NEED HELP!! any advice is very appreciated!!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy NEED HELP!! any advice is very appreciated!!

I posted this message in the Art Discussion section of CA but no one has answered, I'm wondering whether anyone here can help me out. Thank you.

Hello,
    My name is Dayanna and I am a first year student at Savannah College of Art and Design. I'm Majoring in Animation and Minoring at the moment in Sequential Art, (possibly changing in the next few months). Ok, here is my problem. Even though I am a first year student I am considered a sophomore because of all the credits I brought in from my High School, long story short, I'll be done in 3 years.
    The problem is that now I am thinking of whether or not to major in Animation at all. I love animation and I know I want to get involved in it but I also love concept art with as much passion as animation. I've been asking around my professors and unfortunately they seem to be very biased when it comes to which major would be more fitting for what I want to do. I want to be able to be an Art Director some day and I need to know what path to take to lead me to that direction. I was thinking of possibly majoring in Illustration instead of Animation, but still minor in animation to sort of have a background in it. However, I'm really scared.
    I was also thinking that now they are possibly incorporating concept art as an actual minor here in school and ill be changing from sequential to concept art and I could just as easily major in animation and minor in concept and develop a strong portfolio in both areas so as to when I apply for jobs I'll be well rounded and maybe be considered for both concept development and animation.
    I would like to know what you guys think would be the best way to go? I really want to be an Art Director someday but don't know what I should do. Should I get a more in depth teachings in the field of illustration and focus on concept art, or should I go for animation and later on work my way to better understanding of concept and development?
    I know there are a lot of professionals in the field in this site, please help me...I'm really lost on what I should do. Thank you all for your time in reading this..I'll be looking forward to reading what you all have to say...please help!!..
    Sincerely,
    Dayanna.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The concept courses are currently in Seqa, so if you want to be a concept artist, you will need those courses (whether through electives, or major/minor). Are you wanting to be an AD for Illustration? Or Animation, or Comics, or Games? That's how you pick your major, IMO. You will need to know all about the business you are getting into if you hope to lead other artists in that field. I wouldn't do an Illustration major JUST because I wanted to be an AD. The principles they teach in that major are vastly different from the ones taught in others (especially since the Illo dept is very "fine art" based and the others are more "entertainment industry").

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    The concept courses are currently in Seqa, so if you want to be a concept artist, you will need those courses (whether through electives, or major/minor). Are you wanting to be an AD for Illustration? Or Animation, or Comics, or Games? That's how you pick your major, IMO. You will need to know all about the business you are getting into if you hope to lead other artists in that field. I wouldn't do an Illustration major JUST because I wanted to be an AD. The principles they teach in that major are vastly different from the ones taught in others (especially since the Illo dept is very "fine art" based and the others are more "entertainment industry").
    I want to be an AD for Animation actually. Yeah, I see your point when it comes to getting the knowledge for that field. Also, I am planing to minor in Sequential so far but there is a rumor going around that there is going to be a Concept Art Minor starting Fall of next year. I've also asked my adviser about it and she impersonally asked the adviser of the SEQA department and she said that it has been approved but that it only needs to be approve some things to be put on the catalog for next year. So right now I'm sort of waiting and waiting to see what happens during the Spring quarter and if there is more concrete information.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.