New and Old; Critiques and Advice Please

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

New and Old; Critiques and Advice Please

• Pepper Expecting, PSCS

This is my submission for ''The Pepper Project'' by Imaginary Friends Studio.

I created this image for the contest, but I also wanted to get some critiques on this piece and my work in general. I have been working to improve the amount of texture in my work and the way I use color and light.

Please give me an honest assessment and some advice for improving my work. Also, it seems like the market is flooded with so much talent. How do I get my work noticed among the masses?

Here are a some details, a WIP image and a couple of my other pieces.

OTHER WORKS

• Katherine, PSCS

• The Frog and The Kidney Bean, PSCS

• Happy Tuesday, PSCS

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bradyscott; February 27th, 2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added Thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks

Question Little Help Please

No body has any advice or critiques at all? I'm here to try and improve my work. Seriously guys, do your worst, let me know what you think.

Thanks
    The thing that I'll say is that you are very creative and you certainly have your own definitive style going for you. Your colors are very strong and you've got an eye for design. Also, I would commend you on getting your Photoshop work to look like colored pencil. My favorite piece that you've got up there is Happy Tuesday, probably because of the giant kidneys and veiny things.

Personally, I enjoy illustrative pieces like the ones you've got up. But I've found that not a lot of illustrations such as these get a lot of love here. Some do, some don't. There is a particular style that people enjoy here, and it takes something stellar to grab their attention.

Your work is good, but honestly it's not my favorite style of artwork. My wife on the other hand would probably love your work.

As far as critique goes, the 2 things you should work on is defining and emphasizing your light source, also working on the proportions of your figures. Your pregnant chick, didn't look pregnant at first, I thought it was some fat chick in a thong. But then I saw the headphones and it clicked. A viewer needs to get the image immediately and appreciate the art afterwards. The idea needs to be clear as crystal, otherwise you'll lose your viewer. Reference would carry you a LOOOOOONG way. You've got the skillz, so bring in some reference, and ground your images into something people can easily recognize and you'll find that your art will improve 10 fold. And you'll probably garner more attention and respect.

Keep it up, I'd like to see where you'll go with your work.

Thanks
    Well thank you very much corspufo. Love that crazy squirrel avatar too. I really appreciate the feedback and the inspiring words. I will definitely take your advice on reference and light source.

I was also happy to here that the ''Happy Tuesday" piece was your favorite. It is also my favorite. The big vain kidney things represent hardship and loss.

Here is the companion piece that I made for it. They are a little old but I like to keep them around. This one is called "Morning After" and it represents the return of hope and the little pieces that we carry with us from our past experiences. They were both made to remind myself of the people around me and what they go through when I am having a hard time.

Thanks again and I look forward to exploring the net for more of your work. Best of luck!!!

Thanks
    it's a very good companion piece. And this style is growing on me. I like the backgrounds a lot. The soft blur that's going on, it has a nice comfortable depth to it. I like it a lot really. Good stuff.

Here are a few links to my work:
    Illustration: http://www.fluffalo.com
    3-d: http://www.fluffalo.com/3d-Art
    Graphic Design: http://www.fluffalo.com/graphic

Thanks
    Hey thanks again man. Real happy to hear. I think I learn a little bit with every new image. I'm excited to try out some new stuff as well. I want to try and loosen up a bit and ad more textures.

I'm currently using a Graphire4 tablet, but I have ordered an Intuos3. Can't wait to see what it can do and how it will effect my work.

Happy painting to ya Mr. Corspufo!

Thanks
    Hey, you'll find a HUGE difference in what you can achieve with an Intuos. I have been using Graphires since the Graphire 2. But just recently, thanks to a lot of freelance clients, I was able to buy myself the Cintiq 12WX. I've noticed a HUGE difference in my quality of work practically over night. Also, at work I upgraded from a Graphire 4 to an Intuos 3 and I love it. I can't stress enough, program your Express keys!!!! They will increase your productivity tremendously. If your hands never leave the tablet, you get so much work done.

Keep it up dude, talk to you later!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.