Art Schools
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art Schools

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Schools

Hello,

I've been looking at doing art for a living for awhile, and I would like to ask a few questions about art schools. I really want to do Animation in regards to games, but I don't know which schools are good in this respect. I've done a small amount of research using artschools.com. A series of schools that looked good were the "Art Institutes" particularly the one in Vancouver. If any of you could please help me in this situation, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Art Institutes vary in quality between schools, but are generally rather poor. I'd suggest Ringling, SVA, or Academy of Art University if you want a degree, and G nomon or Vancouver Film School if you don't.

Last edited by Meloncov; February 25th, 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the art INSTITUTES vary in quality...although most are pretty bad...on the other hand, Art Center, in Pasadena, is a great school, though not so much for animation. The other schools Meloncov mentioned are definitely worth a look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, typo. I fixed it.

EddTQ is offline You don't need pants for the victory dance Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If i lived in the US i would probbaly try and get into full sail
    http://www.fullsail.com/
    Their alumni are always winning awards, being nominated for grammys and the like! - also the courses are really good-looking!

"why do people with bad breath always want to tell you secrets?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a link to a whole heap of highly accredited art schools as well:

http://www.aicad.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, no offense, but Full Sail is not highly recommended, on that note, make sure you really study a school before you decided to attend, I've looked and visited many schools, the only one I liked was Ringling, although SCAD is also pretty good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Hmmm, no offense, but Full Sail is not highly recommended, on that note, make sure you really study a school before you decided to attend, I've looked and visited many schools, the only one I liked was Ringling, although SCAD is also pretty good.
    Better yet, go visit the actual schools when you narrow down the list. See what's on the walls, see what the students are producing, ASK questions of the Admissions people, talk to the students there, do they have housing, see where their alumni are working, where are their recent grads going, check out their instructors (are they working instructors or professional educators?), and get a feel for the place. Do you feel as though you fit in on that campus?

Again...ASK QUESTIONS and feel right about the place before attending. It's buyers beware! Don't go blindly into it like a dope. It's your education. Take charge of it; be responsible for it.

And even if it doesn't seem like the right place after a semester or two, move on. Again, find out what works for you. There isn't a one size fits all school out there (if there was, everyone would attend it)- what's right for one person might not be right for another.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    I don't think Full Sail is a bad school, but they don't teach art. They just teach you how to use the tools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm from Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto. We offer top quality instruction, small classes and affordable tuition. We are looking for serious, motivated students who can take direction and have a professional attitude. You can learn a lot about us by visiting our website (click below).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    I don't think Full Sail is a bad school, but they don't teach art. They just teach you how to use the tools.
    That sounds strange, what do you mean by teaching how to use the tool as opposed to teaching art ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by enrigo View Post
    That sounds strange, what do you mean by teaching how to use the tool as opposed to teaching art ?
    They teach you how to use the softwere in great detail. However, they spend relatively little time teaching how to make a compelling image, how to develop concepts, and how to tell stories. In other words, it's a computer use program focused on graphics, not an art school.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.