Sketchbook: BUILT FOR CRIME - the big dump - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Matty this is some really cool stuf, please keep at it and keep posting!
    And thanks for coming by my sb.

matt

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh. Great job!! Love the colours and the lighting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your linework is good. I'd love to see some more color pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jailhouserock- thanks will do
    xinleh- thankyou appreciate the comment
    cookiedemon- i hope to have some more colour stuff on the way.

well here are some quick studies i did a couple are from ref and the others my brain, i really suck at figure drawing maybe cause i have never done life drawing yes you scream in horror well where i live there is no such thing, unless i travel 2 hours into the city so yeh it sucks. and i wouldn't have a clue what to do even if i went i have never had that kind of training i have only been drawing for a bit over a year now. at graphic design college we did 2 weeks of drawing where i learnt how to draw fruit and some perspective but then something happened inside me and i could not stop a teacher who was from france and graduated from that kick ass art school over there thought he would help me out so for a year i stayed back after class with him and he basically taught me all i know and we are now really good friends here's his site www.jeremylord.com

i also had to travel 2 hours everyday to get to college which gave me alot of train time to draw. and here is number two of my 50 faces thing from reference man this kinda stuff is so boring but i gotta do it.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the hard work matty its showing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just some doodles for ya'll, i have been writing a book for a fair while now prob six months its fantasy based dealing with time, and parellel universes and such centred around one character "Seth" or me really i have been writing it whenever strange things happen to me so basically if you were ever to read you can see a big correlation with my life and the book even the crazy blind man and giant dog like monster. ^^ i might post some of it for some light reading altho it is pretty heavy i want it to be the kind of story you have to read over and over to discover more about the strange worlds seth goes through, and whether it could really happen to YOU!

okay so this is the very begining of the book like first page and yes spelling and grammar fuck ups but hey its a draft.

10 years later.

A young man slumps himself down in one of the empty seats on his train carriage, the train is
    traveling west, homeward for the young man. The carriage is quiet for the amount of people
    traveling in it. He snaps out of a daydream trance, and reaches into his bag; he struggles for a moment then pulls out his ipod, to cure the boredom.
    "Shuffle" the young man says as he scrolls to the shuffle button.
    The song bellows with an almost startling intro, he quickly turns down the volume wincing at the noise piercing his eardrums.
    "This is an old song" he thinks to himself.
    He slips into a reminiscent state as 'Fortunate Son' plays triggering memories in his brain. It strikes a chord with his childhood a time unusual happiness, almost as if it were ripped straight from the script of a family television show.

The sun is shining as they drive into the air force base, the small car chirps to stop at the front gate. A guard wearing all blue steps out of his guard box and leans down to talk the lady in the drivers seat. She is young, about twenty with long golden blonde hair. Her half sister is sitting next to her in the passenger’s seat, wrapped in a beach towel, covering her bathing suite. The viewer of all of this is sitting behind the driver staring and listening to what is being said, with a silent curiosity. This is the young man, a past memory of his triggered by the song on his ipod which now bursts from the radio of the car, startling all present but the boy. “We’re just going to the pools” explains the young woman driving the small car.
    Like a film montage the boys memory flicks through the journey from the gates to the pool, showing to him what seemed to be important. The happiness the boy feels is only rivaled by the brightness of the sun.

Conscious thoughts become apparent as he comes back to the real world “I remember… that’s the day my sister got stung by a wasp in the pool toilets.”
    He realizes, but then becomes curious about the reason why that just happened, he thinks about the daydream, “Was there a reason for it?” he asks himself.
    The young man is actively conscious about all of his movements; he always questions everything at least for as long as he knows. Belief has never been enough for him, subjects like history, religion, science, philosophy and life itself interest him greatly, his curiosity drives him, ‘driven’ a word he wishes to have associated with himself.
    “Could be I’m going to be happy soon, or has something happened to my sisters, or is it a warning that the opposite will happen … hmm maybe I’m just being paranoid, just a daydream a memory that’s all.”
    He stares out his window once more, at the same scene flicking past; bored with this his eyes wander through the carriage. He feels disturbed by what he sees. The train is full of people but the people are all very different, not like the usual differences from person to person, the differences in stereotype, race and social calendar. He thinks to how movies tend to have extras much the same. A confident and white bread American sits to his left slumped down in his seat, then a dreaded young man in front of him, then a quiet withdrawn young girl. This is startling him more and more as he observes his surroundings. In front of the girl a tall black man, to his right two boys. Teenagers causing mischief between themselves creating unrest for an elderly woman directly behind them, now moving back up the right side of the carriage the same side our young man is sitting. A blind man sits between the elderly woman and the young man.
    The young man starts to become more disturbed and anxious as time passes, he just wants to be home. At the next station almost everyone leaves the carriage except the blind man. “ That’s weird” the young man thinks to himself.
    Now being totally alone in the carriage with the blind man, “Yes that was strange, wasn’t it?” the blind man speaks out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a farewell for a friend

my close friend annette is going away forever so i made this for her, im glad to say that she really liked it. there is alot of white space around it cause it was A3 and we all wrote messages in the white space.

Last edited by matty_mcmullen; May 18th, 2008 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been busy of late updates coming soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the UWS painting is really cool, your line work is really good and when you use colour it looks nice. you can see that you have gotten better throughout the sketchbook. oh and im from vic
    keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great drawings there and Like your colors works ! Keep up the good work !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the SB update! Checked out your blog, glad to see another person on a design course taking on the role of graphic designer and illustrator! I like that you are showing some of that in here! Hey concept art is design soooo........ it's appropriate more updates please, I'm hungry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Some really nice work here. Keep it up. Nice blog too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all finally have n update been busy with work and everything but ill put up the drawing of a painting im working on for my nephew jack who was born last week. it will be just the kid riding the dog lion thing, well i call it Cannius, and the boy is Seth they are both characters from my book im writing if you read above. and a rhino as well just felt like drawing one haven't done one before.

thanx everyone for encouraging comments and please dont forget to crit

Last edited by matty_mcmullen; June 12th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for dropping by my sb a while back, hey that ink is really great powerful lines man
    and your pencils look like they have gotten better
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    matty where have you gone!

Lovely stuff as always, I hope you update more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo nice graphic design work! Love the colours, graet job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches! I agree with xinleh about the graphic design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update finally

well heres some stuff from my sketchbook not much really, just all i had time to scan in and post up here. i have about five works in progress at the moment lol hopin to get them done soon just been super duper busy lately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a super quick watercolour, so over this it's unbelivable

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches, good to hear from you. Hope you update again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's been a while but im back.. for good.

Hello all!

Wow it's been a really long time since i have been on here. But I'm back, I think this time for good. Life has been pretty crazy for me lately, but i have now decided my direction in life. Which is hopefully a career in production design. Which means i need to get to work practicing. I hope you guys can really help me out, i would love to make some new friends on these boards.

But first a giant dump!

I know its in a pretty random order, mostly studies unless its something that you wouldn't consider to be sitting in front of me lol. Enjoy

Last edited by matty_mcmullen; December 11th, 2009 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more.

I have been trying to practice, digital painting has certainly been a challenge, but im just struggling i think. I dont draw enough it depresses me. I guess i just get scared alot of the time. Putting this stuff up is terrifying. I want to go to concept art atelier, but for the moment i know they wouldn't take me still need to practice more. I've kind of had a big shake up in my life i need something to focus on and art has got to be the biggest constant.

Anyway i hope you enjoy please crit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drawing for a book im writing, gonna paint it soon.
    and an older sketch another character from the book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more.

First a a quick rough portrait from ref.
    Second illustration for client. Done with pencil and water colour then some edits in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good to me. You’ve got good technical skill and an interesting personal style to boot. The combination of characters/objects interwoven with more abstract design elements is very nice. Reminds me of art nouveau style but with an original twist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought i might put up some character design process things. my process isnt at all set in stone but usually ill do a lose thumb showing the emotion and action of the character then a rough quick portrait. then try tighten things up and make sure im working to the brief. mostly im just trying to figure out how this character feels in this world. and what artistic style to proceed with.

the character is half man half chimp, he has some issues. this is for a comic a friend asked me to illustrate. it's noir in the 50's

Bergulf: thanks for the comment, i think that style comes from my graphic design background. and i love to mix rendered objects with graphic elements. and i checked you sketch book awesome stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im gonna see how some animal studies will go also been doin some portraits in photoshop really struggling tho most are just heaps shit. But ill be persistant hopefully.

German shepherd from ref. played with a rake like brush in ps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook Matt. You do have some great line work, plus some of your digital studies (such as the women studies in #51 and #52) are phenomenal. There are obvious improvements here, just keep doing what you're doing. I'm subscribing to this one.

BTW, I'm from Sydney, Australia too, doing a fine arts degree at National Art School at the moment. It's a pitty that there isn't too much concept-art-type education here. Ah well, guess I'll just finish the degree, keep doing extra life drawing and such, then hopefully follow you to concept art atelier one day if I get good enough

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your creatures and animals are just amazing. I can sit here, and just lose myself in your art, great, just great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Branflakes- Thanks, good to see another sydney sider.
    G_U_T_S- Wow thanks for your comment, good confidence booster.

I have started setting myself homework for each day when i get home from work monday means landscape painting and anatomy drawings, unfortunately i dont have a scanner so no drawings but heres the landscape anyways.

Today is another landscape and portrait i think if i get them done should be up tomorrow. Peace.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1