Thanks

How long does it take you to finish a sketch book?

hey all, well i was just looking through my sketch book thinking how slow ive been working through it. just curious how long does it take you to fill up your sketch books? mine is 100 pgs and blah im trying to use it all up by the end of this month which i think is slow IMO. i have recently been working more and more on my drawings, bout 1-2 hours a day. eh not that much but i know it will add more. besides, school and hw takes up a lot of time -.-. btw my SB is 9x12. thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It depends... my sketchbooks vary widely in size and page number. First I tried to work in several "themed" sketchbooks (animals, hands and feet, holidays...) but this didn't work for me because I was constantly searching for the "right" book which kept me from drawing... .
    Then I decided to put everything into one book, which works nicely. However, I still have a larger one (for drawing at home or for drawing at a place I know I will be drawing, like the zoo or a museum or a castle) and a smaller one which I have always on me as long as I'm carrying a suitcase, bag or rucksack, just for the occasional 5-10 minutes time which can be filled with drawing.

Because of my special approach filling the sketchbooks it usually takes me about 3-4 months to fill one. It's always exciting and inspiring to start a new one and it slows down to the end.

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    my $.02

A good sketchbook is like a good novel, in that you shouldn't check the page # you're at and how long you have left to finish. If you're into it you'll keep going and be supprised when no pages are left.

I try and keep multiple sketchbooks, as well as working on separate sheets of paper/markerpaper ... this keeps my mind off how busy (or not) I am untill I knotice a pile of artwork under my desk.

Thanks
    Honsetly it takes me forever...

I draw on everything but my sketch book, i have hundreds of post it notes with sketches and drawing i do at work...then from post it's i work on thumbnails for commissions i get hired to do once in a blue moon...

Thanks
    I keep 2 sketchbooks.
    One for work, and one for play. I prefer not to get them mixed up.
    It feels more personal when your book isn't bombarded with revisions from someone elses ideas.
    The fastest I have ever filled a 50page book is 3 days
    The slowest I have ever filled a 50page book has been months.

Thanks
    2 weeks 100 pages. thats the fastest ive ever filled one up. i find that buying really really crappy books works good for the blank page-itus. i also keep multiple books i think ive got 7 or so flying around right now. the thing is dont think about doing good work just work and work alot every spare second should be devoted to your book. i always tell myself if im sittin im drawing.
    Josh
    ive also tried the theme book with little success, the crappy quality book thing works better for me.

Thanks
    blah the problem with crappy quality books is the ones i use have spiral to hold the papers in and when i bring it around school or in my pack it gets all bent which i should instead use my "black book" one which would be a better idea. i have a thing of finishing one book before i start the other :bash:

the deep, dark, menacing jungles of Australia.
    Thanks
    well I don't know how many pages mine have but I filled one up in 3 days . boy was I surprised when I turned the last page and found only the cardboard backing instead of more sweet paper...
    art is fun and addictive. like coffee. I like coffee too.

Thanks
    Originally posted by catterpillar
    well I don't know how many pages mine have but I filled one up in 3 days . boy was I surprised when I turned the last page and found only the cardboard backing instead of more sweet paper...
    man... the cardboard backing is the sweetest. You can use gel pens on cardboard and look really cool. The cardboard backing is the most interesting page of my sketchbooks.

Originally posted by underdevelopedbrain
    i find that buying really really crappy books works good for the blank page-itus
    you have the "skizzenblock", don't you :mad: I hate crappy paper with all my heart. Give me 150 g/sm!
    Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    I use the "skizzenblock" alot for my sketches, i like the incredibly crappy surface they have, keeps me away from details and everything else resembling a finished drawing. Keeps me moving on you know.

It usually takes me 6 months to a year to finish one, but i use six or seven of them. I like to stack up with a lot of sketchbook when i have the money then i use the one that is closest.

My fastest fill is 26 hours for a 100 page book + some loose pages. It was for a setdesign. After a change in the script the shootingcrew decided they needed a new set, so the poor boys in artdepartment had to start drawing. I only produced crap that day since i had never done setdesign and was there as a setpainter\propdesigner (the props i did was mostly everyday stuff like scrolls and stuff in the background, the set ended up fairly good though, but not thanks to me and my 100 pages .)

Thanks
    Normally I use a couple and pages to sketch on, so average is probably 2-8 months. I think I even finished a cheap paper sketch book in about 2 or 3 weeks. They really do make you look at the paper less sparingly.

Thanks
    A tip to look at paper less sparingly (it worked for me)

always have 2 sketchbooks extra, that you don't draw in (just waiting in line)

Everytime i finish a sketchbook, I always buy a new one. So I always have this feeling of "i have a shitload of paper to draw on"

I've done 45 pages into "my" current sketchbook in 11 days. I've done alot more than 45 sketches/studies in these 11 days, but those count as school art

once you pop, you cannot stop!

:chug:
    Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    I usually have 2 or 3 going at a time. Sometimes it takes a year and a half to fill one up and sometimes it takes three months. Some sketches I will rework for months and work back and forth on different ones... Its just a fun way I like to handle my sketchbooks...

-Joshua

Thanks
    Originally posted by underdevelopedbrain

ive also tried the theme book with little success, the crappy quality book thing works better for me.
    wow...cool idea... I'm definately going to try that.

thanks for the idea...

-Joshua

Thanks
    I've done 45 pages into "my" current sketchbook in 11 days. I've done alot more than 45 sketches/studies in these 11 days, but those count as school art

wait... make that 56+ pages in 11 days... I just can't stop drawing.. something weird is happening :eek:

EDIT: 60
    Last edited by Kortez; September 28th, 2003 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    I think I have four going right now and I am just starting out so only one of them is almost full. Took about a month I guess.