Looking for Good school near Dallas Texas.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for Good school near Dallas Texas.

hey, thanks for reading my post, I'm trying to find a good school, and someplace, near around Denton, or Dallas texas would bo okay, any suggestions would be nice!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are going to be pretty limited.

The University of North Texas does have an arts program.
    Its not that great, and there is very limited foundation type work.
    Most of it when I took some classes seemed very limited in you actually being taught. Then again, if I could go back and start it all over I would probably get alot more accomplished. I am sure it can be a good program if you put your time and mind to it. At least two of the professors that I had were decently successful artists that did some really nice work.

They do seem to put more stock into their comm design program, and recently (this spring) started some kind of gaming program.

SMU has the GuildHall thing, which I believe is a game design program.

There really don't seem to be many other options.

At the Society of Fine Arts in Dallas http://www.tsofa.com/ you can find some figure drawing workshops.

Lastly there is the Art Institute of Dallas, a two year Art Institute program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it sounds like its better than anything that I could get in Arkansas.

Isn't SMU guildhall, really toughf to get into?

I'm guessing that you have been the U-of north dallas...that gameing thing starting this spring looks kinda nice (or sounds kinda nice really) Of course sound reason tells me that "there is proabley a good chanse that they are getting onto the bandwagon with the rest of the collages, and are just after peoples money"

=sigh= but I'll work with whatever I can get man! I'll just put more into it that the other students and hopefully I'll come out swinging.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    hey, thanks for reading my post, I'm trying to find a good school, and someplace, near around Denton, or Dallas texas would bo okay, any suggestions would be nice!
    After a quick look through your sketchbook, I wouldn't recommend the Art Institute of Dallas (I graduated from that a few years ago), mainly because it's an accelerated program and I think you would benefit more from a 4-year program with, ideally, plenty of opportunity to practice life drawing and anatomy, and get direct input from art instructors and your peers.

It's news to me that UNT is starting up a game art and design program (unless it's in addition to the computer programming bit that I've heard about before); I graduated from there some time ago when there was also a small illustration program along with communication design...so unless you're interested in graphic design I'd probably not recommend for you...but it might be worth checking into, nonetheless.

SMU Guildhall I hear about on occasion and I see some of the students at the Dallas sketchgroup sessions (when I have free time to attend); I'm not sure what the caliber of their graduates are or what the instructors are like, so it's worth checking into that, I suppose...particularly if you want to work in game development.

UTDallas also had/has a game art/design program I believe, and I think there are a couple of artists here on the CA boards who are taking some art program at UTArlington -- maybe they'll post some insights for those two schools.

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much tatiana! (I proabley won't be attending the Art Institute of Dallas now!)

http://iiae.utdallas.edu/

I was thinking about this place! ^^

heard anything about IT?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    Thank you very much tatiana! (I proabley won't be attending the Art Institute of Dallas now!)

http://iiae.utdallas.edu/

I was thinking about this place! ^^

heard anything about IT?
    You're welcome.

IT? Nope, not a peep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOPS! I ment it, not IT!

hehe, I was talking about the collage I linked! But thanks for dropping by!

I requested information, and Today I'm going to look at the student gallery...I saw an animation...didn't look the best, but could have been worse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana View Post
    After a quick look through your sketchbook, I wouldn't recommend the Art Institute of Dallas (I graduated from that a few years ago), mainly because it's an accelerated program and I think you would benefit more from a 4-year program with, ideally, plenty of opportunity to practice life drawing and anatomy, and get direct input from art instructors and your peers.

It's news to me that UNT is starting up a game art and design program (unless it's in addition to the computer programming bit that I've heard about before); I graduated from there some time ago when there was also a small illustration program along with communication design...so unless you're interested in graphic design I'd probably not recommend for you...but it might be worth checking into, nonetheless.

SMU Guildhall I hear about on occasion and I see some of the students at the Dallas sketchgroup sessions (when I have free time to attend); I'm not sure what the caliber of their graduates are or what the instructors are like, so it's worth checking into that, I suppose...particularly if you want to work in game development.

UTDallas also had/has a game art/design program I believe, and I think there are a couple of artists here on the CA boards who are taking some art program at UTArlington -- maybe they'll post some insights for those two schools.

t
    Yes, for a long time, as I assume you are aware, there has been a game programming course. For a long time they would do a pairing of I believe comm design students and game programmers for a project during the year.

As a Spin off of that it seems they now have a quasi game design/art program now. It just started this last year. I can dig up some more info on it monday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Utdallas is starting to look REALLLLLLLLLYYYYY good =drool=

as long as tituition is more affordable than fullsails...(honesltey, how does fullsail expect anyone to be able tokeep up with thier cirruculum, and still play for houseing, and....its just impossible...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I feel what your going thru. I Move from California to Arlington to attend the Fart institutes ( whatever you do , don't set foot in that school), but all the art schools out in the DFW won't do much to advance your understanding of concept art.
    You will basically will have to teach yourself all of the drawing skill your going to need.
    And if you think you cant do that, the creator of Dinotopia only attended Art Center for a semester or so, most of his skills came from setting up a study program for himself.
    Get out of you mind that you are going to get that type of training in the DFW, get your figure From Mentler , TSOFA Dallas, study Hogarth, Vilpuu, and Loomis( for head studies)
    and you should be fine. Take your education in your own hands, cause if you don't, you will become a hack. O yeah, and get the DvD series http://alienthink.com by Riven Phoenix,that will teach you artistic anatomy faster than you would learn in school. There is an Atelier in Dallas
    and it seems to have promise its called the Sophia art academyhttp://www.sofiaacademy.com/atelier.asp

Still get your degree, but it wont matter much from where ( no Fart institutes) as long as you stuff looks good and thats up to you.

I hope I was of some help

Here s some of my stuff

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by humanNature6115; March 3rd, 2008 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot HN6115!

Its kind of nice to know that I can take my education into my own hands...I'm going to look forward to it! (see, now me sitting for hours in front of a desk, teaching myself means something, none of this "well, arent they going to teach me, but better in collage?")

No more waiting, time to start aiming to be professional!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.