IDW #61: Coffee Maker - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Digital Blacksmith

12 30.00%
  • arttorney

0 0%
  • Beer

2 5.00%
  • D-Holme

7 17.50%
  • Trashy

2 5.00%
  • mcmatz

10 25.00%
  • GusTheRobot

2 5.00%
  • electric goat

5 12.50%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #61: Coffee Maker - Voting

IDW #61 Topic: Coffee Maker

Deadline for voting: Sunday, March 2

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #61: Coffee Maker

Last edited by yoitisi; March 1st, 2008 at 05:36 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: Digital Blacksmith

Artist: arttorney

"Question: How do you know when you are through making love? Answer: When the coffee's ready!"

Artist: Beer

Artist: D-Holme

Artist: Trashy

The Alchemist's Coffee Maker
    Recently discovered in ancient ruins this strange contraption might be in fact one of the first coffee makers ever made. Old traces of coffee beans were found within the object. It's believed that is was created by a alchemist. How this alchemist used this contraption to create coffee is still baffling scientists across the globe.

Artist: mcmatz

Name:  mcmatzidw61Coffeemaker.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  97.8 KB

Artist: GusTheRobot

"I bet it only makes quadruple shot espressos"

Artist: electric goat

Icoffee
    the icoffee! complete with charging dock that is also a mug handle when you are in "icup" mode. the icup position utilizes the groovyest in electromagnetic technologies which allows the icoffee to float while remaining completely bonded to the handle . when the icoffee is tilted beyond a certain angle, the atomic matter generation unit is activated and coffee is expensed from the spout, at the specified amount and temperature of course. connect your icoffee to your icomputer and download the generation codes for the most desireable beans from all over the world. from folgers, to cat crap, only the icoffee can brew it all. syncronize your icoffee to your itunes and listen to music based on your coffee downloads. for the best in portable coffee units, buy this mofo.

Last edited by yoitisi; February 24th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of notes on this round as usual:

First off, in the original thread I already mentioned that not everyone followed the brief as strictly. Apart from that, I think I should also note that when picking a style and rendering your piece in that style doesn't necessarily mean that you designed it in that particular style as well. Remember that most of these modern art styles found their translation (or even roots) in Architecture and Industrial Design and not necessarily only 2D graphic styles. Imagine your design being made in a CAD program or as a real model, would it still fit your style or was it actually the rendering of it that made it look that way? Combining both rendering style and design style makes for a strong image, but leaving out the designing part makes for a dull design.

MarkDN: I didn't include you in the poll as I said in the original thread already. Better next time

Marmentido: Same story, check the original thread please.

mcmatz: Next time could you please use an outside host like Photobucket or Imageshack? I had to copy your attachement this time, and since you were the only one this wasn't a big deal but if everyone would do that I'd end up doing a whole lot more work than I bargained for

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    comments-

Digital Blacksmith- I think you had a good design but the problem is the solid blacks. Your coffee maker gets lost in that black. I think you could of added possibly more from to it and colors just to give it more shape.

arttorney- Woah, crazy lines man. Just watch the perspective on the top of the cylinder and think about pushing the values more.

Beer- Hmmm...theres just a couple things I'm not sure about. I think the shadow might be off in this one. It just doesn't sit right. I'm not sure also but on the top the square part has a tilt to it on the right. Was that intentional? I think the design and value are there...but theres just a couple odd things happening in it.

D-Holme- I like the design! From a technical standpoint you got the perspective good. Just try to clean up your lines some more and watch the thickness in them. There alot of large black lines going around the shape that could be toned down more.

Me- Rushed pieces=wonky perspective and wonky overall design. Remind thyself not to do the design last freaking minute...it doesn't work most of the time The style might be there but yeah, this was pretty much thrown together with not really much thought behind it.

mcmatz- You got the best design here easily. It's fun and fits the style pretty much dead on. The linework is better also. I remember the tattoo gun you did, this is alot better. I seriously want one of those. Nice work!

GusTheRobot- Um...I gotta be honest...don't hurt me but...how is this a coffee maker? When I look at it I see some kind of radical game joystick with flames shooting out of it. I just think maybe there there was a couple things that needed working here. Maybe actually showing and defining more where the coffee comes out of it would make it more clearer.

electric goat- You know what, the ideas sounds sweet! I just wished that I could see it in action more. kinda like showing it making and brewing the coffee.

Last edited by Trashy; February 24th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trashy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digital Blacksmith Good color pallet and presentation, but what i think is really killing it from being awesome is the heavy use of thick outlines. If you thinned those up a little bit, and smoothed out some of the edges i think it could be a really nice presentation.

arttorney Interesting idea, i like how you went for the 'jackson pollock' style and really tried to design a coffee maker using random lines. However i think you got a little carried away with the lines and your design starts to play second to the color and texture of your lines.

Beer Good design, it generally makes sense easy to see where the coffee pot is, etc. I think what's killing you here is more on the presentation level: The perspective on your machine is good, but the shadow doesn't quite fit into the environment. Overall good job, well done.

D-Holme Very fitting of the style, pretty nice descriptions, and the presentation is fitting of the style itself. I think you could have pushed it a bit further and really refined it to a cube, or divided block, but that's just personal preference.

Trashy Interesting idea, pretty good execution, i'm liking the texture of the coffee machine and your use of lines. However some of your perspective is a little weird, so the machine doesn't quite sit in space as good as it could. It seems a little flat. It would have been cool if you made the layout like some ancient document some archaeologist dug up or something.

mcmatz Cool design, excellent descriptions, good rendering, overall fitting of the style. I almost went for the siphon style filtering system as well. Unique take on coffee. That being said, some of your details are still a little small which makes it a bit hard to read some of the words.

ME hmm. was really more of a speedpaint than anything, just testing out brushes and then i decided to push it a bit further. Didn't plan out anything, just started playing with shapes. I could have gone about this a little better, made more thumbnails, experimented with form... etc. I'm happy with the brushes i made, the design... meh... it gets the job done i guess. Though i think it would be kinda fun to have some super neon glowy coffee machine sitting on my counter.

electric goat haha. that's sweet. Technologically plausible? Maybe not so much, but still fun nonetheless. As far as fitting into the apple design language you could have refined it more, the handle isn't very pronounced and instead seems like a glorified stand. Apple really analyzes the usage of a product and makes it as stripped down as possible while still making the usage straightforward to any passer by. Check out Dieter Rams (did ID for Braun in the 80's) he's got some pretty cool design philosophy. HOWEVER. I like your concept, it's really fun.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Bot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I needed to say sorry for the nexts users: Digital Blacksmith, arttorney.

Because i show the first sketches of a proposal which did not have the technical ability to do.
    I found many limitations when you try to do my earlier proposals, changed completely, I desesperate and ends did something terrible.

ME penalty gives this show work so bad ... But I think it is necessary
    I have many problems with the prospect (geoemtria in general), with the blending modes, I am new user wacom tablet, and pohotoshop I do not have much time working with him.
    I would like someone who could give me advice to be better

yoitisi : OK, it is better that I carried you rating, the truth is that when I saw the final result not satisfied, I am wrong.
    I hope to learn from my mistakes and be better in the next challenge

I congratulate everyone for their effort, the truth is that they are interesting proposals.

MY NEW SKETCHBOOK

OLD SKETCHBOOK

CUANDO EL HERMETISMO DEL SILENCIO SE ESCUCHA , CONFUSIÓN Y ORDEN PACTAN.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marmentido: I'm not entirely sure that was what you asked, but it's ok to show it in here to get some comments on it If you want to know more about drawing technical stuff you might want to check out the mentoring thread in my signature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teh feedbackz:

Digital Blacksmith: nice bold image, but i don't think it feels like a design concept drawing as much as it is 'graphic art'. Maybe the presentation style should be more in line with the unit's style? still, the heavily stylized approach is appealing and quite forgiving, and the form of the unit says "coffeemaker"

arttorney: appealing image, but the design doesn't match the style of presentation... i'd expect a pollock inspired coffeemaker to be expressive, and based on a tactile, physical, personal kind of interaction... the actual form of the percolator is really static? however, experimenting with the presentation is worthwhile as well...

Myself: thanks for the crits, Gus, Trashy. admittedly very rushed, i took a photo of some quick pencil sketches and colourized and added highlights using a mouse in photoshop. the coffee carafe doesn't quite sit correctly in teh unit there are some sloppy elements (the shadow is reasonably noted as 'off' ... i should have done something either blurrier and more subtle, or actually made an effort to project the form onto an imagined ground plane). I also should have textured the surfaces to look like concrete blocks as opposed to smooth planes, and even bulked the whole unit up quite a bit,if i wanted to really evoke brutalism. The intent was to have angled sides on the top portion to make the unit "loom" over the carafe, but this isn't communicated very clearly.

For future challenged (?) ill also consider a background frame, supporting text, etc, to give the image some context, i like what people have done with that.

D-Holme: Nice unit, i like the rendering... the design and presentation fit well with the style. I like where you have the various block elements continuing through and stacking, as opposed to ending where they meet.

Trashy: appealing image, i like the background graphic elements you're presenting with. as has been said i don't find the form of the unit communicated in a convincing way.. if it's deliberately wonky, showing some elements like tubes or the mug that are more typically cylindrical in form would let us know that the coffeemaker itself is kind of zany? nice colour treatment of surfaces.

mcmatz: logical enough to believe, appealing mechanical complexity. I would play up the external drivetrain more, give it a full steam engine setup with 4 bar linkages and multiple pistons and valving. Appealing nostalgic kind of rendering.

GusTheRobot: I definitely see this is more of a psychological mission statement for the product than a technical style image, so we've gotta think how that device speaks of coffee and coffee experiences. it definitely communicates the stimulant aspects of coffee!!! ...but not the comforting warmth of coffee... definitely has more of a future european aesthetic to it rather than north american ideas of coffee... it also seems kind of dangerous! fun ideas though.

electric goat: to me the design says little about coffee, and i think even instantaneous matter generation devices would reference the physical warmth and cultural traditions of coffee if they were coffee specific devices? i also don't think the spout has a form that works with human lips. definitely points for pushing the boundaries though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crits y'all! ill post mine when i get a chance. i kinda threw this one together when i saw that there was only going to be a few entries. next one will be more refined.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, thanks for the critique. I really need to break out of the dark lines and learn to thin them down a bit. Ive just been trying this new inking style, and I guess its not working as well as I hoped, but I do have alot of votes as of so far, so I might be sticking to the Art Deco thing for a little bit to see how it goes. Now for critiques!

............Well, I suck at critiques. So I shall say this: What they said is what I would have said.

But good luck to everyone, and I might return when we get something small like this again, and not a massive behemoth automation.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i thought the two strongest entries here were D-Holme's and Electric goat's.
    Both theses entries had a really strong sense of style to them that clearly reflected a design movement from past or present. Holme's Modigliani stylee coffee maker looked great, the only thing i would pull it up on was that i was fairly simple design-wise. More like the movement's style had been applied to an ordinary coffee machine, rather than an original piece fo design work. Still great through.
    Goat was my winner, his ipod design was really quirky and the description backed it up strongly, really capturing the modern american approach to both coffee and media.my crit for mr.Goat would be that although the device part of the design was nicely rendered, the stand/holder seemed a little rushed, simply by comparrison.

well done guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    according to "industrial design" i think mcmatz did the best explaining chart. so he got my vote.

Digital Blacksmith owns the grafic-award

according to the "Trend-Style-Award" i would prefere the i-coffee from electric goat. I miss a bit of explaining words, arrows or how-to-use-visualisations in the sketches. try to pimp up your surfaces a bit - they look quite "stony".

D-Holme's assosiation with "De Stijl" is nice - i like the way of "designer-thinking" (even if i personally can't stand De Stijl). Good adaption though.

Good work alltogether!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    [to Digital_Blacksmith:] I looked at your last win in IDW and 10 of your 12 votes were from people that mostly had 0 posts, with a smattering of 1s and 3s.

smells fishy.
    Since this was brought up in public in a new round I think a little explanation is in order.

Although not against the letter of the rules, inviting friends from other forums or rl to get an account here just to be able to vote is not something I approve of. You can just as well create multiple accounts and vote for yourself, as 9 out of 10 of your friends will vote for you anyway. It is certainly not a win to be very proud of in my opinion, and renders this whole contest a bit useless.

However, since Digital_Blacksmith seems to have understood my point of view on this matter I won't take any further action -this time. If I see this happening again I will see to it that the person doing it is removed from the poll and possibly banned from this activity.

If anyone wants to say something on the matter feel free to send me a PM, because I'll close this thread now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.