you? I wish I would have gotten that far in the Loomis book, those expressions are probably very useful. I notice that most things that I make up are usually expressionless. It's okay to use curves so we can see your stuff, I'll admit that I sometimes use autolevels to bring out my lighter sketches. After all, you did draw it, so technically you could enhance it with whatever and it wouldn't be considered cheating (although I felt dirty too after I did that for the first time).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm keeping that pencil sharpener where I can get to it that's for sure. It also helped to scan at a little higher resolution so if I have to use curves to bump up the contrast, there's more chance I won't lose my lighter pencil strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies I use loomis regularly too, he's awesome. Definitely good for starting out with he keeps things as simple as they need be. With the line quality, if you draw light the just time around, you could go over it again with a harder more confident stroke?
    Smiles are hard to do but those faces are looking better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! I tried Loomis but gave up too soon xD Have to get back into that again.
    What I also do is copy poses etc from photos (better would be life drawing). Also try to do quick sketches and not spend ages over one thing.. get basic shapes/proportions in.
    I came up with an idea for myself, when I am watching a dvd etc, I pause it every now and again and quickly sketch the people or the person on the picture at that time.

Well just my thoughts, keep it up, doing great

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lessons all from the 'Figure Drawing for All It's Worth' by Andrew Loomis and an opportunity to draw loads of pelvises shaped like the type of wheelchair athletic paraplegics like to use, the ones with the slanted wheels. I keep drawing the legs either too short or way too long, too. Among other, probably countless, faults. I went and taped the proportioned figure to my monitor so I wouldn't forget.

By the way, I simply cannot work with the female figure as Loomis shows in his 8 head division example. Where the hell are her hips? (Go look at it from that site that has the Loomis books in it, where male and female are divvied up according to heads) She doesn't have hips! I can't draw womankind without hips. Now I don't know what kind of women Loomis hung out with back in the day, but did these boyhipped models never take off their pumps? Like never? Not even for a life study? Cause if you look, Loomis draws in a pair of high heels on his otherwise perfectly nude drawing and even accounts for them in his measurements as if the shoes are as indispensable as her hands--and maybe they are. Maybe there are things we don't want to know here. Perhaps he had a shoe fetish. It's none of my business. Still, I think I'll study the 7 head-high female as she seems a little more substantial. If I ever have the urge to draw a super model type, Loomis honey, I'll be right there.

So sketches! Can any of you guess what kind of skull I drew in the last one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night before I finally hit the sack I uploaded my first apple painting for Bumskee's PS tutorial thread so I thought I'd post it here too so that more people get a chance to laugh at it. The advice I got over on the PS thread was to use a bigger brush and be BOLD with setting the shape of the apple. I see what he/she means. I have a bad habit of using sketchy lines and I don't yet have a smooth, confident stroke. But there's hope! I included a drawing I did right before joining CA that isn't quite as 'itchy', as I term my sketchy lines sometimes. In the case of 'Cathulhu' I was experimenting with using my arm rather than my wrist, to ink with and it did turn out smoother than past cartoons. It's a header I now use for my DA journal page--and I need to update the bugger to explain why I haven't been around lately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Maridius, thanks for stopping by my book. Interesting that you're in Federal Way, I'm up on Orcas in the San Juans

Anyway, looking at your apple there, a couple of things jump out at me - the first being the colour (which may be my monitor), but I'll assume for a moment that it's not. It looks rather pink. I'd suggest going with more of a yellow/green/red colouring. (of course, I haven't seen the apple that you are working from, and I am hoping that you were working from life for that - or at least a photo )

Bolder strokes would do a great deal to helping out the feel of the apple. Also, pay attention to where your light source is. In the drawing, you have it noted coming from the upper left, but on the apple, it is coming from the forward right. The highlight would have been in an entirely different spot. If I have time later I'll do a paint over to show you what I mean.

Also, your scans are *very* light. It was really difficult for me to see them, but what I could see looked pretty good. You should be able to adjust them in Photoshop.

I'd suggest working on following the contours of your subjects (excepting the gesture sketches, of course) and definitely work at smoothing out your lines. Think of it this way: one long smooth line instead of a hundred short broken ones. That's essentially what you are doing. Don't be afraid to use a bigger piece of charcoal as well instead of a sharpened pencil. Another thing you might try is working on something other than an 8x11 paper - that will help with your lines too.

anyway, just kabbitzing. Hope this helps some.

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback! You're right--I did use too much pink. I also had the apple on my desk with the light above and for some dumb reason I moved the highlight, realized it was off, then posted it anyhow. Kick me if I get lazy with the next one, huh?

I'll admit that when I choose sketchbooks, I think of whether or not I can get most of the page on the scanner bed and avoid the dreaded dark shadows or having to piecemeal the image.

Also, since I've been noticing several CA members live in the Seattle area, I'm watching to see if a life drawing session gets organized. I know it's a long trip from the islands for you, but do you ever get a chance to go to these or is it enough to hang out by Friday Harbor and draw the goofy tourists?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mariduis, Good to see you tackling the anatomy, you have the right books for the job. I think it would help you understand the figure and forms more, if you also tried a few simple shape exercises, you know, boxes, spheres and cones etc. As you do these simple shapes you wont be distracted by the complexities of the face and features, instead you'll be compounding your understanding of the whole form and how the light helps describe the shapes on the surface. Keep it up dude ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Maridius!!
    Lookin good mate!!! The Loomis are nice! Just try too keep ur lines clear as Oregano already said. Well u could try to use a ball point pen it force u to keep the lines clear. Well that's what i feel if i use one. Just try it.
    And if u have the possibilty to go to life drawing do it! Or go to a coffee and draw people! That would really help to improove ur lines pretty fast! Keep up u doin good!

My Sketchbook

www.ismilealot.com
    My Blogg and Homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things started going astray as I went along with some of Loomis's lessons on sketching out the main muscle groups and these poor men began to melt before I took stock and re-drew his examples so I could plug my brain with the right path. After I drew his, I started again with drawing them from imagination and I'm still at it.

Also I'm doing away with the .png extension for mere sketches from now on. I had to shrink these down to fit the kb limit for that file type. Hope it isn't too small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, Maridius! You must have not played in the snow this week! I see in some of these that the line quality is getting better (first leg study). Keep practicing at it and your lines will be clean in no time! Also do your best to get the proportions right every time as some of these figures are just a tad off. It's late, I think I'm going to go to sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies man, i just started working with the Loomis books myself, and i hope i will do as good as you've done it so far

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The thing that I'm noticing with your sketches is that you draw your feet too small. Here's a fun little excersize. Grab your foot and pull it up to your opposite arm. If you rest your heel in the nook of your elbow, you'll notice that your toes reach just past your wrist, or close to. Keep this in mind when you're drawing figures, it's a neat way to make sure that you've got the right proportions going on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gesture stuff and then getting into bones and muscles again. Can you where I work very late at night and get so tired I forget what I've learned? lol

Had a decent day today with the bone/muscle page and other than the first forearm study with the defective pectoralis major desperately trying to keep the humerus from flying away, I did OK. On that one, I drew the bones first then started lapping the muscles on top, so in the end I had an almost incomprehensible mess. If I do that again, I'll go light on the bones before I glue on the muscles.

Thanks for your input on my last batch, Jamesy, Daestwen and Xerotin! I'll keep an eye on the feet next time. As far as the figures being off, that should tighten up as I go and I'm hoping when my anatomy gets more solid, I'll make less errors and that includes the dreaded foreshortening boo boos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you've been busy Maridius - very busy

I am about to go to sleep, am currently in Bangkok, about to leave tomorrow and get back to Hong Kong, where I can uplaod my work that I've been doing here to the Bottega and to my CA.org sketchbook. But take consolation that your figures are starting to look a lot better than my crappy mannequin figures now.

Keep up the good work, you're improving with every update - more than can be said about me, hehehehee.

(Also, are you a girl or a guy? I got the implication from daestwen's thread that you were a girl, but I always thought you were a guy? Oh well, heheheh >:] )

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More internal stuff! Got to know where everything is under all that skin you know. I didn't render the hand on the arm studies but what I've got there is the arm going from palm out to palm in and how the muscle forms change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been revisiting the arm anatomy lately. I think it's the most complicated area for me to visualize the placement of each muscle. Even with the numerous studies I've done with them, I still have a hard time. These studies are looking good, so keep up the hard work!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1